Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumour] Canucks in on Iginla ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
175 replies to this topic

#151 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I don't think adding Iginla would push this group over the top. It wouldn't be Iginla, it would be his supporting cast. There's just not enough to get this group to the Cup let alone win the Cup.

#152 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Iginla is a great player but does anyone really believe he is the second coming?  Is he singlehandedly going to take us to a cup final?

Whatever it will cost to get him means that we won't have anyone or anything else to try and shore up the rest of the team.  Our cupboard is bare folks, and trying to sell the farm for one player who'll only be with us for the rest of our season is, IMHO, insane.

We don't have the prospects, we need our picks and I, for one, am not willing to give up Schneider (as some have proposed) for a   ~25 maybe 35 game rental.

The second comming? No but one of the great leaders of the game...clutch performer and can score alot of goals. I ask you....who is the second comming? Ive been on this board for years and every time an elite player comes up he's either too expensive, a defensive liability or too old. So we either over pay, in your opinion, or we lose. Im sick of getting guys that WE think are TWO way players that cant score. At some point we will have to take a risk and cross our fingers.

#153 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I would love to get him.He would come here as he started his minor league in Kamloops and knows how we are about the game.I wouldnt give up to much for him, but again we have to get younger next year.I would get him tell the flamers that we are only useing him for the playoffs then they can resign him.I would then trade Luo,Ballard,Raymond and next year kesler plus Bieksa if we get something good for him.This way we get younger and stay a great team.
Posted Image

#154 Melons

Melons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

The second comming? No but one of the great leaders of the game...clutch performer and can score alot of goals. I ask you....who is the second comming? Ive been on this board for years and every time an elite player comes up he's either too expensive, a defensive liability or too old. So we either over pay, in your opinion, or we lose. Im sick of getting guys that WE think are TWO way players that cant score. At some point we will have to take a risk and cross our fingers.

Cross your fingers?!? Sell the farm for a "cross your fingers?"

Arguably Iggy fits all three of the criteria you listed:

1. Too expensive. What will he cost? Is it worth it for the amount of time he'll be here? Will his cap hit allow us to fit in another player at the deadline (or is he really all we need to lift the cup?)

2. A defensive liability. I'll let you do a little reading but there is an argument, if you follow hockey analytics, that he is. His relative corsi numbers for this year are better than the past few years but still negative.

http://kuklaskorner....puck_possession

3. Too old. 36 this summer. Not that he'll be here for long.

Home run! How can we lose?

I'm all for a hockey trade in the next couple of weeks, in fact I really want some new faces for this team. We cannot, however, sell the farm for one player. Does anyone really think this is the one move that puts us over the top? If he can be had for the right price, sure. Great player, might be worth a shot. We've seen our depth (centers, RHd anyone?) when just one person goes down. What will we look like 1or 2 years from now down one NHL ready prospect and a pick or two from this year's draft?

#155 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Cross your fingers?!? Sell the farm for a "cross your fingers?"

Arguably Iggy fits all three of the criteria you listed:

1. Too expensive. What will he cost? Is it worth it for the amount of time he'll be here? Will his cap hit allow us to fit in another player at the deadline (or is he really all we need to lift the cup?)

2. A defensive liability. I'll let you do a little reading but there is an argument, if you follow hockey analytics, that he is. His relative corsi numbers for this year are better than the past few years but still negative.

http://kuklaskorner....puck_possession

3. Too old. 36 this summer. Not that he'll be here for long.

Home run! How can we lose?

I'm all for a hockey trade in the next couple of weeks, in fact I really want some new faces for this team. We cannot, however, sell the farm for one player. Does anyone really think this is the one move that puts us over the top? If he can be had for the right price, sure. Great player, might be worth a shot. We've seen our depth (centers, RHd anyone?) when just one person goes down. What will we look like 1or 2 years from now down one NHL ready prospect and a pick or two from this year's draft?

Ding ding we have a winner!

Also try reading what Lame fans expect back for their God, it would take Jensen + Schneider + 1st ... for a guy who is past his prime, doesnt backcheck, lazy on the forecheck and not an impact player anymore. Oh did i mention he's a UFA and might not even re-sign...

These people have been reading too much of the "Iginla is a class act and a great Captain" crap from Alberta.

He makes us slightly better, but not make us cup contenders or put us over the top.

Hopefully this is just McKenzie making crap up to get some ratings.

#156 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

for all of you lost in dream land this deal wont happen unless schneider + is going the other way.

It depends what the other teams are willing to offer. No way the Pens give up a guy like Schneider for Iggy

#157 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Ding ding we have a winner!

Also try reading what Lame fans expect back for their God, it would take Jensen + Schneider + 1st ... for a guy who is past his prime, doesnt backcheck, lazy on the forecheck and not an impact player anymore. Oh did i mention he's a UFA and might not even re-sign...

These people have been reading too much of the "Iginla is a class act and a great Captain" crap from Alberta.

He makes us slightly better, but not make us cup contenders or put us over the top.

Hopefully this is just McKenzie making crap up to get some ratings.

Pretty critical. How many hours have you spent watching him play this season?
Posted Image

#158 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Too bad San Jose is asking a first and a top prospect, on top of Vancouver being HATED to the core by Clowe

It would be like if we got Messier....

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#159 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

This.

#160 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I could see Iginla playing with a whole new urgency and intensity in a new environment like Vancouver. He offers something the Canucks currently don't have in a complete player, and putting him with the Sedins sounds so intriguing. The difference it would make to the power play alone is worth considering.

To the naysayers, give your heads a shake. Iginla only has a few years left - when he signs a new contract, he'll want to be with a team that has a chance in the next 2-3 years to win, which makes me think he'll re-sign with the Canucks. I'm okay with giving a first round pick to get this guy. We have the goaltending and the defense. We need more offense and sandpaper for the playoffs, and Iginla offers it.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#161 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I don't think it is that people don't want Iginla, it is that people realize the price for us would be too much and that Calgary wold prefer not deal him to us.

I think they are confident in the goaltending prospects they have. Ramo is doing great in the KHL, Then Brossiot, Gillies, exc.

I think they would ask for Kassian or Jensen which is a no go from our POV.

This. And that deal they can't refuse is something we aren't doing.

The thing people keep forgetting is it's really not up to calgary. It's up to Iginla. IF and thats a big IF (which I don't think it the case), Iginla said Feaster I will only waive my NMC to go to vancouver, Feaster has no option other than to take what he can get. If he doesn't Iginla walks and signs with the team of his choice in the summer and then calgary would get zero return.

1st, Raymond, and a conditional 2014 2nd/3rd would probably do it.

Could iggy want to finish his career in vancouver, possibly?
-He has a place and family out in Kelowna,
-he's not far from Calgary where he's family will stay most likely until the school year is over,
-he's still be in a canadian city which hockey is number one, and
-he's on a stanley cup contender.

Do I think a trade will happen? Probably not, I think it's just speculation for all the reasons mentioned above. But the main thing to remember its not the best offer that wins, it's where iginla wants to go.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat, 20 March 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#162 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Good fit but worth too much

#163 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

http://www.thescore....ested-in-iginla

#164 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Just saw that too^

It's definitely possible that we're interested, but showing interest and actually giving a fair offer are two different things. Don't see it happening
Posted Image

#165 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

It really depends on what we're giving up for this guy.

I don't see us giving up too much for Iggy. After all, Kesler is coming back and we already have a small prospect pool as it is.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#166 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Rather have Jagr

#167 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Me thinks its time to reunite Bouwmeester and Ballard who actually were a very good pair together? Maybe its a place we could actually get some value for him for that reason? :)

Ballard, Lack, 2knd

Babchuck (RHD, decent puck skills, rental) and Iggy. If Bab's is not going to be healthy, Sarich is healthy scratch RHD at $2 mill for healthy scratch LHD Ballard at $4.2. Sarich could be a depth defender, but he has a ring?

Lou for Orlov, 2knd and Ribiero.

Sedin/Sedin/Iggy
Burrows/Kesler/Kassian
Raymond/Ribiero/Hanson
Higgins/Lapierre/Pinizzotto Booth later rounds?

Edler/Tanev
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Garrison/Babchuck

PP Edler/Babchuck

Not serious - but also, the "would never want to do that" part assumes two things:
1) that Kipper's not on his last legs in Calgary and Irving is a viable replacement
2) that things that Feaster does make sense.

Also, not that it changes things, but:

Kipper - .876sv %, 3.27gaa, one year left on his contract.
Irving - .883 sv%, 3.33 gaa, RFA

Regardless, if Iginla were coming this way, Calgary would have to take back salary - if they're willing to do that, there are only a few candidates on this end....

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 21 March 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#168 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Me thinks its time to reunite Bouwmeester and Ballard who actually were a very good pair together? Maybe its a place we could actually get some value for him for that reason? :)

Ballard, Lack, 2knd

Babchuck (RHD, decent puck skills, rental) and Iggy. If Bab's is not going to be healthy, Sarich is healthy scratch RHD at $2 mill for healthy scratch LHD Ballard at $4.2. Sarich could be a depth defender, but he has a ring?

Lou for Orlov, 2knd and Ribiero.

Sedin/Sedin/Iggy
Burrows/Kesler/Kassian
Raymond/Ribiero/Hanson
Higgins/Lapierre/Pinizzotto Booth later rounds?

Edler/Tanev
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Garrison/Babchuck

PP Edler/Babchuck

Ribeiro as a 2C and Kesler as a 3C and the Canucks win a Cup.

You want Ribeiro to push the secondary scoring aspect of the Canucks' game and you want Kesler to stop production from opppsition's top lines.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 21 March 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#169 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

One of the great leaders of the game ? In 16 seasons he has led his team to the playoffs 5 times and Calgary is a team that has spent to the cap. Keenan, D Sutter and B Sutter have all made comments of how Calgary's dressing room had problems/issues and mentioned that Iginla is very quiet in the dressing room . While being quiet is not a bad thing, I dont really see why he gets a claim of a great leader ?

Clutch performer ? In the 04 playoff run he didnt even register a shot in both game 6 and game 7. Last season when Calgary was making a push for the playoffs he scored 1 goal in the last 10 games. In 2010 when calgary was pushing for the playoffs he went scoreless in his last 11 games.

Dont get me wrong, Iginla is a good player and a great goal scorer but I think he gets overrated by alot of people. And at the end of the day, for what it will cost a team to get him out of Calgary, id prefer Vancouver passes on him.

#170 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

One of the great leaders of the game ? In 16 seasons he has led his team to the playoffs 5 times and Calgary is a team that has spent to the cap. Keenan, D Sutter and B Sutter have all made comments of how Calgary's dressing room had problems/issues and mentioned that Iginla is very quiet in the dressing room . While being quiet is not a bad thing, I dont really see why he gets a claim of a great leader ?

Clutch performer ? In the 04 playoff run he didnt even register a shot in both game 6 and game 7. Last season when Calgary was making a push for the playoffs he scored 1 goal in the last 10 games. In 2010 when calgary was pushing for the playoffs he went scoreless in his last 11 games.

Dont get me wrong, Iginla is a good player and a great goal scorer but I think he gets overrated by alot of people. And at the end of the day, for what it will cost a team to get him out of Calgary, id prefer Vancouver passes on him.

Hmmm good point... does anyone have that picture of him phaneuf and kipper smoking cigarettes and drinking with what seemed like women who mmay or may not have been on serious drugs lol?

Or was that jusy phaneuf n kipper? Either way he's an impact player right now... and slightly over rated
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#171 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hmmm good point... does anyone have that picture of him phaneuf and kipper smoking cigarettes and drinking with what seemed like women who mmay or may not have been on serious drugs lol?

Or was that jusy phaneuf n kipper? Either way he's an impact player right now... and slightly over rated

It was just Kipper and Dion.....

#172 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

No thanks... living in Calgary ive been watching him for a number of years now and he is not the player everyone thinks he is. He floats way too much, is a defensive liability and rarely do you see the 'power forward' in him. He is great at sitting in the slot and waiting for passes or playing the dump and chase game. For what it would cost to get him, id pass.....

Yeh? well did you have a copy of his points record in front of you, over these "number of years"?.....67, 86, 69, 89............Which years was he floating because AV will cut that out in a heartbeat.
Kevin.jpg

#173 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

I could see Iginla playing with a whole new urgency and intensity in a new environment like Vancouver. He offers something the Canucks currently don't have in a complete player, and putting him with the Sedins sounds so intriguing. The difference it would make to the power play alone is worth considering.

To the naysayers, give your heads a shake. Iginla only has a few years left - when he signs a new contract, he'll want to be with a team that has a chance in the next 2-3 years to win, which makes me think he'll re-sign with the Canucks. I'm okay with giving a first round pick to get this guy. We have the goaltending and the defense. We need more offense and sandpaper for the playoffs, and Iginla offers it.

No first rounder but give up Booth and Connaughton. Liklely gets it done. Booth can score 30 and will be a top two line if not top line in Calgary. Connaughtn is the carrot, still highly regarded bc of his pp prowess and shot but not looking like he is in the cards here. Throw in a second or third and thats a TON for a rental. No one will offer that and no hurt to our roster

#174 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

It was just Kipper and Dion.....

He is a quality (Iginla) guy on and off the ice. I have actually spent a decent amount of time having drinks with him in a small social setting. I hated the flames before I met him, still do but have to say, this guy is everything the press makes him out to be, tremendous individual, respectful, high class all the way.

We would be LUCKY to land him, and he will not only help the sedins, the young guys but more importantly I think Kesler, to become the leader he is capable of and to lose his ego.

This would not just be about a run, its about bringing a REAL LEADER, in the mold of the greats to help this team. We are lacking that MG needs to get this done.

#175 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yeh? well did you have a copy of his points record in front of you, over these "number of years"?.....67, 86, 69, 89............Which years was he floating because AV will cut that out in a heartbeat.

Scoring points has nothing to do with his style of play or whether he was floating or not. Try watching a few Calgary games and see for yourself how he plays and dont just look at the scoresheet at the end of the night.

If Keenan nor the Sutter's could change him, why do you think AV would be able to ?

#176 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

He is a quality (Iginla) guy on and off the ice. I have actually spent a decent amount of time having drinks with him in a small social setting. I hated the flames before I met him, still do but have to say, this guy is everything the press makes him out to be, tremendous individual, respectful, high class all the way.

We would be LUCKY to land him, and he will not only help the sedins, the young guys but more importantly I think Kesler, to become the leader he is capable of and to lose his ego.

This would not just be about a run, its about bringing a REAL LEADER, in the mold of the greats to help this team. We are lacking that MG needs to get this done.

Ive actually worked at a hockey camp that he was at and I agree completely with you that he is a great guy and complete class. I have all the respect in the world for him as a human being and im not trying to make him out to be a horrible player/leader. I just dont think he is the answer we need.

If Iginla couldnt help Phaneuf and his attitude then why do you think he will help Kesler ? Iginla's leadership reminds me of Naslund's when he was here. Both very classy individuals on and off the ice, both very quiet leaders in the dressing room and tried to lead by example. If Gillis thought the sedins still needed that type of example, then he would have made an effort in keeping Naslund instead of letting him walk.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.