The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Hansen become a 2nd line player?

Lychees

Now I love Honey Badger as much as the next guy but I was having a chat with a friend and he thinks that Hansen has become a 2nd line player.

Now there's no doubt that he has the effort, the will, the speed to become one, however I think that just because we lack a real second line threat at the moment that Hansen has stepped up but to a second line skill? I think he can get there and is almost there but not quite.

What do you think though, has Hansen become a second line player? or is he not quite there yet?

He's a 2nd liner on a team lacking a strong 2nd line (not a jab at Hansen). He's the perfect third liner and looks better when placed with a skilled center (last year with Hodgson, this year with Schroeder). It would be interesting to see how he plays with Kesler, but that's not going to happen in the near future.

It's academic.

Wherever he plays, he's a complete hockey player. What can't the guy do?

Don't care much to classify him as a 2nd or 3rd liner. He is the kind of player who, when your team is healthy, is one of the best third liners in the NHL - when the team isn't healthy, he brings an extremely solid two way game that contributes in all kinds of ways.

Ditto where Higgins is concerned. If these guys are playing on the 2nd line, that second line may not score as much as some, but it will be a better two way second line than most in the NHL... and the game is a two way game - so either way, he's extremely valuable.

He could be, but he's a perfect fit for the third unit. We need balanced scoring from three lines to be competitive. And in a perfect world, we should address the problem on the second line and keep our 3rd strong with a guy like Hansen there.

no i think Hansen is still better suited playing on the 3rd line. he's really good defensively and usually don't get the 1st or 2nd defensive pairing which is beneficial i think moving him into a 2nd line role his production will drop.. and he has more playmakers playing on the 3rd line then he'll on the 2nd line lol.

There are a lot of teams where he could easily be a 2nd liner. However I think he benefits our team more in his current two way 3rd line role. We can reserve the 2nd for better scorers, and consequently we have an unreal 3rd line that's gritty, hardworking and can easily chip in offensively.

I like the comments how he's now turning into a sniper just because he scored a laser tonight.

What he is is a guy who can fill in any line and chip in in every aspect of the game. He doesn't have the talent to consistently produce good 2nd line numbers, but he's close enough and has enough hustle to be able to move up the line-up if need be.

He may have a few higher scoring years, but I think he's in his prime right now. Great rounded middle 6 player, who's really beginning to become Burrows 2.0 for us (just with more speed and less offensive IQ).

Can't not love the guy.

There are a lot of teams where he could easily be a 2nd liner. However I think he benefits our team more in his current two way 3rd line role. We can reserve the 2nd for better scorers, and consequently we have an unreal 3rd line that's gritty, hardworking and can easily chip in offensively.

Archived