#1 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,532 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff

#Canucks AV: 'this chemistry is different from others for so many reasons I don't want to get into right now. But it's a different group'

AV made this comment earlier today and it reminded me of two of my hockey teams.

One year, our team came together and we fought like hell. There wasn't anything we wouldn't have done for one another. We trained for a tournament and became like a big groups of sisters. Went into the tournament, played our hearts out, and won the Championship.

The next year, essentially the same group of players started training for another tournament. Everyone was uncommitted, no one trained as hard, we weren't too close to each other, and we went into the tournament and lost.

How can a team with the same people be so different from year to year?

What might it be that has caused the "difference" in this Canucks team from teams of the past? I have to wonder if it has something to do with Manny. He really seemed like the glue of the team. And maybe there is some discord about how the Canucks have handled his situation?

Maybe the injuries are taking a toll?

Perhaps it's just a lack of motivation? To get to game 7 and not win the Cup has got to have emotional repercussions no?

The lack of chemistry is very notable. The team doesn't seem to be laying it all on the line for each other like they used to. Chemistry is so important. I hope the boys come together and are on the same page again soon. You can't win if you're not marching as one.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#2 SynysterGates

SynysterGates

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

That quote is quite discouraging. Something in that locker room needs to change

#3 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

POPULAR

That quote can be interpreted in so many different ways.
Posted Image

#4 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,650 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

and people will find in it what they want to find
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#5 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Sounds like there is some stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I am sure Manny is probably part of it, but I also think the goalie issue is also a problem. It must be very frustrating (even if Lu and Schenids are taking it with stride) for our entire team not knowing what's going on. I also think AV has lost the group and perhaps I would go as far as wonder if perhaps Dank isn't getting through to his team mates??? Not saying anything bad against the Sedins but there has been times in the last few months where I feel that he has not stepped up and done his job as Captain. The one instance that comes to mind right now is after one of the Canucks really bad loses (I can't recall which one perhaps the first Redwings one) Hank pretty much just said they were playing fine just not getting the bounces, and it looked like he really believed it. If the teams captain can not step up and not only admit that there is a problem but do something about it then perhaps there needs to be a changing of the guard. I also really hate to suggest this cause once again I like the sedins but I find it really upsetting to see other teams taking runs at them on the ice and NO ONE DOES ANYTHING. Its one of the reasons I really like Kassian on a line with them because he seems to be one of the only players who protects team mates.

Another issue I think that is happening is AV's constant line juggling is not allowing any of the players to develop chemistry with eachother which is ironic since AV is saying that there is a problem with team chemistry. Then stop juggling the lines its really simple AV really simple.

Edited by Gillyfluffball, 20 March 2013 - 12:18 AM.

Posted Image
Do Not Trade TanevPosted Image

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#6 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,532 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

For sure.

But, in the past, the Canucks have all maintained that they are so close knit. So if AV is implying that things are different this year, I interpret that to mean that they're not a positive as in years past. Just my view of it though. It certainly could mean something else.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#7 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Salo, Rome, Kesler, Manny are all missing and are all leaders. Henrik doesn't seem like the most vocal leader, so someone else needs to step up and take charge.
Posted Image

#8 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

For sure.

But, in the past, the Canucks have all maintained that they are so close knit. So if AV is implying that things are different this year, I interpret that to mean that they're not a positive as in years past. Just my view of it though. It certainly could mean something else.

Is AV implying things are different this year? Or that the group chemistry is different from other teams he has coached?

Edited by pimpcurtly, 20 March 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

and people will find in it what they want to find

and people will read it however they want
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#10 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Dbl post

Edited by pimpcurtly, 20 March 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Posted Image

#11 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

I think it has something to do with their past success in the regular season. Maybe unmotivated because they won the president's trophy back to back and didn't win in the playoffs.

Maybe they feel the regular season is unimportant since regular season success doesn't equal playoff success because they most likely can slip into the playoffs unmotivated and then maybe they'll be motivated in the playoffs

Edited by MayRayDown, 20 March 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#12 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

hmmmm I thought that was possibly it as well but then you would think they w

I think it has something to do with their past success in the regular season. Maybe unmotivated because they won the president's trophy back to back and didn't win in the playoffs.

Maybe they feel the regular season is unimportant since regular season success doesn't equal playoff success because they most likely can slip into the playoffs unmotivated and then maybe they'll be motivated in the playoffs

hmm I thought that was also a possibility as well but then you would think they would want to still ensure they made the playoffs. I mean I get not trying for the Presidents trophy and not caring about some of the games against 'bottom feeding teams' but I would think if they were just 'coasting' to the playoffs they would at least care enough to try to secure a good place in the post season.Yesterday's game against Minny should have meant more to them if they just are coasting. It would think if it was all about them 'saving' it for the post season that they would want to at least ensure a good spot and not want to be fighting it out with a bunch of teams for 8th place. That is unless for some odd reason they want to slip in at 8th and then destroy Chicago (which as much as I hate to admit it. I don't see really happening unless major changes happen), So basically what I am trying to say is I don't think its just about not caring about the regular season /caring about the playoffs because if that was the case the Important games would matter still. The harsh reality here is I think perhaps maybe they just don't care at all. I hate to say but I think Boston broke them!

Posted Image
Do Not Trade TanevPosted Image

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#13 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,213 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Every guy changes the chemistry.
There is a rookie blueliner and a hometown guy that signed - Sami and Rome moved on.

There is a new rookie third line center who is good for team chemistry. :bigblush:

One goaltender has one foot out the door - not easy.

One guy takes a lot of heat for Christian tweets and pictures of animals that he shot.

One guy keeps getting injured and probably isn't the best at dealing with the frustrating disappointment - he's got a chip on his shoulder (in a good and bad way) that needs to be worked off...

One guy broke his back, but now he's back in the saddle and playing very good hockey.

Some key guys seem steady, as usual...

Who knows - AV may have simply been asked a big, leading question and gave a short, relatively dismissive answer?

#14 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

POPULAR

Salo, Rome, Kesler, Manny are all missing and are all leaders.

exactly. there is not a team in sports that would not miss this kind of leadership, Gillis made a massive mistake letting Salo leave
stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#15 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

POPULAR

Sounds like AV making more excuses for his poor coaching decisions. I thought this team wasn't supposed to be about excuses.

Either way, I think you're seeing this teams lack of motivation to win because it got them nothing last year. They play their butts off one year, go the finals, do it again next year and are out in the first round. That had to have taken it out of some players. To think you have another chance at a championship, and then go out in the first round with a whimper.

This team just needs to believe they can win it all again. The problem is the cup seems so far away right now. If Gillis doesn't make some moves to boost this team and make them believe again, they'll be out in the first round.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#16 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

it's more so how the other teams have improved and have gotten better then us

#17 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

Why does everything gotta be so deep and philosophical all the time.

How in the hell do you get chemistry with this many Injuries and AHLers on the roster?

Kes/Booth, hurt, back, hurt, then back eventually

Shredder, Ebb, Barker, Ballard, Alberts up, down, in out.

2/3 line centre, lappy, Higgins, MayRay, Shredder Ebb, Kes.

Power play, is basically the same thing every game with different people.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#18 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

it's more so how the other teams have improved and have gotten better then us

I don't buy that. I think there are just as many teams that have gotten worse than have gotten better.

The only teams that have gotten better are Minnesota, Chicago, and Anaheim. And Chicago and Anaheim were already good, they were just underperforming.

The Canucks have simply been underachieving and not overcoming adversity.

Posted Image

#19 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

We lost Rome so AV lost all brain chemistry.. He's losing his marbles trying to fit Ballard in

#20 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

AV's not the type of coach to talk for the sake of talking. In fact, he's the opposite. So when he said that, I got concerned. I'm guessing it's related to something we don't know about. The Canucks org. is very private about personal things i.e. Malhotras eye
Maybe it is related to Mannys issue. He was a very vocal leader with the team, highly respected. But I'm guessing it's something we don't know about yet - and might not till offseason.

#21 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

Who knows - AV may have simply been asked a big, leading question and gave a short, relatively dismissive answer?

THIS

#22 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

I think the goalie situation is making everyone uncomfortable even though they are saying all the right things about getting along. They seem to be waiting for Gillis to make a move before they respond.

AV has tried to reshuffle the same deck of cards one too many times and they are probably tired of it are taking a wait and see approach.

The players are waiting for the team to bring in an impact player and provide a spark. Plus they are lost without Kesler.

They wanna know if Gillis believes this team is a contender or if they are not worth upgrading if it means sacrificing a prospect or high draft pick.

The Canucks seem to be in limbo right now. Kind of confused about what direction this team wants to head in. Blame Gillis. The goalie situation should have cleared up by now.

It is clearly affecting both Luongo and Schneiders play by not being able to get into a rhythm. The deadline is coming up and it seems the players wanna know just as much as the fans what the real plan is for this year.

Edited by Terry Crews, 20 March 2013 - 01:48 AM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#23 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

AV's not the type of coach to talk for the sake of talking. In fact, he's the opposite. So when he said that, I got concerned. I'm guessing it's related to something we don't know about. The Canucks org. is very private about personal things i.e. Malhotras eye
Maybe it is related to Mannys issue. He was a very vocal leader with the team, highly respected. But I'm guessing it's something we don't know about yet - and might not till offseason.

Well if there's an issue, they need to deal with it. Don't save it till the offseason and use it as an excuse.

Posted Image

#24 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

I'm sorry, but you can't build chemistry when your finding new linemates every half a game, and then when you do find chemistry you get sent to another line to try and build up a new chemistry. Last time I checked that's coaching problems.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#25 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

The lack of chemistry is very notable. The team doesn't seem to be laying it all on the line for each other like they used to. Chemistry is so important. I hope the boys come together and are on the same page again soon. You can't win if you're not marching as one.

I don't recall a time in the finals where our enforcers stood up for the Sedins, and our other star players. I think the chemistry is fine, and the locker room gets along. I think the media in Vancouver is the problem....so much invasive BS is stirred up by them. The goalie controversy for example is blown out of proportion and things like that make players play differently on the ice. As well as how we handled Manny like you said. But as far as team chemistry we're....it's just off-ice distractions and media stir-ups that I think bother this team.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#26 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Another excuse for AV's coaching inabilities.
The chemistry lacking is a new direction from have the same old staff and same old plays.

#27 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Going back to the goalie situation, it's quite likely that not only would one of our goalies be traded.I think we make a goalie trade that some of our other players may be traded as a package. That is another reason that might explain why this team is being thrown off.

This quote from AV is just him making up garbage though. FIRE AV.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 20 March 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#28 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Well AV is right, it is a different group that we are seeing. (disclaimer: this is all speculation on my part)

Let's take Kassian first: he's young, and IMO doesn't seem like a guy who knows, or accepts, his role yet. At the beginning of the year he was put with the Twins where he saw success, he scored goals, he went wild, the crowd went wild, his blood was rushing through him like a rookie on fire! Then AV took him off that line as a big power forward who scores goals and demoted him to the 4th line to be a grinder. Do you think Kassian was/is walking around the dressing room with a big positive smile on his face? No. We got a sense of his frustration too when he was caught arguing with Booth on the bench, which looked like him trying to tell Booth how to play. I noticed small confrontations with Booth twice fwiw.

Ballard: the guy has continued to get shafted year after year by AV, and this is a guy (Ballard) who you want in the dressing room and on your bench. He is a heart and soul guy, a teammate that always sticks up for his buddies, a joker (as in, a practical joker), and a class act. Picture being on the Canucks and being friends with Ballard, knowing how classy he is trying to remain, knowing how badly he wants to play, and then seeing him play a game here and there only to get demoted to the press box time and time again. Personally, if I was a teammate of Ballard, I'd be pissed at the coach.

Kesler: has apparently always had problems with the coach. Let us not forget that the managerial problems with CoHo first came about because AV questioned Cody about the severity of his back. Think about that for a second... what a DB move by AV! Then AV questioned Kesler about his injuries, heck, AV is probably questioning Kassian about his back now too. And for all we know, going back to Kassian for a second, he is faking his back a little bit. Maybe Kassian can't stand AV and secretly wants to lose more games to get him fired? Don't believe for a second that something like that never happens in the NHL.

I'll stop here, but I think we can all start to see a pattern and it has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with AV. Coach Vig plays major favourtism and we as fans know it, but more importantly, the players know it. I can honestly say that as hard as a person could try to remain the good teammate, it would be very very frustrating to be on a team with a coach like that. You can ask players to buy into it, but they are all only human. As soon as you get one guy who is pissed off at the coach he will talk to another, and another, and soon enough it isn't just one pissed of player, but a handful... and then we lose multiple games.

Food for thought.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#29 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Reason number 1: The absense of Ryan Kesler. When this team is rolling, he is often at the center of that.

Reason number 2: Manny's eye injury. He is no longer an NHLer because of it and this team misses him dearly.

Reason number 3: The absense of the David Booth that briefly looked pretty good for us, way back mis-last season. Will he ever be back?

Reason number 4: The return of Raymond and the rise of Hansen. Both guys are flying and that's great, but that means the team chemistry has indeed changed.

Reason number 5: The absense of Salo and the rise of Tanev. Again, different players.

Reason number 6: Insertions of Kassian and Schroeder. You have to give these guys a shot. That'll disrupt team chemistry too.

Reason number 7: Jason Garrison. AV isn't sure what side to put him on. Imho it's the right side with Edler, since Edler is awfully uncomfortable on the right side. However, Edler's own play has slipped.

Reason number 8: Not enough forward depth. Due to injuries and us picking up Vandermeer AND Barker instead of some veteran forward help. Ebbett and that's it? O-kaaaaay... Good thing our prospects are SO ready then.

Reason number 9: AV himself. Ottawa has all the injury excuses in the world, yet seem to get the job done on a nightly basis. So is AV indeed using his lineup correctly? Or is Ottawa's depth underestimated?

Reason number 10: Ballard being a scratch and Luongo/Schneider being a backup means we're vaporizing AT LEAST $9mil in cap space per game. That waste kills whatever depth you have, and therefore any options we can use to eradicate whatever chemistry issues there are.
Posted Image

#30 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Going back to the goalie situation, it's quite likely that not only would one of our goalies be traded.I think we make a goalie trade that some of our other players may be traded as a package. That is another reason that might explain why this team is being thrown off.

This quote from AV is just him making up garbage though. FIRE AV.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.