The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV quote re: Team Chemistry

hockeyville88

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff

#Canucks AV: 'this chemistry is different from others for so many reasons I don't want to get into right now. But it's a different group'

AV made this comment earlier today and it reminded me of two of my hockey teams.

One year, our team came together and we fought like hell. There wasn't anything we wouldn't have done for one another. We trained for a tournament and became like a big groups of sisters. Went into the tournament, played our hearts out, and won the Championship.

The next year, essentially the same group of players started training for another tournament. Everyone was uncommitted, no one trained as hard, we weren't too close to each other, and we went into the tournament and lost.

How can a team with the same people be so different from year to year?

What might it be that has caused the "difference" in this Canucks team from teams of the past? I have to wonder if it has something to do with Manny. He really seemed like the glue of the team. And maybe there is some discord about how the Canucks have handled his situation?

Maybe the injuries are taking a toll?

Perhaps it's just a lack of motivation? To get to game 7 and not win the Cup has got to have emotional repercussions no?

The lack of chemistry is very notable. The team doesn't seem to be laying it all on the line for each other like they used to. Chemistry is so important. I hope the boys come together and are on the same page again soon. You can't win if you're not marching as one.

Sounds like there is some stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I am sure Manny is probably part of it, but I also think the goalie issue is also a problem. It must be very frustrating (even if Lu and Schenids are taking it with stride) for our entire team not knowing what's going on. I also think AV has lost the group and perhaps I would go as far as wonder if perhaps Dank isn't getting through to his team mates??? Not saying anything bad against the Sedins but there has been times in the last few months where I feel that he has not stepped up and done his job as Captain. The one instance that comes to mind right now is after one of the Canucks really bad loses (I can't recall which one perhaps the first Redwings one) Hank pretty much just said they were playing fine just not getting the bounces, and it looked like he really believed it. If the teams captain can not step up and not only admit that there is a problem but do something about it then perhaps there needs to be a changing of the guard. I also really hate to suggest this cause once again I like the sedins but I find it really upsetting to see other teams taking runs at them on the ice and NO ONE DOES ANYTHING. Its one of the reasons I really like Kassian on a line with them because he seems to be one of the only players who protects team mates.

Another issue I think that is happening is AV's constant line juggling is not allowing any of the players to develop chemistry with eachother which is ironic since AV is saying that there is a problem with team chemistry. Then stop juggling the lines its really simple AV really simple.

That quote can be interpreted in so many different ways.

For sure.

But, in the past, the Canucks have all maintained that they are so close knit. So if AV is implying that things are different this year, I interpret that to mean that they're not a positive as in years past. Just my view of it though. It certainly could mean something else.

For sure.

But, in the past, the Canucks have all maintained that they are so close knit. So if AV is implying that things are different this year, I interpret that to mean that they're not a positive as in years past. Just my view of it though. It certainly could mean something else.

I think it has something to do with their past success in the regular season. Maybe unmotivated because they won the president's trophy back to back and didn't win in the playoffs.

Maybe they feel the regular season is unimportant since regular season success doesn't equal playoff success because they most likely can slip into the playoffs unmotivated and then maybe they'll be motivated in the playoffs

hmmmm I thought that was possibly it as well but then you would think they w

I think it has something to do with their past success in the regular season. Maybe unmotivated because they won the president's trophy back to back and didn't win in the playoffs.

Maybe they feel the regular season is unimportant since regular season success doesn't equal playoff success because they most likely can slip into the playoffs unmotivated and then maybe they'll be motivated in the playoffs

Every guy changes the chemistry.

There is a rookie blueliner and a hometown guy that signed - Sami and Rome moved on.

There is a new rookie third line center who is good for team chemistry. :bigblush:

One goaltender has one foot out the door - not easy.

One guy takes a lot of heat for Christian tweets and pictures of animals that he shot.

One guy keeps getting injured and probably isn't the best at dealing with the frustrating disappointment - he's got a chip on his shoulder (in a good and bad way) that needs to be worked off...

One guy broke his back, but now he's back in the saddle and playing very good hockey.

Some key guys seem steady, as usual...

Who knows - AV may have simply been asked a big, leading question and gave a short, relatively dismissive answer?

Sounds like AV making more excuses for his poor coaching decisions. I thought this team wasn't supposed to be about excuses.

Either way, I think you're seeing this teams lack of motivation to win because it got them nothing last year. They play their butts off one year, go the finals, do it again next year and are out in the first round. That had to have taken it out of some players. To think you have another chance at a championship, and then go out in the first round with a whimper.

This team just needs to believe they can win it all again. The problem is the cup seems so far away right now. If Gillis doesn't make some moves to boost this team and make them believe again, they'll be out in the first round.

Why does everything gotta be so deep and philosophical all the time.

How in the hell do you get chemistry with this many Injuries and AHLers on the roster?

Kes/Booth, hurt, back, hurt, then back eventually

Shredder, Ebb, Barker, Ballard, Alberts up, down, in out.

2/3 line centre, lappy, Higgins, MayRay, Shredder Ebb, Kes.

Power play, is basically the same thing every game with different people.

AV's not the type of coach to talk for the sake of talking. In fact, he's the opposite. So when he said that, I got concerned. I'm guessing it's related to something we don't know about. The Canucks org. is very private about personal things i.e. Malhotras eye

Maybe it is related to Mannys issue. He was a very vocal leader with the team, highly respected. But I'm guessing it's something we don't know about yet - and might not till offseason.

Archived