The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV quote re: Team Chemistry

hockeyville88

Let's take Kassian first: he's young, and IMO doesn't seem like a guy who knows, or accepts, his role yet. At the beginning of the year he was put with the Twins where he saw success, he scored goals, he went wild, the crowd went wild, his blood was rushing through him like a rookie on fire! Then AV took him off that line as a big power forward who scores goals and demoted him to the 4th line to be a grinder. Do you think Kassian was/is walking around the dressing room with a big positive smile on his face? No. We got a sense of his frustration too when he was caught arguing with Booth on the bench, which looked like him trying to tell Booth how to play. I noticed small confrontations with Booth twice fwiw.

This team, and more importantly this organization is broken. Hell even the attending fans at most home games are in effect "broken". It's like a vicious circle jerk of disappointment.

The culture that was cultivated resulting in the Stanley Cup run of '11 and back to back President Trophy's along with the Jennings, Harts and Selke wins is long gone.

There is a huge rift, and a GM that seems desperate to fool himself into believing he's done all he can, when in reality all he's done is manage to make a few tweaks to a relatively inherited team; not to mention brutal decision making when it comes to player management.

We also have a coach who seems determined and stubborn as hell to not use the intellect he clearly has for the game to be dynamic and change things up, try new approaches; trying the same old thing game after game is exactly what led to an 0-36 powerplay slump which lets be honest cost the Canucks several games so far this season.

There are so many problems with this team it's hard to know where to begin, and generally when that happens you follow the mantra of "when in doubt, start at the top. Crap always rolls downhill." Perhaps if ownership cared about the actual product being put forth on the ice instead of taking the fans for granted (continuous sell outs, hottest ticket in town) and receiving a few million extra in revenue each year from at least a 1st round appearance in the playoffs, then maybe we would see some progress.

For all intents and purposes, the Aquilini's are no better when it comes to ownership of this club than John McCaw was back in the 90's; they are in effect absentee slumlords, delegating the running of the ship to upper management without caring for the upkeep and maintenance of their investment, so long as the money keeps rolling in everything's good.

I would start with a complete overhaul of the GM, Coaching staff and a few players moved that clearly don't want to be here; or perhaps that attitude changes with the coach and GM gone. Did anyone else notice the menacing scowl on Kesler's face in the pressbox last night?

I'm going to cut it short right there because if I continue I'm going to keep running around in circles and be up all night, at least maybe I would end up with a thesis at the end of it all and inspire a Jerry McGuire moment.

SHOW ME THE MONEEEEEEEY!

Sounds like there is some stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I am sure Manny is probably part of it, but I also think the goalie issue is also a problem. It must be very frustrating (even if Lu and Schenids are taking it with stride) for our entire team not knowing what's going on. I also think AV has lost the group and perhaps I would go as far as wonder if perhaps Dank isn't getting through to his team mates??? Not saying anything bad against the Sedins but there has been times in the last few months where I feel that he has not stepped up and done his job as Captain. The one instance that comes to mind right now is after one of the Canucks really bad loses (I can't recall which one perhaps the first Redwings one) Hank pretty much just said they were playing fine just not getting the bounces, and it looked like he really believed it. If the teams captain can not step up and not only admit that there is a problem but do something about it then perhaps there needs to be a changing of the guard. I also really hate to suggest this cause once again I like the sedins but I find it really upsetting to see other teams taking runs at them on the ice and NO ONE DOES ANYTHING. Its one of the reasons I really like Kassian on a line with them because he seems to be one of the only players who protects team mates.

Another issue I think that is happening is AV's constant line juggling is not allowing any of the players to develop chemistry with eachother which is ironic since AV is saying that there is a problem with team chemistry. Then stop juggling the lines its really simple AV really simple.

He was talking about the Redwings game and he had a point. The score made that game look way more lobsided than it was. The Canucks out chanced the wings 2-1 in that game. He meant they were doing the right things but pucks were just not finding the back of the net.

Also I have grown so tired of the Sedins getting run excuse. When was the last time someone even took a run at one of them? They are grown men, and have shown they have a toughness of their own. They do not need to be babied, they play along in the toughest areas on the ice, along the boards and in the corners.

And you wonder why AV is constantly line juggling? Hmmm let me see..He has been missing his 2nd line C and wing pretty much all season, has a winger playing the C on most nights, has a rookie playing C the others, he is missing his best face off man and 4th line anchor, his 1st d man is seriously underachieving (along with everyone not named Tanev), and 2 of his most consistent players are named Hansen and Raymond. You dont see the problem?

When your team is struggling , whether because of injuries or otherwise, you have to try and find a way to compensate. AV is taking it game by game and its really hard to blame him. If the forwards are having a good night, the goalies seem to struggle, if he goalies are tight, the defence is breaking down.

That 2nd period against the Blues showed me that if this team is playing the way they can, they can fight through all of this adversity, even against a team that is as good defensively as the Blues are. That was prob the best period of hockey I have seen them play this season. That was push back, that was a step in the right direction. Sure 2 flukey goals make it interesting, and I hate it when they sit back with a lead like that, but thats the way it was.

They just need to keep trying to build on it. Hopefully there will be some help on the way as well.

The Burrows slump buster?

Advanciing past the Hawks in the playoffs. Same with Nashville, when they were in danger of totally blowing it.

There have been more than a few galvanizing moments that have seen the team perform to where they need to be.

But yeah, i agree. They need this test. All of them. The whole organization.

It seemed to me the team played like they were let down starting in the lead up to the trade deadline last year; and more so after.

It was like they were expecting a boost, like and Erhoff replacement or Shane Doan, to get them over the top which never came? Then with the lock out, and such time since the SCF appearance...

Probably need new blood to reinvigorate the team.

Oh well; I'm still cheering!!! :towel:

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff

AV made this comment earlier today and it reminded me of two of my hockey teams.

One year, our team came together and we fought like hell. There wasn't anything we wouldn't have done for one another. We trained for a tournament and became like a big groups of sisters. Went into the tournament, played our hearts out, and won the Championship.

The next year, essentially the same group of players started training for another tournament. Everyone was uncommitted, no one trained as hard, we weren't too close to each other, and we went into the tournament and lost.

How can a team with the same people be so different from year to year?

What might it be that has caused the "difference" in this Canucks team from teams of the past? I have to wonder if it has something to do with Manny. He really seemed like the glue of the team. And maybe there is some discord about how the Canucks have handled his situation?

Maybe the injuries are taking a toll?

Perhaps it's just a lack of motivation? To get to game 7 and not win the Cup has got to have emotional repercussions no?

The lack of chemistry is very notable. The team doesn't seem to be laying it all on the line for each other like they used to. Chemistry is so important. I hope the boys come together and are on the same page again soon. You can't win if you're not marching as one.

People are becoming fathers, which can change the focus (a lot). Priorities change as people take on new roles. Let's face it, even sleep is affected when there are new babies in the house.

I also strongly feel that a team that put it all out there and fell short will be impacted. They went to battle as brothers, but lost. There is likely frustration that follows and the deflation in coming so close likely means it's hard to get to that level again.

The lockout, and people "go on" with their lives...these guys just appear to have lost some of their drive. I honestly think the push for the playoffs may spark some.

Manny's absence as part of the team on the ice is likely a big part of that. Sami. Kes keeps things light and he's been hurt/absent in that sense. Plus, the goaltender thing is proably awkward. So many reasons.

Ah Aladeen you have it wrong, what you are describing is not a fan but a "True Fan"..

A "True Fan" believes that everything is always perfect, that the GM and Coach are the smartest and the players are all the best that can ever be imagined. That we MUST all pull on the same rope or you will demonize with that everyready diminishment "Bandwagoner". You and Rup are "True Fans".

However the rest of us, we are just fans, we cheer when things are good and look for answers when they are not. Some of us do not like all of the players or the player decision made by management and staff, and we are not shy to say so. We have seen the rise and fall of the Habs and the Isles and the Oil. And seen the Canucks come close not once but twice and seen mismanagement lead them back into disarray. We've seen our favorite sons traded, and managers talk of driving to the airport or crying and knew that it was not good.

So you keep wearing your rose coloured glass' and you keep waving your "True Fan" flag and you keep believing you are better than the rest of us fans. You keep telling all who will listen that 5.3 until 43 is awesome and Ballard was the best deal available and GMMG has restocked the cupboard with the best talent there is, because when it starts to slip away you will always have Rup there to dry your tears.

People are becoming fathers, which can change the focus (a lot). Priorities change as people take on new roles. Let's face it, even sleep is affected when there are new babies in the house.

I also strongly feel that a team that put it all out there and fell short will be impacted. They went to battle as brothers, but lost. There is likely frustration that follows and the deflation in coming so close likely means it's hard to get to that level again.

Manny's absence as part of the team on the ice is likely a big part of that. Sami. Kes keeps things light and he's been hurt/absent in that sense. Plus, the goaltender thing is proably awkward. So many reasons.

I am Sami's biggest fan, I watch Bolts games now because he is on the team, but to make a sweeping statement like 'massive mistake'. I am not too sure about that.  Seems to me the trouble is power play goals and overall team scoring, and as a huge Salo fan I can tell you he was good on the PP for sure, but as for overall goals, not exactly the 'massive issue' we are searching for. We are middle of the road in both goals for and goals against..and that makes us a middle of the road team. Sami typically has less than ten goals in a whole season, he recently scored just his third of the year in Tampa. Dont get me wrong, I wish he was here still in our jersey for sentimental reasons, he is my league wide favorite Dman and he is still better than most of them, but it was not a massive mistake in not coming to terms with him, sad as it was to see him go.

I am Sami's biggest fan, I watch Bolts games now because he is on the team, but to make a sweeping statement like 'massive mistake'. I am not too sure about that. Seems to me the trouble is power play goals and overall team scoring, and as a huge Salo fan I can tell you he was good on the PP for sure, but as for overall goals, not exactly the 'massive issue' we are searching for. We are middle of the road in both goals for and goals against..and that makes us a middle of the road team. Sami typically has less than ten goals in a whole season, he recently scored just his third of the year in Tampa. Dont get me wrong, I wish he was here still in our jersey for sentimental reasons, he is my league wide favorite Dman and he is still better than most of them, but it was not a massive mistake in not coming to terms with him, sad as it was to see him go.

Archived