The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV quote re: Team Chemistry

hockeyville88

I think the goalie situation is making everyone uncomfortable even though they are saying all the right things about getting along. They seem to be waiting for Gillis to make a move before they respond.

AV has tried to reshuffle the same deck of cards one too many times and they are probably tired of it are taking a wait and see approach.

The players are waiting for the team to bring in an impact player and provide a spark. Plus they are lost without Kesler.

They wanna know if Gillis believes this team is a contender or if they are not worth upgrading if it means sacrificing a prospect or high draft pick.

The Canucks seem to be in limbo right now. Kind of confused about what direction this team wants to head in. Blame Gillis. The goalie situation should have cleared up by now.

It is clearly affecting both Luongo and Schneiders play by not being able to get into a rhythm. The deadline is coming up and it seems the players wanna know just as much as the fans what the real plan is for this year.

AV's not the type of coach to talk for the sake of talking. In fact, he's the opposite. So when he said that, I got concerned. I'm guessing it's related to something we don't know about. The Canucks org. is very private about personal things i.e. Malhotras eye

Maybe it is related to Mannys issue. He was a very vocal leader with the team, highly respected. But I'm guessing it's something we don't know about yet - and might not till offseason.

The lack of chemistry is very notable. The team doesn't seem to be laying it all on the line for each other like they used to. Chemistry is so important. I hope the boys come together and are on the same page again soon. You can't win if you're not marching as one.

Going back to the goalie situation, it's quite likely that not only would one of our goalies be traded.I think we make a goalie trade that some of our other players may be traded as a package. That is another reason that might explain why this team is being thrown off.

This quote from AV is just him making up garbage though. FIRE AV.

Well AV is right, it is a different group that we are seeing. (disclaimer: this is all speculation on my part)

Let's take Kassian first: he's young, and IMO doesn't seem like a guy who knows, or accepts, his role yet. At the beginning of the year he was put with the Twins where he saw success, he scored goals, he went wild, the crowd went wild, his blood was rushing through him like a rookie on fire! Then AV took him off that line as a big power forward who scores goals and demoted him to the 4th line to be a grinder. Do you think Kassian was/is walking around the dressing room with a big positive smile on his face? No. We got a sense of his frustration too when he was caught arguing with Booth on the bench, which looked like him trying to tell Booth how to play. I noticed small confrontations with Booth twice fwiw.

Ballard: the guy has continued to get shafted year after year by AV, and this is a guy (Ballard) who you want in the dressing room and on your bench. He is a heart and soul guy, a teammate that always sticks up for his buddies, a joker (as in, a practical joker), and a class act. Picture being on the Canucks and being friends with Ballard, knowing how classy he is trying to remain, knowing how badly he wants to play, and then seeing him play a game here and there only to get demoted to the press box time and time again. Personally, if I was a teammate of Ballard, I'd be pissed at the coach.

Kesler: has apparently always had problems with the coach. Let us not forget that the managerial problems with CoHo first came about because AV questioned Cody about the severity of his back. Think about that for a second... what a DB move by AV! Then AV questioned Kesler about his injuries, heck, AV is probably questioning Kassian about his back now too. And for all we know, going back to Kassian for a second, he is faking his back a little bit. Maybe Kassian can't stand AV and secretly wants to lose more games to get him fired? Don't believe for a second that something like that never happens in the NHL.

I'll stop here, but I think we can all start to see a pattern and it has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with AV. Coach Vig plays major favourtism and we as fans know it, but more importantly, the players know it. I can honestly say that as hard as a person could try to remain the good teammate, it would be very very frustrating to be on a team with a coach like that. You can ask players to buy into it, but they are all only human. As soon as you get one guy who is pissed off at the coach he will talk to another, and another, and soon enough it isn't just one pissed of player, but a handful... and then we lose multiple games.

Food for thought.

Reason number 1: The absense of Ryan Kesler. When this team is rolling, he is often at the center of that.

Reason number 2: Manny's eye injury. He is no longer an NHLer because of it and this team misses him dearly.

Reason number 3: The absense of the David Booth that briefly looked pretty good for us, way back mis-last season. Will he ever be back?

Reason number 4: The return of Raymond and the rise of Hansen. Both guys are flying and that's great, but that means the team chemistry has indeed changed.

Reason number 5: The absense of Salo and the rise of Tanev. Again, different players.

Reason number 6: Insertions of Kassian and Schroeder. You have to give these guys a shot. That'll disrupt team chemistry too.

Reason number 7: Jason Garrison. AV isn't sure what side to put him on. Imho it's the right side with Edler, since Edler is awfully uncomfortable on the right side. However, Edler's own play has slipped.

Reason number 8: Not enough forward depth. Due to injuries and us picking up Vandermeer AND Barker instead of some veteran forward help. Ebbett and that's it? O-kaaaaay... Good thing our prospects are SO ready then.

Reason number 9: AV himself. Ottawa has all the injury excuses in the world, yet seem to get the job done on a nightly basis. So is AV indeed using his lineup correctly? Or is Ottawa's depth underestimated?

Reason number 10: Ballard being a scratch and Luongo/Schneider being a backup means we're vaporizing AT LEAST $9mil in cap space per game. That waste kills whatever depth you have, and therefore any options we can use to eradicate whatever chemistry issues there are.

Going back to the goalie situation, it's quite likely that not only would one of our goalies be traded.I think we make a goalie trade that some of our other players may be traded as a package. That is another reason that might explain why this team is being thrown off.

This quote from AV is just him making up garbage though. FIRE AV.

if AV's coaching was holding this team back, gillis would do something about it...he is a lot closer to this team than we are..some people don't like AV, so gets all the blame...it used to be luongo and even bieksa for a time....

the best thing to do is ask AV what he mean't by his statement....instead of everyone trying to put their meaning on his words.

I Agree with Jester, but think it actually comes from higher up.

Torres played well, got a suspension, sent packing

Bitz came injured, played OK, lost his job to Kassian, got a suspension, sent packing

Lest we forget the Gagrani experiment who took a roster spot for 10-14 games before being deemed useless

There is the concept that this team knows what it takes becuase they went to the final and failed.

If the difference between Van and Boston/LA is a dominant D and Big MEAN forwards, MG has not supplied either in pushing this club over the top. Kassian (maybe in 2-3 years) Pinnisotto, Gaunce (maybe in 3-5 years) Ebbett are not what this group needs to win now.

I agree that AV is part of the chemistry issue if there is a chemistry issue but you do realize we only have 1 more loss than Ottawa right with 1 game in hand. The records are not all that different really.

Ott 16 -8 -6

Van 14-9 -6

I've seen the Ottawa is doing fine a few times and if they're doing fine than so are the Canucks really.

Raymond broke his back, nearly cost his job.

Keslers been under the knife repeatedly since.

Sedins and the rest of the team let themselves get bullied.

They were embarrassed for all the world to see, riots ensued.

These are married men, with kids, many of em are set for life with contracts. While everyone wants to win the cup, they've seen what it takes, how it can end badly. They need to decide if they really want to go there again, and if so, do something about it.

Sounds like there is some stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I am sure Manny is probably part of it, but I also think the goalie issue is also a problem. It must be very frustrating (even if Lu and Schenids are taking it with stride) for our entire team not knowing what's going on. I also think AV has lost the group and perhaps I would go as far as wonder if perhaps Dank isn't getting through to his team mates??? Not saying anything bad against the Sedins but there has been times in the last few months where I feel that he has not stepped up and done his job as Captain. The one instance that comes to mind right now is after one of the Canucks really bad loses (I can't recall which one perhaps the first Redwings one) Hank pretty much just said they were playing fine just not getting the bounces, and it looked like he really believed it. If the teams captain can not step up and not only admit that there is a problem but do something about it then perhaps there needs to be a changing of the guard. I also really hate to suggest this cause once again I like the sedins but I find it really upsetting to see other teams taking runs at them on the ice and NO ONE DOES ANYTHING. Its one of the reasons I really like Kassian on a line with them because he seems to be one of the only players who protects team mates.

Another issue I think that is happening is AV's constant line juggling is not allowing any of the players to develop chemistry with eachother which is ironic since AV is saying that there is a problem with team chemistry. Then stop juggling the lines its really simple AV really simple.

Archived