The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV quote re: Team Chemistry

hockeyville88

The team seems so dry this year...

I remember in 10-11 a ton of postgame vids were posted and guys like Torres, Manny, Rome, Glass, Ehrhoff, and even Salo were showing emotion after a win.

Hordichuk constantly mentioned how dry the team was until he got there.

This year they only posted one vid and it showed Edler checking his phone with Garrison being the only one with emotion.

I honestly believe it's less a problem with the team lacking chemistry and more a problem with the team having forgotten its identity. These are the Vancouver freaking Canucks.

This is the team where a guy breaks his foot and basically says, "Oh, that stings. I'll skate it off for a few games and see how it goes." That after playing through too many injuries to count over the years in the interest of his team (often past the point he should have stopped...)

This is the team where a guy loses most of his eyesight in one eye and has to be kept away for his own safety because he doesn't know the meaning of the word "quit."

This is the team where a guy got his back broken and even though for a little while they thought he might not walk again, he stood, he got back on his skates and eventually he got back in the game even though he was so obviously scared $%^&less. But he came back, game after game even though he was afraid. And he kept coming back and working through it until he finally got to reclaim what should have been rightfully his all along -- his right to play his game his way.

And that is what I mean about having lost their identity. They can't control bad reffing or bad puck luck. They can't even control how another team will play or how hot/lucky their goalie will be. They can only ever control their response. And these are the Vancouver freaking Canucks. They may not always win. Sometimes they will lose, but they are NEVER defeated!

It might be AV just tries to cater to too many players. For example after more or less stating Schneider to be their goalie, they play Luongo more. If you have a team and no body is boss the team runs itself into the ground. Could it be like that here? If so the team did well under the circumstances. In previous years that is. There needs to be a shake up by the owners, and fans. Sure they won against the Blues after Cory saved it in the 1st period, but that is only one game, granted they did pick up their game after the first period. There are issues that need to be addressed even though AV is smiling a little bit.

if AV's coaching was holding this team back, gillis would do something about it...he is a lot closer to this team than we are..some people don't like AV, so gets all the blame...it used to be luongo and even bieksa for a time....

the best thing to do is ask AV what he mean't by his statement....instead of everyone trying to put their meaning on his words.

I think the goalie situation is making everyone uncomfortable even though they are saying all the right things about getting along. They seem to be waiting for Gillis to make a move before they respond.

AV has tried to reshuffle the same deck of cards one too many times and they are probably tired of it are taking a wait and see approach.

The players are waiting for the team to bring in an impact player and provide a spark. Plus they are lost without Kesler.

They wanna know if Gillis believes this team is a contender or if they are not worth upgrading if it means sacrificing a prospect or high draft pick.

The Canucks seem to be in limbo right now. Kind of confused about what direction this team wants to head in. Blame Gillis. The goalie situation should have cleared up by now.

It is clearly affecting both Luongo and Schneiders play by not being able to get into a rhythm. The deadline is coming up and it seems the players wanna know just as much as the fans what the real plan is for this year.

For sure.

But, in the past, the Canucks have all maintained that they are so close knit. So if AV is implying that things are different this year, I interpret that to mean that they're not a positive as in years past. Just my view of it though. It certainly could mean something else.

I think it has something to do with their past success in the regular season. Maybe unmotivated because they won the president's trophy back to back and didn't win in the playoffs.

Maybe they feel the regular season is unimportant since regular season success doesn't equal playoff success because they most likely can slip into the playoffs unmotivated and then maybe they'll be motivated in the playoffs

Perhaps I've missed a few of their injuries but both teams have key players injured and both teams are doing about the same in the standings. The point that Ottawa is holding it together while the Canucks are falling apart is an incorrect argument. If anything the Canucks have been dealing with their injuries the entire season while Ottawas started their injury woes after the season started. If lately the Canucks have been so bad and the only difference between Vancouver and Ottawa are 2 OTLs than either the Canucks aren't as bad as people make it seem or Ottawa isn't as good as the argument suggests.

Karlsson is a big hit to them, I would have thought Anderson would have killed them but both Bishop and more surprisingly Lehner have been great. Those two guys are a big reason that teams not on the ropes I think. Spezza was a loss and to a lesser extent Michalek.

Compare that to Kesler, Booth, Malhotra, Bieksa for a stretch (a stretch where the team lost almost every game), Booth's out most of the season.

If Lehner and Bishop hadn't stepped up so much I'd agree that Ottawa's injury problems were exponentially worse than the Canucks. Ottawa still has it worse but it's not this giant difference you're making it seem to be. Most of the positions they've lost they have people to fill. We've lost 2 centers on a team with no depth at center.

I say Manny is the main cause...just look at our record before the Manny news went out...Then losing some vets on this team also changes chemistry...Salo...and now the lines are mixed so much it also creates problems..our 2nd line is missing 2 players...this is why we're losing...if twins get shuts down and no secondary scoring (from Hansen ofc) we lose.

the "chef" (AV) is responsible for putting the right ingredients together (the players) and in the quantity and quality required to make an amazing stew full of chemistry.

Solution: time to replace the chef. The ingredients are basically the same and to go from 1st place overall to almost last place with basically the same players is solely the responsibility of the head chef.

I bet you if AV was replaced, there would be some players who would not feel so comfortable as they obviously do. Why be motivated, you don't have to please the fans, you don't have to finish first, you just need to make the playoffs. The joint is still a sell out and corporate support is still at a peak so why fix it? What a terrible attitude!

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff

AV made this comment earlier today and it reminded me of two of my hockey teams.

One year, our team came together and we fought like hell. There wasn't anything we wouldn't have done for one another. We trained for a tournament and became like a big groups of sisters. Went into the tournament, played our hearts out, and won the Championship.

The next year, essentially the same group of players started training for another tournament. Everyone was uncommitted, no one trained as hard, we weren't too close to each other, and we went into the tournament and lost.

How can a team with the same people be so different from year to year?

What might it be that has caused the "difference" in this Canucks team from teams of the past? I have to wonder if it has something to do with Manny. He really seemed like the glue of the team. And maybe there is some discord about how the Canucks have handled his situation?

Maybe the injuries are taking a toll?

Perhaps it's just a lack of motivation? To get to game 7 and not win the Cup has got to have emotional repercussions no?

The lack of chemistry is very notable. The team doesn't seem to be laying it all on the line for each other like they used to. Chemistry is so important. I hope the boys come together and are on the same page again soon. You can't win if you're not marching as one.

I Agree with Jester, but think it actually comes from higher up.

Torres played well, got a suspension, sent packing

Bitz came injured, played OK, lost his job to Kassian, got a suspension, sent packing

Lest we forget the Gagrani experiment who took a roster spot for 10-14 games before being deemed useless

There is the concept that this team knows what it takes becuase they went to the final and failed.

If the difference between Van and Boston/LA is a dominant D and Big MEAN forwards, MG has not supplied either in pushing this club over the top. Kassian (maybe in 2-3 years) Pinnisotto, Gaunce (maybe in 3-5 years) Ebbett are not what this group needs to win now.

Archived