The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV quote re: Team Chemistry

hockeyville88

I am a fan. I'm such a fan that I would endure the losing if the Canucks became a better team for it. Some people here really need to toughen up. Not only in hockey but in life you have to make sacrifices for the greater good. The Flames mantra among their organization and their fans is "Win at all costs!!", yet they keep drowning. They're afraid to face the fact their current core is done and that, God forbid, they have to lose some games and start over again for the greater good.

Now, the Canucks haven't reached the Flames' level just yet but the signs that the Canucks have hit their peak and are now gradually regressing are there. This current team, however, can definitely still do some damage but it starts with replacing the coach and getting a new voice behind the bench and I think most people agree that it will take a series of losses grave enough to make Gillis panic in order for Coach Vigneault to be replaced.

So go tell the Canucks that... go tell them they should lose because you don't think they're good enough to make any kind of noise... Tell the players to lose so that the coach who you KNOW to be the core root of all the team's problems is fired... Tell them to throw all the games remaining so that the franchise may have a stronger and more favorable draft position...I wonder what their reaction would be to that? Probably laugh and ignore you as I should but I will humor you.

So what exactly makes you the hockey future predictor? Do you have a degree in that.... do you know for sure the Canucks can't compete year after year while still building for the future? Where is you proof? What makes you more of an expert as opposed to the other experts that obviously don't agree with you?

I hate when people claim that one single thing is the cause of all our problems. Generally these people are more interested in blaming something or someone as a sort of catharsis rather than actually isolating problems and dealing with them. The carousel of players getting blamed for our under performance is the perfect example. Schneider plays well, Lu must be crap. Lu plays well, Schneids was overrated. Last year CDC wanted Ballard hanged. Then Garrison gets on a new team, everything is his fault. Then Edler, then Bieksa. This is a team sport folks, it's not like we can just get Kobe and score 30 more points a game.

However I do think that one issue is one of a few at the heart of our lack of drive and that's Manny's forced retirement. I think Manny was the other leader of the locker room, maybe even more so than Henrik. At the very least, they both reached different players in different ways and I think by losing that, we lost some guys' motivation and desire to play hard, potentially even soured it. There's definitely dissent in the room right now either way. It's the only thing that makes a team this good play this bad. But don't take my word for it, here's the numbers:

Before Manny sidelined:

8-2-2

After Manny sidelined:

6-7-4

You did say most of the positions they've lost they've been able to fill. Which is quite false really. They've just played well as a team, while the Canucks haven't.

I don't think it's false at all. We can see that because players are playing in those positions and doing quite well. I mean if we're going to argue if they are doing just as well as who they're replacing then you win...in fact I'm on your side because that would be an incredibly silly thing to argue against. The Sens have better players to bring in to fill those spots and on top of that those players have actually done very well in their roles. That's the huge difference. Do you think the Sens do just as well with the players the Canucks have to fill in their roster with?

No, I just pointed out that Methot was recently injured just to make sure I didn't leave any out. I used other guys like Spezza, Cowan, Michalek, and Karlsson as examples of how they've been winning without them for most of the season, despite your claim that the Canucks have dealt with injury problems longer, which is the part of your argument I had a problem with.

Once again, I was referring to your claim that the Canucks had dealt with injury longer. It seemed irrelevant to me considering they'd lost Cowan at the start and Spezza just 5 games in, and Kes and Booth had both returned at points and had more games plugged in than either Spezza or Cowan. Also, I would say Spezza and Karlsson each bring a lot to their Sens, wouldn't you? Potentially more than Kes brings to the Canucks. And I would actually trade him, seeing as Booth's cap hit is on the shelf and we could also pick up a solid two-way C if needed. I think the market value is more than the value to the team, but regardless we'd be a scary team with Spezza so I think I would do it.

I am a fan. I'm such a fan that I would endure the losing if the Canucks became a better team for it. Some people here really need to toughen up. Not only in hockey but in life you have to make sacrifices for the greater good. The Flames mantra among their organization and their fans is "Win at all costs!!", yet they keep drowning. They're afraid to face the fact their current core is done and that, God forbid, they have to lose some games and start over again for the greater good.

Now, the Canucks haven't reached the Flames' level just yet but the signs that the Canucks have hit their peak and are now gradually regressing are there. This current team, however, can definitely still do some damage but it starts with replacing the coach and getting a new voice behind the bench and I think most people agree that it will take a series of losses grave enough to make Gillis panic in order for Coach Vigneault to be replaced.

Of course AV would blame the team. What did you expect that he would blame himself?

Explain to me how in that 1st period of last game the Blues were all over us. And then in that 2nd period last game we were dominating because our players were let off their leash. And then in the 3rd period the leash was back and we got dominated once again.

Player chemistry? They are all still there. This was proven in the 2nd period last night. And then in the 3rd AV forced everyone back to that boring defensive "trying not to lose" hockey, and killed all our momentum.

It was AV's leash that's keeping our players from playing.

OMG go cheer for the Sens then. They are a different team under different circumstances, kudos to them for what they are doing but if you think even at this point the Sens have better shot at the cup than the Canucks do you are on some serious delusion-inducing medication.

Everyone here whines and complains that this team only does good in the Regular season, but have everything to prove in the playoffs... Then panic the moment they are not dominating the regualr season.

All that matters is that the Canucks make the playoffs with a full healthy roster with some deadline acquisitions to bolster weakness.. then its a new season and no one will remember an 8-3 loss to the red wings or a 3rd period meltdown in a game they were leading.

Fans, Media, whiners and self-loathing Canuck fans need to lay off this team and AV. Rather than analyzing ever sentence they guy speaks, looking for hidden meaning or something to nail the next scapegoat to the cross on, why not try cheering for this team? Supporting this team? Giving them the benefit of the doubt that it is hard to win in the NHL, and being constantly scrutinized and harassed at every turn by people who should be supporting you, makes it that much harder to accomplish that goal.

Saying the Canucks should do X because the Sens are doing Y makes no sense.

This has nothing to do with injuries. This is also NOT the same team as in past years when we had a good run. I think it's time to look to Gillis & ask "what did you do"? We do not have Rome, Glass, Torres, Ehrhoff, Salo & so on. Players that on their own may not make a difference but all together gave us spirit AND chemistry. Other than core players, this team is quite different, I thinkmit's time to admit that on paper, @ to Gillis, ths team SHOULD win. However, he must look up from the books & see that this experiment is not working....

Amen Brother!

OTHERS Take Note...RUPERTKBD is a Fan!

If you want to see a team lose... you are the opposite! This is irregardless of your rationale, predictions as to what you think may happen in the future.

A FAN: Wants to see the Canucks win the faceoff, win the puck battle, win the momentum, with the puck race, win the goaltending duel, win the shots taken, win the shots blocked, but most importantly WIN the Game... to win the next Game... to make the playoffs... to win the series... to move forwards in the playoffs to have a chance to hopefully WIN THE CUP.

Any backwards momentum in that and you're doing it wrong!

Ah Aladeen you have it wrong, what you are describing is not a fan but a "True Fan"..

A "True Fan" believes that everything is always perfect, that the GM and Coach are the smartest and the players are all the best that can ever be imagined. That we MUST all pull on the same rope or you will demonize with that everyready diminishment "Bandwagoner". You and Rup are "True Fans".

However the rest of us, we are just fans, we cheer when things are good and look for answers when they are not. Some of us do not like all of the players or the player decision made by management and staff, and we are not shy to say so. We have seen the rise and fall of the Habs and the Isles and the Oil. And seen the Canucks come close not once but twice and seen mismanagement lead them back into disarray. We've seen our favorite sons traded, and managers talk of driving to the airport or crying and knew that it was not good.

So you keep wearing your rose coloured glass' and you keep waving your "True Fan" flag and you keep believing you are better than the rest of us fans. You keep telling all who will listen that 5.3 until 43 is awesome and Ballard was the best deal available and GMMG has restocked the cupboard with the best talent there is, because when it starts to slip away you will always have Rup there to dry your tears.

The fact is the core of this team is the same - Sedins, Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler (though injured), Hansen, Edler, Raymond, Schneids and Lu have all been together here for years. Hammer, Higgins, Lappy, Ballard since the year of the SCF. A handful of players have left and some have come in. I certainly haven't sensed any tensions among the team, if anything the core is older and more comfortable together. I have no idea what AV meant by his comment, but I have a hard time believing the core that has been together as long as they have is suddenly no longer who and what they were.

Woah, woah you guys, calm yourselves, lol. When did I ever say I am any kind of authority on the Canucks? I was simply responding to a poster that questioned my fan-dom. Nowhere did I say that I'm right and everyone else is wrong. My opinion of the state of this team is mine. Not trying to enforce that on anyone else, like some of you are claiming. I just think some of you are a little too damn sensitive.

BTW, I should make my feelings more clear. I do NOT want the Canucks to purposely try to lose. If they are indeed capable of turning it on, finishing this short season strong, and contending for the Cup then by all means, go for it! There's nothing I want more in the world as a Canucks fan than a Cup. What I'm trying to say is I simply don't believe this team good enough and if our GM recognized that and decided to rebuild, I would be very willing to endure the losing that would come with that, knowing the team will be better for it in the future.

I read a ton of Flames bashing on this board. Thing is, your Canucks will be just like those Flames you're ridiculing if Gillis continues to don the rose-coloured glasses and doesn't make any changes.

Every guy changes the chemistry.

There is a rookie blueliner and a hometown guy that signed - Sami and Rome moved on.

There is a new rookie third line center who is good for team chemistry. :bigblush:

One goaltender has one foot out the door - not easy.

One guy takes a lot of heat for Christian tweets and pictures of animals that he shot.

One guy keeps getting injured and probably isn't the best at dealing with the frustrating disappointment - he's got a chip on his shoulder (in a good and bad way) that needs to be worked off...

One guy broke his back, but now he's back in the saddle and playing very good hockey.

Some key guys seem steady, as usual...

Who knows - AV may have simply been asked a big, leading question and gave a short, relatively dismissive answer?

Guest Dasein

Wouldn't read too much into it - as the media and most of you on this board always does.

We have some new players on the team and it's obviously going to take some time. LA didn't even gel until the playoffs last year. It doesn't matter where we place going into the playoffs - as long as we make it, and the team wakes up at the right time, we will be contenders.

Come playoff time, I think the boys will be playing with a lot more intensity. We saw glimpses of what they are capable of during the season, and I believe they will step up when necessary.

Plus, missing the team's emotional leader in Kesler hurts right now in rallying the troops. Chemistry is not something that can be forced, but it will come with time.

Wouldn't read too much into it - as the media and most of you on this board always does.

We have some new players on the team and it's obviously going to take some time. LA didn't even gel until the playoffs last year. It doesn't matter where we place going into the playoffs - as long as we make it, and the team wakes up at the right time, we will be contenders.

Come playoff time, I think the boys will be playing with a lot more intensity. We saw glimpses of what they are capable of during the season, and I believe they will step up when necessary.

Plus, missing the team's emotional leader in Kesler hurts right now in rallying the troops. Chemistry is not something that can be forced, but it will come with time.

But there is no history to show that the team will suddenly wake up at the right time unfortunately. Hopefully going through some actual adversity in the regular season here will prove more useful come playoff time than winning the President's Trophy and coasting the last 10 games did.

Archived