Hey guys wat u think would be a good first car? Price between 5000-8000$

#2 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

'90's Honda Civics and 2000's Pontiac Sunfires are 2 models that are reliable and there are plenty of parts available.

Late 60's and 70's "Muscle Cars" are a choice, too, if you can get one in decent mechanical shape. If you like working on cars, these types of vehicle are perfect to learn on, too. My first car was a '76 Austin Mini I bought off my brother. Learned a lot from that car.

Just one guys opinion.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#3 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Buy a bike go green!

Posted Image

#4 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Test drive a few dozen cars you're interested in and pick the one you like best. Vehicles are very personal things, so you'll get a different answer from almost everyone.

Don't forget to get a full inspection done on any used car before you purchase it. Don't want to get a lemon.

#5 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,617 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Why is this in the gaming forum

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#6 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I got an 2002 Honda Civic for just over 5G's. Only had 40k km's too!
Chicago Blackhawks NHL 14 OCDC League 2013/2014

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)
Clarkson(83)-Zibanejad(80)-Ennis(82).......Koska(78)-Murray(83)
Kobasew(78)-Hanszus(79)-Morin(76)

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Why is this in the gaming forum

He's playing Gran Turismo.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#8 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

http://www.autotrade...showcpo=ShowCPO

both are manual. is that okay?

Edited by Bob Singh, 20 March 2013 - 07:09 PM.

Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#9 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

both are manual. is that okay?

Its fine if you are fine with driving stick. In the 5 to 8 grand price range there are a lot of choices for you. It all depends on what you are looking for in a vehicle. If its cheap economic reliable transport the class standards are the Honda civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla etc. Go to an auto mall and kick the tires . sit in the cars, take test drives, bring a level headed buddy to keep you grounded.

Pickup the latest Consumers digest used car buyers guide. Itll point you in the right direction and is full of the info you need to make an informed decision.

Plus if your in the car looking at it and everybody and every write up tells you its the right car but you arent feeling it...you just arent feeling it. Keep looking.

Posted Image

#10 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Check out Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid Used car guides. They are focused on Canadian models and tell you what to look out for on different models as well as providing overall ratings and a price range.
http://www.lemonaidcars.com/
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#11 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Give us some criteria first. Do you want a truck/car/coupe etc. Also what characteristics do you want? Are you after performance or fuel economy? Size? etc.

#12 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

I posted this in an earlier thread:

Check out Lemon Aid Used Cars and Trucks Guide by Phil Edmonston for assessments, recommendations, known defects and weaknesses and recalls for the particular makes and models by year. Use the latest edition that has the year of vehicle you are considering. It will also give you a price range depending upon the condition of the vehicle.

These are Canadian guides and most libraries should have them in the reference section.

Be careful that you are not dealings with "curbers" or buying a rebuild.

Make sure that you get a vehicle inspection done - BCAA has an inspection facility across from BCIT as well as a mobile services and I have used them in the past:
http://www.bcaa.com/...hs.xsl/1761.htm

Here are BCAA Tips on Buying a Used Car:
http://www.bcaa.com/...hs.xsl/1769.htm
http://www.bcaa.com/...qysxUBmXZ5CA!!/

Liens can be checked at the Personal Property Registry, through BC Online, or at select Service BC office locations. There is a small fee.

Or a more comprehensive check through a service such as Carproof:
https://www.carproof...VerifiedBC.aspx

Here are some tips from the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia. There are also videos.
http://www.mdcbc.com/buying-tips.htm

Private sales

Private sales account for over 20% of used vehicle transactions in BC. A private seller may offer a vehicle at a lower price than a dealer and may be able to give you first-hand proof of its accident and repair history if he is selling you his own car.

If you buy from a private owner, you almost always buy "as is". You negotiate price on the basis of your evaluation of the vehicle and what you think will be needed to correct any defects. Your remedies are very limited if things go wrong.

Be careful to avoid being taken advantage of by dishonest sellers or unlicensed dealers. It will be difficult to get compensation from a private seller if there are problems with the vehicle. If the vehicle you buy was stolen, you won't be able to register it and could lose both the vehicle and your money.

If you decide to buy from a private individual:

* Ask for the original registration form and examine it closely. Do not accept a photocopy. Check to see that the vehicle is registered in the name of the seller. Verify the owner's address with the registration form and the location of sale.
* Check to see that the vehicle identification number (VIN) on the registration form is the same number that is stamped on the identification plate on the vehicle dash.
* If the seller claims to have owned the vehicle since it was new, or for any length of time, ask to see the repair bills and maintenance records.
* Ask if the vehicle has even been in an accident. If so, ask what the damage was, who fixed it and what it cost to fix. Find out if the auto body shop that repaired the vehicle was approved to do ICBC repairs.
* Check for liens against the vehicle.
* If the seller makes certain claims about the vehicle, such as saying it has a new transmission or rebuilt motor, get it in writing; and
* Get a vehicle inspection and obtain a vehicle history report to avoid problem vehicles.

If you buy from a private seller, the seller will give you the Owner's Certificate of Registration and a signed Transfer/Tax form (or APV9T). It is best to go to an Autoplan agent with the seller. The agent will use these signed forms to process the transfer of ownership. Make sure the seller has completely filled in their part of the form.
Checking for liens
Motor dealers are required to sell vehicles free of liens but you must check for liens against the vehicle when buying from a private individual. Some used vehicle buyers have been surprised to find a tow truck in their driveway towing away their recent purchase. This could happen if a garage had a lien against the vehicle for unpaid repairs or its former owner had an unpaid loan on the vehicle.

* You'll need the vehicle's 17-digit VIN. Liens can be checked at the Personal Property Registry, through BC Online, or at select Service BC office locations. There is a small fee. Select banks, credit unions and finance companies also provide this service for a slightly higher fee.
* The Vehicle Sales Authority suggests obtaining a comprehensive vehicle report, like CarProof; which offers vehicle history reports that include a lien search. It’s cheap peace of mind!
* If there is a record that you searched for liens in BC and none was registered when you took ownership, a lien holder will not be able to take your vehicle away.
* There is a slight possibility a lien could be registered between the time you do a search and when your deal is finalized.
* To guard against this, make your purchase subject to a condition that the vehicle is free from liens at the specified time of sale.
* Beware that if there is a lien on the vehicle registered in another province, it could be seized. Contact the Personal Property Registry for lien search information in other provinces.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#13 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

5-8 G's is a lot for a first car. Sigh I remember my first car... I totalled it a month later. But man a lot of memories in one month.
Posted Image

#14 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'd buy a early 2000s civic or like minded import etc... Good reliable cars, good on gas

#15 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Unimog
Moo

#16 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Find a diesel Land Cruiser with low km's on it. With proper maintenance that thing will last you forever and should be pretty good $/fuel. You can take it off-roading/camping/etc too.

edit - or a Unimog haha

Edited by The Bookie, 22 March 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#17 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

holy cow my first-7th cars were all under a grand

#18 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

You can buy my first car. :lol:

97 Mazda MX-6, 166,000km's (Same colour, different rims)

Posted Image

Not selling till June-August. Can't wait for the Golf I'm buying <3
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#19 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

You can buy my first car. :lol:

97 Mazda MX-6, 166,000km's (Same colour, different rims)

Posted Image

Not selling till June-August. Can't wait for the Golf I'm buying <3

That Mazda actually looks pretty sick
Posted Image

#20 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Honda Prelude 98-2001.

... Assuming you can find a good one. Most are garbage.
Posted Image

#21 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

POPULAR

'90's Honda Civics and 2000's Pontiac Sunfires are 2 models that are reliable and there are plenty of parts available.

Late 60's and 70's "Muscle Cars" are a choice, too, if you can get one in decent mechanical shape. If you like working on cars, these types of vehicle are perfect to learn on, too. My first car was a '76 Austin Mini I bought off my brother. Learned a lot from that car.

Just one guys opinion.

DO NOT GET a Sunfire.......some of the most unreliable and low quality cars ever made by chevy.....and that's saying a lot.

#22 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Honda Prelude 98-2001.

... Assuming you can find a good one. Most are garbage.

That gen prelude was my first car. Very unreliable for a Honda, the H22a engine isn't the greatest in terms of longevity.

#23 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Used to be able to go out to the auto auctions near the south end of the Pattullo bridge on Saturday mornings in Surrey and pick up a decent runner for under $500 back in the day. Could pay with my debit card.

Posted Image

#24 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

That Mazda actually looks pretty sick

She goes. One of the best sounding engines I've ever heard coming from that V6 but be advised if you ever want to get one, don't even go near the automatic.

Just one guys opinion.

This is very unrealistic.

Its 2013.

60s-70s Muscle cars are going for +$20,000 nowadays.

Edited by Armada, 23 March 2013 - 12:48 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#25 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

Don't get an older fancy car. The repairs will kill you. Just get a basic simple one and later on, down the road get a new or near new nicer one. And get a manual gearbox too.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#26 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Just one guys opinion.

Sunfire is rated one of the worst cars in north America for reliability. One of the most towed cars in Canada!  He has 5-8k to spend and you suggest a sunfire ? I am blown away. I would not give that car to my worst enemy.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles, 17 March 2014 - 01:16 AM.

gCwRJO0.gif

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#27 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

For a first car spend around 2-3k and learn how to drive on your city roads and traffic before you spend any money on something. Civics are a great choice. IF you find a healthy 1.8L vtec you will be amazed at the power and economy. Cheap insurance too. Integra, Focus, Corolla even Neon(yes a Neon) are great starters. Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM SUNFIRES/CAVALIERS/GTi's and especially Sentra's they have the worst service record in Canadian car history.

The reason why I suggest buying something cheaper is you will need to maintain this unit. Tires and tune-ups and repairs can get pricey. If you like something and it looks like it needs a minor fix or two. Call the local parts store and find out what the part really costs and even call a shop and see what they will charge for the fix. Knowledge is power.

Get the VIN# run the check for any leans and see how many times it has been registered. That will give you a good indication if the owner is telling the truth about the car you want to buy. If they are not willing to give the the vin# move on to the next car. I guarantee you they are hiding something. I have worked in many facets of the auto industry and have found that people lie and lie often. Protect your money and get it inspected if it is the one you want. The hundy you spend to find out the 6k car you want needs a 2k transmission fix will be well worth it :)

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles, 23 March 2013 - 01:35 AM.

gCwRJO0.gif

#28 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

For a first car spend around 2-3k and learn how to drive on your city roads and traffic before you spend any money on something. Civics are a great choice. IF you find a healthy 1.8L vtec you will be amazed at the power and economy. Cheap insurance too. Integra, Focus, Corolla even Neon(yes a Neon) are great starters. Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM SUNFIRES/CAVALIERS/GTi's and especially Sentra's they have the worst service record in Canadian car history.

The reason why I suggest buying something cheaper is you will need to maintain this unit. Tires and tune-ups and repairs can get pricey. If you like something and it looks like it needs a minor fix or two. Call the local parts store and find out what the part really costs and even call a shop and see what they will charge for the fix. Knowledge is power.

Get the VIN# run the check for any leans and see how many times it has been registered. That will give you a good indication if the owner is telling the truth about the car you want to buy. If they are not willing to give the the vin# move on to the next car. I guarantee you they are hiding something. I have worked in many facets of the auto industry and have found that people lie and lie often. Protect your money and get it inspected if it is the one you want. The hundy you spend to find out the 6k car you want needs a 2k transmission fix will be well worth it :)

I'm pretty sure you can't get that information. Also the insurance place isn't allowed to legally disclose the info.

#29 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

Sorry DP :(

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles, 23 March 2013 - 02:00 AM.

gCwRJO0.gif

#30 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

I'm pretty sure you can't get that information. Also the insurance place isn't allowed to legally disclose the info.

ummmmm... you obviously do not know what a Vehicle Identification Number can give you in regards to info on a car and yes that is the primary purpose of a VIN#search. To see the status of a vehicle(rebuilt or active status) and it will show in black and white not who but how many times it has been registered since it became active in the database. This is a legal right of any citizen. Cost $25 for the simple one and a carfax report is around $50 I think.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles, 23 March 2013 - 02:02 AM.

gCwRJO0.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.