Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Would You Trade a Top-4 D-man For a Top-6 Forward?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

NTC's side, theoretically speaking, would you trade one of our top 4 defensemen (Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison) for a bonafide top 6 forward? I love our team's depth on D but I think our team is one game changing forward from elite status - which has been compounded by the loss of Kesler and Booth to injury.

Alberts and Barker haven't been horrible by any means and Tanev has taken significant strides this year. I would not be hesitant to field D pairs of Hamhuis-Bieksa, Edler-Tanev, and a combination of Ballard/Alberts/Barker/Vandermeer if it meant augmenting the forwards corp in a manner that would allow them to provide another ~goal per game, which could very well mean the difference between win or lose.

In addition, this would force our second/third line tweeners Raymond, Higgins and Hansen into roles where they would have better chances to succeed against lesser opposition. A bottom six of Raymond, Higgins, Hansen, Lapierre, Schroeder, Kassian, Pinnizotto and Weise looks pretty solid to me. Of course one of these players would have to move up pending Booth's return.

Consider the percentage of our cap tied up in our defenders when we can only dress 6 as opposed to 12 forwards. But the combined (4.6 Bieksa + 4.6 Garrison + 4.5 Hamhuis + 4.2 Ballard + 3.25 Edler + 0.9 Tanev) 21.05 million we have tied up in cap in addition to the 9.3M in goalies adds up to nearly half of next year's 64M salary cap.

Under next year's cap (WITH Burrows and Edler's raises), this averages to 4M per goalie and defender and we have the remaining 32M for 12 forwards (12M remaining for 9 players with Sedins, Kesler, Burrows accounted for). Surely a salary redistribution is in order. By the way, these numbers do not include our 13th forward or our #7+8 defensemen.

Some notes - this is based on our current roster, assuming Kesler returns to form.

So! Would you and if so who would you trade? Or who you like to see acquired? You don't necessarily have to provide a proposal, even just players you'd like to see in blue and green.

Go Canucks go!

EDIT: I wrote this post on mobile. Do I get a cookie?

EDIT: Added post trade deadline thoughts/update.

Now that the trade deadline's come and passed, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on the Roy trade was? Who would have thought we could get our fabled "top-6 forward" (albeit a rental) for K-Conn and a 2nd?

To further the discussion, with the cap coming down would you make this sort of trade in the offseason for a combination of younger forwards on their ELC's/RFA deals and draft picks?

Who would you trade?

Edited by Chronic.Canucks.Fan, 04 April 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#2 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Im very open to the idea. I'd make everyone but kb3 untouchable ...

We need a shake up on D. Its just not working.

I'm open to moving eddy or hamhuis, to either get a top six forward or maybe a top nine forward and another dman right handed.

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#3 Watermelon

Watermelon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

I don't think cap is much of an issue, if the Canucks either buyout or trade both Booth and Ballard, lets a few UFA's walk (Manny), and make a trade for Luongo. That sheds off like around 15 million which leaves us about 10 million to make huge signings.
Posted Image

#4 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Top 4 D? Top 6 forward? People throw these terms around like every player is the same. Crosby is a top 6 forward. Ballard was a top 4 d (at some pt in his career)...
Posted Image

#5 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

POPULAR

Trade Edler for top 6 forward?..heck yea...I'd trade him for a bag of pucks most nights.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#6 The Sieve

The Sieve

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Edler or Bieksa for sure. Did you watch KB3 last night? He was continually out of position and getting bounced off of the puck by the bigger St. Louis forwards. Neither of them play with any urgency in their stride. Time to change up and add someone up front that can put the puck in the net, be a presence in front of the net and not afraid to support his fellow teammates.

#7 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

They need to trim the fat on that Dcore anyway so yeah bring it, but I highly doubt MG is going to trade a top 4 dman before the playoffs could be epic fail.

#8 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

If the Blues are really looking for a left handed d-man, I would'nt mind trading Edler for Stewart, but only if they re-sign him to a long-term contract first tho...

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#9 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'd be open to trading away Edler and getting a young right-handed d-man in a goalie trade (Schneider package for Carlson? Gudbranson?). Probably won't happen though.

#10 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Why not trade one of our top 4 defenceman to somewhere like Ottawa where they need one? Zack Smith, a center, could come back and fill in our 3rd line role.

#11 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Why not trade one of our top 4 defenceman to somewhere like Ottawa where they need one? Zack Smith, a center, could come back and fill in our 3rd line role.

I'd want Zack Smith to be thrown into the deal, but not the main component coming back in a trade for Edler. Edler has 50pt potential and is capable of laying big hits. He's worth Michalek and Smith IMO
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#12 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Im very open to the idea. I'd make everyone but kb3 untouchable ...

We need a shake up on D. Its just not working.

I'm open to moving eddy or hamhuis, to either get a top six forward or maybe a top nine forward and another dman right handed.

CDC would have killed you a year ago if you had said that you'd rather trade Hammer than Bieksa...

#13 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

No, well maybe Bieksa (or Ballard), but none of the others. Edler stays, his value here is underrated. Hamhuis is too valuable, and Garrison has been an excellent pickup.

zackass.png

#14 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

POPULAR

I can't believe people would want to trade Hamhuis or BK3 :picard:

Hammer is so solid and you can't talk about Bieksa without mentioning the phrase "clutch goal scorer."

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#15 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Under the circumstances (no second line - cap dropping), I might trade a top 4 for a top 9/6 and a top 6....

Edler, Sestito

Couturier, Coburn.

and then Luo and a top 6 (Ballard) for a top 6/9 and a top 6...

Luo, Ballard, Barker, Mullen.

Grabovski, Franson, Frattin, Scrivens.

Sedins Burrows
(Booth Kesler Kassian)
Higgins Grabovski Hansen
Raymond Couturier Schroeder
Pinizzotto Lapierre Frattin
(Weise)

Hamhius Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Coburn Franson
(Alberts)

Schneider Scrivens
(Lack)

Edited by oldnews, 20 March 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#16 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

No, well maybe Bieksa (or Ballard), but none of the others. Edler stays, his value here is underrated. Hamhuis is too valuable, and Garrison has been an excellent pickup.

I dunno man. Edler was valuable pre intervertebral disk herniation. Hes broken now, will never be the same IMHO.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#17 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,779 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

In a heartbeat, too much tied up there, to many NTC's as well. Realistically Edler would be my first choice as his NTC hasn't kicked in and I can't stand the mistakes, then Bieksa, Garrison, and Hamhuis.

Much easier having your forwards trying to score then your defence. I would rather have good forwards and a defence that can play defefence as compared to the gross group of forwards we have and defence that put up points but give up goals left right and center, and I guess behind (drop pass ... looking at you Edler).

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#18 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

POPULAR

I dunno man. Edler was valuable pre intervertebral disk herniation. Hes broken now, will never be the same IMHO.

Doesn't change the fact he is still very valuable in trade. He has gotten better and is returning to form, he is still a 50 point defenseman who plays in all situations and has #1 upside.

That is really valuable. Look what Erik Johnson and Brent Burns returned. And I would say Edler is better than both.

Then you add into the fact he has an absolutely phenomenal contract, and his value only goes up.

He could return alot, but at the same token he holds a NTC and is a key component of our club and our future. I wouldn't move him.

zackass.png

#19 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,344 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Couple ideas with Philly involved

To Vancouver: Sean Couturier, Nick Cousins

To Philly: Alex Edler

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Couturier - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise

or

To Vancouver: Wayne Simmonds

Sedin - Sedin - Simmonds
Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#20 cbdoubleu

cbdoubleu

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

POPULAR

Edler is a future Norris candidate, in an alternate reality where a jet engine falling from the sky kills Letang, Karlsson, Keith, Kronwall, Weber, Suter, Doughty, Subban, and Chara in their sleep.

I'd trade him.

A snake bite emergency kit is a body bag - Mitch Hedberg

#21 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, I would too. Gotta'feeling Philly would be after Edler if they could nab him.

Edler + a fwd (maybe Raymond, or Higgins), & a 2nd.

Van gets Luke Schenn + his bro, or Courturier.

#22 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

POPULAR

Trade one of those goalies for a top six forward and something else..
Posted Image

#23 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

or

Sedin - Sedin - Simmonds

Interesting we had the same main blokes traded, posted the same time. I heard Keith Jones salivating about Edler' skill(during commentary). Think he's still close to Philly's brass...

#24 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Trade one of those goalies for a top six forward and something else..

Get outta here! As if we're going to trade one of our goalies! :P

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#25 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Edler and AV
for
Chris Stewart

Sedins now get their goal scoring power forward they have been looking for, since the Carter days.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#26 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Get outta here! As if we're going to trade one of our goalies! :P

omg! i know! unheard of right?!
Posted Image

#27 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

or

Sedin - Sedin - Simmonds

I like it. I wonder if we could add a plus and acquire Talbot as well. That guy is money in the playoffs and as hardworking as they come. Imagine him with Hansen and Higgins.
Posted Image

#28 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

I can't believe people would want to trade Hamhuis or BK3 :picard:

Hammer is so solid and you can't talk about Bieksa without mentioning the phrase "clutch goal scorer."

This is 2013 not 2011. Hamhuis has been pretty average defensively the last couple of seasons as well as not physical at all and Bieksa causes more goals against with his lazy defensive play and horrible positioning than he scores for us. Neither should be considered untouchable.

Bieksa is also a big part of the leadership group here which doesn't seem to even give a crap anymore.

#29 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'd want Zack Smith to be thrown into the deal, but not the main component coming back in a trade for Edler. Edler has 50pt potential and is capable of laying big hits. He's worth Michalek and Smith IMO

Edler put up 49 points last year sure, but he was a +/- of 0!!! He's a defensive disaster waiting to happen. Take Smith and a pick and run.

#30 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Edler is sooooooooooo painful to watch. He thinks slower than he moves, and he moves like a Zamboni.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.