The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would You Trade a Top-4 D-man For a Top-6 Forward?

Chronic.Canuck

For a winger? Absolutely not.

We'd all love to add a dominant top 6 winger but if we don't we still have a lot of options. It is a lot easier to replace a scoring winger with someone who is at least serviceable. Especially with guys like Hansen and Higgins, on our third line we're actually very well equipped to weather injuries. And Pinizotto/Weiss are serviceable as 3rd liners (if by no means ideal).

Defensive depth is absolutely vital though simply because a team has twice as many forwards as defensemen. Right now we have four solid top 4 D men all of whom have nice offensive upside, plus Tanev as a great plan B. A trade pushes Tanev into the regular top 4 though and as much as I love Tanev, he is still pretty one dimensional. His offensive game isn't there yet. Add to that even one injury and our second pairing could become Tanev/Alberts. That's gonna hurt our offence way more than any holes on the wing. Or maybe Barker? But I'm hardly eager to put ourselves in a situation where we NEED Barker to be good in a major role. That might work out but it could very easily not.

A center might be at least a bit more plausible. We desperately need a 3rd line defensive center. I'm not sure if it would be worth sacrificing a top 4 D man though. Although really, that probably is a moot point. We shouldn't have to give one up to fill this hole.

I don't think that I would trade a top 4 D for a top 6 forward, during the season. This offseason, that's a different story. There's not enough moving parts on teams during the season IMO, and therefore the trading feel all too structured and inflexible. GM's are a little more frivolous (for lack of a better word) during the offseason because they have time to move their cap around to be ready for the season.

As for a player I would love to see in Blue + Green, I must say that I'm a big fan of Brandon Dubinsky (too high of a cap hit for us at the time being).He was great at what he did for the Rangers and I believe that if he came to us with the centers we already have, then he could thrive in a role similar to that which Jordan Staal played for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Hope that answered the question.

As for the talk on here about trading Edler, I want to remind people to think back to when Bieksa resigned with the team after his back to back skate cuts. A lot of people were calling for him to be traded then and didn't think to give him time to come back from it. I hope that people will give Edler the time (that he has earned over the past few years) to come back from this nagging injury and show us the steady defenseman that he is capable of being.

I have to agree. Edler's salary is killing us...ballard, garrison or even tanev can easily handle his minutes. I wonder how much of a voice the sedins have in keeping edler...the sweedish connection and all. Maybe mg thinks he'll piss off and lose the sedins if he trades Eddy?

I have to agree. Edler's salary is killing us...ballard, garrison or even tanev can easily handle his minutes. I wonder how much of a voice the sedins have in keeping edler...the sweedish connection and all. Maybe mg thinks he'll piss off and lose the sedins if he trades Eddy?

Edler's salary is killing us? Dude, the guy took a discount. Do you know how many worse defenseman are making more money? How about paying Garrison 4.6M - a whole 400K less than Edler's 5.0M - for his 4 goals and 7 points?

Wow.

Edler hasn't yet put together a season in which he was really consistent in his own end throughout the season. Finding that consistency is ultimately the LAST step for Edler to become one of the best all around defensemen in the league. To answer your question, this year he does seem to be struggling even more than other years.

it doesn't feel like a discount right now. As for other defensemans, who cares.

I guess the other should say Edler's salary will kill us in the future if he continues to play the same way.

Garrison is actually growing into his own right now. Doing pretty well. Edler hasn't really looked comfortable and has trouble playing defense. He can probably fix it but right now it doesn't feel very good. Garrison might only have 7 points, but at the very least, he hasn't been a total defensive liability.

No! D-men are more valuable than a top 6 player (we're not talking superstars here).

Edler, Hamhuis, KB3, Garrison and Tanev are untouchables.

Ballard is the only expendable d-man we've got.

He cost us 2 1st round picks and we should expect at least a 1st rounder back or top 6 forward back.

For a winger? Absolutely not.

We'd all love to add a dominant top 6 winger but if we don't we still have a lot of options. It is a lot easier to replace a scoring winger with someone who is at least serviceable. Especially with guys like Hansen and Higgins, on our third line we're actually very well equipped to weather injuries. And Pinizotto/Weiss are serviceable as 3rd liners (if by no means ideal).

Defensive depth is absolutely vital though simply because a team has twice as many forwards as defensemen. Right now we have four solid top 4 D men all of whom have nice offensive upside, plus Tanev as a great plan B. A trade pushes Tanev into the regular top 4 though and as much as I love Tanev, he is still pretty one dimensional. His offensive game isn't there yet. Add to that even one injury and our second pairing could become Tanev/Alberts. That's gonna hurt our offence way more than any holes on the wing. Or maybe Barker? But I'm hardly eager to put ourselves in a situation where we NEED Barker to be good in a major role. That might work out but it could very easily not.

A center might be at least a bit more plausible. We desperately need a 3rd line defensive center. I'm not sure if it would be worth sacrificing a top 4 D man though. Although really, that probably is a moot point. We shouldn't have to give one up to fill this hole.

not sure who you trade...but IMO Garrison has been a monumental flop...stick is too long..he doesn't seem comfortable using it...(I Know he has been for a long time)...but he just does not look very good most nights...he can hit...but doesn't often...he is not that fast...or mobile...Ballard..gotta go...but we talk like all you have to do is make a call...and it happens....lol...if that were the case...all GM's would win the cup...there seems to be a massive anti AV and MG component on this board...one can always mock what has been done...but making stupid comments on what "should" be done is assinine...if making trades were that easy ...we would be GM's...it ain't get over it...

it doesn't feel like a discount right now. As for other defensemans, who cares.

I guess the other should say Edler's salary will kill us in the future if he continues to play the same way.

Garrison is actually growing into his own right now. Doing pretty well. Edler hasn't really looked comfortable and has trouble playing defense. He can probably fix it but right now it doesn't feel very good. Garrison might only have 7 points, but at the very least, he hasn't been a total defensive liability.

Archived