The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would You Trade a Top-4 D-man For a Top-6 Forward?

Chronic.Canuck

I usually played D as well in my Hockey playing, so im with you on watching the D-men do their work.

There is actually not alot i disagree with you on at all, because that is closer to what may be the truth than just a few off hand critiques that do not encompass what he brings or does not bring so far this season.

I do disagree about his season last year. He was given heavier minutes, and basically was asked to replace Ehrhoff. And i think he did a great job. So its cool to see things differently.

Eddie is interesting, because i do not blame anyone for being done with him. By virtue of the fact that i agree that its mystifying how he has not learned from his mistakes.

His mistakes are usually the same. And as you know, D is a peculiar position because you can teach it. Why he has not adjusted and shed his negative tendencies is beyond me.

You thoughtfully listed his usual deficiencies. But when he actually has a game where he is sound and those negatives are not there, he is excellent.

Therein lies the problem. Packaging it all together.

A mistake free Eddie would be huge for the team.

Id like to know why he doesnt play simpler until he is fully 100 per cent. Its why i think he may be getting mixed signals from coaches and his teammates.

He is not the only guy capable of generating offence from the blueline.

BTW: The pun was funny, intentional or not. ;)

Great discussion OP!

I would not trade Bieksa. He is a clutch goal scorer and can step it up when it counts. He is a deal at his salary and he wins us games.

I would not trade Hamhuis. He is one of the best 2 way defensemen in the league, and he stops us from losing games.

I would not trade Edler. He will take some time to recover like Raymond did. He will be one of the best in the next couple years.

I would trade Garrison. Although he is getting better, he is expendable compared to the others.

I would trade Ballard. Because trading him is a better option then a buy out.

I would trade Tanev. Tanev is our best defensive defensemen. But he is RFA next year and unless we dump at least 2 of the defensemen I listed above, we can't afford him. Also think of what his trade value is. He has got to be worth a 4 million dollar forward.

I'd hold onto Edler for now. I feel like he could explode any day now and quite frankly he is a star in the making - he will have a great career and defencemen like him don't come along very often. Plus he's huge and CAN play amazingly in the playoffs. Arguably one of the biggest reasons we beat the Blackhawks, but also one of the biggest reasons we lost to L.A.

Garrison has silently been one of our best defencemen. On pace for 12 goals over a full schedule and is our best +/- defenceman, plus he brings physicality in front of our net that we haven't had since Willie Mitchell. This guy will be huge for us in the playoffs.

Bieksa has upped his game big time this season. He's playing physically, throwing big hits but more importantly hasn't had anywhere near as many brainfarts as he has before, and is on pace to set career highs in goals (over a full season). This guy is a true leader on this team, and the defence capitulated without him so he's untouchable.

As for the rest...Hamhuis has been brutal all season long. Racking up a lot of secondary assists, but has not been steady in his own zone, plenty of turnovers and shocking coverage in the crease. Tanev has shown signs of a young defenceman at times but is still great for the #5 spot, he shouldn't be getting 20 minutes a game though. Ballard has been horrible lately and only plays well if he plays lots. Great for the #6 spot considering if we have a top-4 injury or two, he can step up and play 20 minutes well. He only struggles when he's limited to 15-18 minutes a game. This guy needs to get into a rhythm to play well - scratching him every second game doesn't help.

We have Vandermeer, Barker and Alberts who are all capable of 15-19 minutes of solid physical defensive hockey which makes a top-6 guy expendable. Ballard really should be gone for a 3rd line forward, pushing Hansen/Raymond/Higgins/Kassian up into our top-6.

People keep saying Edler has potential or is still young and will be a top D-man in his prime. Well he's 26 now and players tend to hit their peak at 27. That's the age where what you see is what you get. If you're not a top D-man by 27, then chances are you won't be one by 28.

Couple ideas with Philly involved

To Vancouver: Sean Couturier, Nick Cousins

To Philly: Alex Edler

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Couturier - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Lapierre - Weise

or

To Vancouver: Wayne Simmonds

To Philly: Alex Edler

Sedin - Sedin - Simmonds

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Lapierre - Weise

Ballard, possibly Garrison depending on what's coming back our way.

No way we can trade Hamhuis. We have D depth but not that much depth to trade away a solid shut down D-man (unless another shut down D-man is coming our way)

Wow, can't believe how little people value Edler.

As a Jets fan, we really don't need another defenseman, but if people would really take "a bag of pucks for him," I'd be happy shipping off Nik Antropov for him. Won't happen, of course, as Edler is worth more than Vancouver fans realize.

I know Canucks fans are trying to find out what pieces are missing, but I can assure you that the talent on the team is there. What's missing is heart and urgency. Kesler coming back won't fix it.

The only course of action to really get the players playing with a sense of urgency and heart is to make a coaching change. The players need a different message and voice in the dressing room. Gillis won't/can't trade Sedin's, Kesler, or Bieksa. If those voices aren't going to change things, then AV is the odd man out. I like him, but that's the next logical step.

People keep saying Edler has potential or is still young and will be a top D-man in his prime. Well he's 26 now and players tend to hit their peak at 27. That's the age where what you see is what you get. If you're not a top D-man by 27, then chances are you won't be one by 28.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the trade deadline's come and passed, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on the Roy trade was? Who would have thought we could get our fabled "top-6 forward" (albeit a rental) for K-Conn and a 2nd?

To further the discussion, with the cap coming down would you make this sort of trade in the offseason for a combination of younger forwards on their ELC's/RFA deals and draft picks?

Who would you trade?

Archived