The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Am I The Only One Who Think J.Shroeder Looks Diminutive, Unimposing?

Pasific Coluseum

Imposing? He's barely 5.8.

Schroeder was throwing his body around last game, which I was really happy about. If he's going to play at the NHL level at that height and weight he should really develop some edge to his game. Although, it's nearly impossible to just "develop" an edge.

I'm in no way a J.Shroeder hater but lets be real here. Every time I see him on the ice he looks way too small to be on the ice. Think all the way back to when Steve Kariya tried out for the Vancouver Canucks.

Save for the beautiful pass to Dale Weise last night, it has been rough sailing for Jordan. When he goes into a corner to battle for the puck he always gets mauled like he has no business being on a 4th line grinding shift. He clearly doesn't have the skillset to consistently pop in goals on a nightly basis.

I would seriously consider a long hard look at packaging him up. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I don't see Jordan lasting more than 2 more years in this league. I see a Ebbett journey man/ AHL/ Overseas career in Shroeder.

I would absolutely do a Visnovsky/Boyes for Shroeder & 3rd at the deadline!!

No, you're not the only one who thinks that.

Am I the only one who thinks less than 25 games in the league (in which he's shown some flashes of creativity and skill) is a little early to give up on yet another prospect? No, I'm not the only one who thinks that.

He's not really supposed to be imposing. I think Sestito has that covered.

For some reason I'm kind of expecting him to possibly develop into a Larionov type player. He's definitely a thinker. If you watch him play, he's always looking around and rarely tunnel visions. I can't recall a time I've seen him panic with the puck yet. He has a lot of poise and patience, especially considering his lack of experience.

I've also seen him win his share of puck battles on the boards, although he also has his moments of bouncing off guys who are set. Not to say he always makes the right choices positionally or doesn't screw up execution, but that's par for the course for anyone playing at the speed these guys are.

sestito doesn't look small, and thats why we grabbed him. schroeder is supposed to make passes and play responsibly. which he has. i like how you brushed off his assist like it was nothing. it was a beaut, and a highlight example of him playing his role.

I believe that if Schroeder is to have a future here (let alone in the NHL), he'll have to develop his game along similar lines to Ronning. He will have to improve at face-offs (which can be done, but he may lose some merely due to a size/strength dis-advantage) and checking (and he's not that bad atm in this regard given his age/experience).

The thing which might give him greater longevity in the NHL is whether or not he can play wing. This will increase his utility to the team so he could still be on the ice in situations where the coaching staff are trying to get away from a size mis-match at center. To date, all attempts to play Schroeder at wing have had a less than stellar result.

regards,

G.

If he wasn't 180 pounds then I would see his size as a problem. He weighs the same as the twins and is waaay shorter.

The only thing he should be worried about with his size is he is a lot more prone to getting hits to the head because he is so short.

I see him adding another 5-10 pounds in the next couple years and once he gains those pounds it won't be very easy to knock him off the puck, he's got a pretty good center of gravity already with his huge legs.

I would say his passing and skating is top notch in the NHL and his shot is pretty good as well.

He is only going to get better with confidence and experience and playing with better players.

He kind of reminds me of Cody in how he's willing to do whatever it takes to be a good player in the NHL.

Schroeder is an offensive player who needs to be put together with offensive linemates in order to be successful. Don't expect the guy to lay out big hits or try to power by larger players purely with force. His entire game is based on finesse and play-making.

Archived