The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kelowna SUV Driver hits dogs, refuses to take dying animal to Vet

J529

Awesome about your mom, Special Ed. My sister-in-law does reptile rescue in Richmond in her's and my brother's house. They are awesome!

Thanks for 'splainin' your position. I understand your stance much better now. I'd still like to hammer the driver of the SUV in the face for taking off on an animal in distress, though. I also agree with your comments about people being unprepared and, frankly, unwilling to care for their pets. They are only puppies and kittens and fry for so long. Then they are adults who need just as much love and care as they did when they were little.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions, dude. ::D

I think it's a little ridiculous to blast this guy. Do you guys pull over for every piece of roadkill, bum lying on the road, and injured animal on the street? Most of you guys would probably be terrified to touch blood that isn't your own.

If you hit a pedestrian with your car, are you really going to drive them to the hospital? I highly doubt it, you would call an ambulance.

The story is written extremely one-sidedly to feed on your emotions and is not objective at all.

I think it's a little ridiculous to blast this guy. Do you guys pull over for every piece of roadkill, bum lying on the road, and injured animal on the street? Most of you guys would probably be terrified to touch blood that isn't your own.

If you hit a pedestrian with your car, are you really going to drive them to the hospital? I highly doubt it, you would call an ambulance.

The story is written extremely one-sidedly to feed on your emotions and is not objective at all.

There are no dog ambulances unfortunately.

This wasn't "roadkill"...this was someone's beloved "friend" and was very alive before Mr. New SUV ran into them. To suggest he'd come back and then not do so?....sounds like a champion to me. I actually did offer to drive an injured dog and their owner to the vet once and they really appreciated it....showed up at my work with a thank you card/gift. Road "kill" is dead...a dying animal that you have a chance to save is a whole other ball game and it's heartless NOT to try to do something...especially if you're the responsible party!

Ed, the dog was on a leash at the owners' side...so what if it had been his 2 year old son?

It was in an alley way and it's the drivers' responsibility to check behind him before backing up...you can't simply run people/animals down when you're in a hurry. He also clipped the man.

The driver who hit the dog is a scumbag. He didn't want the dog getting into his SUV because of the leather interiors. An animal is dying, which is alot more important then some material posession. Further proves what a dick he is by lieing he would get help. If driver is caught, he'll get a slap on the wrist.

Dont start putting animals and humans on the same level for care and concern. Sure I like dogs and cats and they are part of our family but they are animals. Compared to people they are just animals. The law is correct. They are property. This isnt the touchy feely PC answer but it is correct.

Ed, the dog was on a leash at the owners' side...so what if it had been his 2 year old son?

It was in an alley way and it's the drivers' responsibility to check behind him before backing up...you can't simply run people/animals down when you're in a hurry. He also clipped the man.

Dont start putting animals and humans on the same level for care and concern. Sure I like dogs and cats and they are part of our family but they are animals. Compared to people they are just animals. The law is correct. They are property. This isnt the touchy feely PC answer but it is correct.

As opposed to loving hearing about human deaths?

Anyways on topic: crappy situation! The driver should have helped as most normal people would do... no he doesn't deserve to be beaten or killed for not helping though... People view animals differently, if he hit someone's chicken (actually I just saw this happen about a week ago) no one would be calling for his head.

Insensitive, douchey etc etc... but not worthy of a death sentence as others in this post have called for.

This is actually completely false sorry to say.

Dogs and cats are family members, they are what many people live for, some people's only companions, some people's best friends. The law's do not speak to the reality of where dogs and cats fit in our lives.

Animal care though expensive is a fraction of the costs for human care, it's important for people to open a bank account for their furry loved one's and/or get pet insurance, the same thing one might do for their children.

The quality of care for animals actually is followed more closely than human medicine and their are tighter rules, regulations, stricter policies in many cases than human medicine. Humans and animals are already at a parallel level of care and concern. If you have an animal loved one you understand this. Some people choose to separate themselves from the reality for others that this is a real and genuine.

Archived