The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kelowna SUV Driver hits dogs, refuses to take dying animal to Vet

J529

Domesticated animals deserve the same standard of care. Just because they are someones property doesnt mean they don't deserve to be saved.

If your dog was drowning in a river you'd just let it die?

Well if it's just his dog he probably would. I guess you meant if it was between a dog or a human which one would he save?

Can't speak for him but if I found myself in that position:

If it is my dog then yes I'd feel an emotional pull and go for the dog first.

If it is a dog then I would go for the person, no questions asked.

Well if it's just his dog he probably would. I guess you meant if it was between a dog or a human which one would he save?

Can't speak for him but if I found myself in that position:

If it is my dog then yes I'd feel an emotional pull and go for the dog first.

If it is a dog then I would go for the person, no questions asked.

No I would not risk my life for my dog. I'd be willing to risk injury to save my dog but not my life.

how would the kids and wife feel about daddy dying and leaving them alone because he tried to save an animal?

I invite everyone that would risk their life to save an animal to show up at the local abatior/slaughter house and take a moral stand by stopping the deaths of so many cows and pigs and chickens and such.

No I would not risk my life for my dog. I'd be willing to risk injury to save my dog but not my life.

how would the kids and wife feel about daddy dying and leaving them alone because he tried to save an animal?

I invite everyone that would risk their life to save an animal to show up at the local abatior/slaughter house and take a moral stand by stopping the deaths of so many cows and pigs and chickens and such.

Dogs and horses were eaten by Apache's down in the states. dog was a traditional food in the Phillipeans. You have judged what you believe to be pet and what you believe to be food. truth is all animals, including humans, are food. Fall overboard at sea and you are food for the fish, shark etc. I invite you to not be so condescending.

Dogs and horses were eaten by Apache's down in the states. dog was a traditional food in the Phillipeans. You have judged what you believe to be pet and what you believe to be food. truth is all animals, including humans, are food. Fall overboard at sea and you are food for the fish, shark etc. I invite you to not be so condescending.

I'm not sure I buy into that he 'clipped the man' who could just be upset and making things up. Unless there is an actual injury and hospital report I'm not jumping all over what the dog owner says.

If the dog was on a leash there is no way it should have been run over and was either too close to the vehicle or the dog owner wasn't paying attention. As a driver of an SUV you can check behind you and easily not spot a dog that's close to your vehicle.

The guy is on crutches and the dog died...what more do you need? And he refused to give his information...when you've hit something, I believe you should exchange information.

Of course the man's upset....but a few things done differently likely would have this a done deal by now. Blame the irresponsible driver for that.

Well, one thing is for certain...if either one of our two dogs were harmed while under my care/watch, my wife would have me neutered and sleeping in the doghouse. If what happened to the Kelowna man happened to me, my other ankle would have gotten broken when I came home with the news (and my wife is a loving, peaceful person...imagine what would happen to me if she wasn't...yikes!!!).

That (the paragraph above) is an illustration of how much some people love their pets...it's an emotional matter, with deep seeded connection -- whether it's from a legal, moral or cultural perspective, people who love their pets will do everything they can to care for and protect them. It's not an issue of whose life has greater value (i.e., pets or humans)...it's about being understanding and compassionate about dogowners and their love for their dogs (especially what appears to be an injured person and dying dog, caused by actions of the driver). I don't have the evidence in front of me, but there have been psychological studies done that show pet owners are typically more compassionate to other human beings than those without pets.

This incident where dude drives away without a thought to helping the Kelowna man and his dying dog is, at the heart, just a real sad commentary about how people just don't give a sh!t about each other. Such is life...hopefully SUV dude doesn't expect compassion to come his way anytime soon.

I think it's a little ridiculous to blast this guy. Do you guys pull over for every piece of roadkill, bum lying on the road, and injured animal on the street? Most of you guys would probably be terrified to touch blood that isn't your own.

If you hit a pedestrian with your car, are you really going to drive them to the hospital? I highly doubt it, you would call an ambulance.

The story is written extremely one-sidedly to feed on your emotions and is not objective at all.

That's not at all what I said so not sure what the " quoting " my post means lol....

The point is in the field of medicine, veterinary or human...it is already very close in terms of policies, rules, regulations, and so on. It is very serious and the fact that these pets are considered loved ones is real, its a fact. I meant that in healthcare for animals or humans is very close in these terms.

I am not a dog or cat person myself, I deal with them everyday and I can gaurantee you that in most cases these " animals " are indeed family members, huge parts of one's life and its not a matter of human or animal but loved one.

This has zero to do with choosing to save an animal over a human, please elaborate on what you meant please.

Archived