The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder...Exactly what Kesler Needs?

RyanKeslord17

Here we go again...

Let's move a guy who went 57.4 and 53.6 in the faceoff circle the last two years to the wing, and have a rookie center him.

Deja vu all ova aggggggaaaain.

Schroeder on his wing, fine, not a bad idea (wingers can still pass the puck btw) but...a Selke winger...

Jere Lehtinen the only winger in the last 20 years to win the Selke...

Nada good idea.

A bit off topic, but this is something I was thinking about the other day when I went to the Team Store and saw Schroeder #45 shirts.

What # do you guys think he will wear when he is on the team full time?

He wore #19 for the University of Minnesota, and for the WJ team. But obviously thats taken, as is #9. And I'm pretty sure he wore #12 for the U18 team, which is obviously also taken.

He wore #23 for the Moose and #18 for the Wolves.

So I guess #18 is most likely?

Here we go again...

Let's move a guy who went 57.4 and 53.6 in the faceoff circle the last two years to the wing, and have a rookie center him.

Deja vu all ova aggggggaaaain.

Schroeder on his wing, fine, not a bad idea (wingers can still pass the puck btw) but...a Selke winger...

Jere Lehtinen the only winger in the last 20 years to win the Selke...

Nada good idea.

It may seem a bit weird moving a guy like Kesler over for a rookie, but even Laurence Gilman suggested it:

"Ryan is a finisher, he's a shooter and he's a unique centreiceman (he's also really good at Faceoffs which is a key role for a centreiceman)," explained Gilman, "but some of the best hockey Kesler played in my time here is when he played right wing, with Mats Sundin in the middle." He continued to discuss a scenario in which the Canucks might consider moving Ryan Kesler over the wing, "When you have assets like Jordan Schroeder you have the luxury of maybe playing Ryan with other players."

Here's the full link:

http://flamesnation.ca/2013/2/8/jordan-schroeder-meet-ryan-kesler

It may seem a bit weird moving a guy like Kesler over for a rookie, but even Laurence Gilman suggested it:

"Ryan is a finisher, he's a shooter and he's a unique centreiceman (he's also really good at Faceoffs which is a key role for a centreiceman)," explained Gilman, "but some of the best hockey Kesler played in my time here is when he played right wing, with Mats Sundin in the middle." He continued to discuss a scenario in which the Canucks might consider moving Ryan Kesler over the wing, "When you have assets like Jordan Schroeder you have the luxury of maybe playing Ryan with other players."

Here's the full link:

http://flamesnation....eet-ryan-kesler

I've said from the start I'd like to see Schroeder get a chance on the second line with Kesler (and Booth, but now he won't be available until later in the playoffs it seems). That duo needed a playmaker, and Hodgson may have been able to fit with that as well (the only drawback being his speed, which Schroeder has), but well have to see chemistry once Kesler returns in April.

Write down the line however you want, with Schroeder at center or wing, but Kesler would take the draws as he's our best faceoff guy with Manny out. During open play in the offensive zone, Schroeder could play more of a center role, while in the defensive end Kesler could do so. It could certainly be worked out without strictly defining one as a center and one as a winger.

I think Kesler (the shooter) and Shroeder (the passer) would work well together. I doubt it matters which one you put at centre vs wing after the puck is dropped, as long as the know what there responsabilities are.

Once they gain the zone, everyone has the ability to move anywhere.

I think shredder has the potential to centre him if kesler takes the draws. Shredder's back checking is great but I'm not sure I want him trying to contain joe Thornton down low in a heated playoff series..

We're a bit of a weird team as our second line is our shutdown line. If we can find another manny(before the injury) for the third line I would have no problem putting Schroeder on the second line and moving kesler over.. Now you've turned kesler into a scoring winger and Schroeder into an offensive centre..

Gillis should really try to get that manny type player back so the defensive burden isn't on kes.. I'd be fine trading a top prospect or first for one if he was that highly regarded and an RFA at contract end... The key to us winning the cup with the team we have now IMO is making kesler an offensive player. Our decline started when kesler took the defensive burden while still trying to be the secondary scoring punch. We're making him do too much and it's showing a slight decline in his offensive and defensive game. That slight decline does not put us over the top.

I bet you booth would start to flourish too if we wasn't forced to play shut down with kes.

Sedin Sedin Kassian offense

Booth Schroeder kesler offense

Burrows bolland Hansen shutdown

Tito lapierre weise tough guys that can play effective

Obviously not bolland but I'm just slotting a shutdown guy in to show how deadly we would look with a pure shutdown centreman and an offensive 2nd line

The point about Schroeder being a defensive center against top NHL lines is a valid one, and I think one of the main underlying reasons for why people are wary of him being effective. Some people take that to mean he can't be effective in any role however.

I do think he can be an inexpensive playmaking option for the second though, with all the skill and experience Kesler and the other winger (Booth/Raymond/Burrows/Higgins/etc) would have. Even Lapierre can be a good 3rd line shutdown guy with Hansen and whoever plays the left wing with them (again, any of the previous choices really are good options) apart from his offence perhaps lacking a little for a top 3rd line center.

Maybe it comes down to having someone not necessarily better than Lapierre, but similar to him that is still effective in the faceoff circle but can be very defensively responsible. Do we have to try and guarantee a win this year, or could we be ok with someone like Lain taking over the 4th if he shows promise with the Wolves - or is that wishful thinking?

I've been a pretty strong advocate for lappy handling the job before but he just doesn't seem to be doing much this year. The frustrated look on his face says it all.

Would love Shawn Matthias' spark right now, he's on a roll but his FO% might not make him the perfect fit. Seems to fluctuate between 45-51%. If I'm going to take kesler out of those dzone draws I want a bit better than an average below 50 this season. I think he'd be our perfect third line centre if that improved... Get him, get manny working with him at practice and see what happens?

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fine skating with Kes.

I think shredder has the potential to centre him if kesler takes the draws. Shredder's back checking is great but I'm not sure I want him trying to contain joe Thornton down low in a heated playoff series..

We're a bit of a weird team as our second line is our shutdown line. If we can find another manny(before the injury) for the third line I would have no problem putting Schroeder on the second line and moving kesler over.. Now you've turned kesler into a scoring winger and Schroeder into an offensive centre..

Gillis should really try to get that manny type player back so the defensive burden isn't on kes.. I'd be fine trading a top prospect or first for one if he was that highly regarded and an RFA at contract end... The key to us winning the cup with the team we have now IMO is making kesler an offensive player. Our decline started when kesler took the defensive burden while still trying to be the secondary scoring punch. We're making him do too much and it's showing a slight decline in his offensive and defensive game. That slight decline does not put us over the top.

I bet you booth would start to flourish too if we wasn't forced to play shut down with kes.

Sedin Sedin Kassian offense

Booth Schroeder kesler offense

Burrows bolland Hansen shutdown

Tito lapierre weise tough guys that can play effective

Obviously not bolland but I'm just slotting a shutdown guy in to show how deadly we would look with a pure shutdown centreman and an offensive 2nd line

why set kassian up to fail on the forth line. he started proving he's got the ability to contribute offensively as well as physically he should be a regular on the pp and put in situations to succeed not be labeled a plug and a fourth liner.

the needs for this team(as i see it) are a REAL top 2 d-man/pp quarterback and two GOOD centers that can win face offs if nothing else.

The second line would suck with Schroeder on it. Booth is out - hurt again, and Kesler is one of the best defensive centres in the league - why the heck demote him to the wing for a rookie who hasn't proven a damn thing at the pro level.

Archived