Posted Image

#32 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I like the idea but if Hodgson wasn't moved over to be Kesler's right winger, why would Schroeder be?

schroeder has played right wing before and I don't believe Hodgson has

#33 cbdoubleu

cbdoubleu

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

I think you're thinking of Dr. Scholls.

A snake bite emergency kit is a body bag - Mitch Hedberg

#34 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I think shredder has the potential to centre him if kesler takes the draws. Shredder's back checking is great but I'm not sure I want him trying to contain joe Thornton down low in a heated playoff series..

We're a bit of a weird team as our second line is our shutdown line. If we can find another manny(before the injury) for the third line I would have no problem putting Schroeder on the second line and moving kesler over.. Now you've turned kesler into a scoring winger and Schroeder into an offensive centre..

Gillis should really try to get that manny type player back so the defensive burden isn't on kes.. I'd be fine trading a top prospect or first for one if he was that highly regarded and an RFA at contract end... The key to us winning the cup with the team we have now IMO is making kesler an offensive player. Our decline started when kesler took the defensive burden while still trying to be the secondary scoring punch. We're making him do too much and it's showing a slight decline in his offensive and defensive game. That slight decline does not put us over the top.

I bet you booth would start to flourish too if we wasn't forced to play shut down with kes.

Sedin Sedin Kassian offense
Booth Schroeder kesler offense
Burrows bolland Hansen shutdown
Tito lapierre weise tough guys that can play effective

Obviously not bolland but I'm just slotting a shutdown guy in to show how deadly we would look with a pure shutdown centreman and an offensive 2nd line

#35 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

The point about Schroeder being a defensive center against top NHL lines is a valid one, and I think one of the main underlying reasons for why people are wary of him being effective. Some people take that to mean he can't be effective in any role however.

I do think he can be an inexpensive playmaking option for the second though, with all the skill and experience Kesler and the other winger (Booth/Raymond/Burrows/Higgins/etc) would have. Even Lapierre can be a good 3rd line shutdown guy with Hansen and whoever plays the left wing with them (again, any of the previous choices really are good options) apart from his offence perhaps lacking a little for a top 3rd line center.

Maybe it comes down to having someone not necessarily better than Lapierre, but similar to him that is still effective in the faceoff circle but can be very defensively responsible. Do we have to try and guarantee a win this year, or could we be ok with someone like Lain taking over the 4th if he shows promise with the Wolves - or is that wishful thinking?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#36 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I've been a pretty strong advocate for lappy handling the job before but he just doesn't seem to be doing much this year. The frustrated look on his face says it all.

Would love Shawn Matthias' spark right now, he's on a roll but his FO% might not make him the perfect fit. Seems to fluctuate between 45-51%. If I'm going to take kesler out of those dzone draws I want a bit better than an average below 50 this season. I think he'd be our perfect third line centre if that improved... Get him, get manny working with him at practice and see what happens?

#37 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fine skating with Kes.

Kesler played a minus 4 alright, WITH A BROKEN FOOT!!!!!!!!!

#38 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

I think shredder has the potential to centre him if kesler takes the draws. Shredder's back checking is great but I'm not sure I want him trying to contain joe Thornton down low in a heated playoff series..

We're a bit of a weird team as our second line is our shutdown line. If we can find another manny(before the injury) for the third line I would have no problem putting Schroeder on the second line and moving kesler over.. Now you've turned kesler into a scoring winger and Schroeder into an offensive centre..

Gillis should really try to get that manny type player back so the defensive burden isn't on kes.. I'd be fine trading a top prospect or first for one if he was that highly regarded and an RFA at contract end... The key to us winning the cup with the team we have now IMO is making kesler an offensive player. Our decline started when kesler took the defensive burden while still trying to be the secondary scoring punch. We're making him do too much and it's showing a slight decline in his offensive and defensive game. That slight decline does not put us over the top.

I bet you booth would start to flourish too if we wasn't forced to play shut down with kes.

Sedin Sedin Kassian offense
Booth Schroeder kesler offense
Burrows bolland Hansen shutdown
Tito lapierre weise tough guys that can play effective

Obviously not bolland but I'm just slotting a shutdown guy in to show how deadly we would look with a pure shutdown centreman and an offensive 2nd line

The second line would suck with Schroeder on it. Booth is out - hurt again, and Kesler is one of the best defensive centres in the league - why the heck demote him to the wing for a rookie who hasn't proven a damn thing at the pro level.

#39 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

why set kassian up to fail on the forth line. he started proving he's got the ability to contribute offensively as well as physically he should be a regular on the pp and put in situations to succeed not be labeled a plug and a fourth liner.

the needs for this team(as i see it) are a REAL top 2 d-man/pp quarterback and two GOOD centers that can win face offs if nothing else.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#40 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

The second line would suck with Schroeder on it. Booth is out - hurt again, and Kesler is one of the best defensive centres in the league - why the heck demote him to the wing for a rookie who hasn't proven a damn thing at the pro level.

I know booth is hurt I'm just giving a rough outline of a healthy lineup.. You seemed to have missed my point. Kesler takes a ton of dzone draws and plays against the top lines of every team. Yeah he's one of the best defensive Centres in the league but I'm saying decide what role you want him to play. He's doing to much and it's hurting his game both defensively and offensively.

Put him in an offensive role with offensive players if you want a scoring line... or put him in a defensive role with defensive players and say chip in when you can but do not let Crosby score.

Don't put him in a defensive role with offensive players, tell him to shutdown the other teams best player and set booth up for 60 points. It's not working and hasn't really worked at all since manny got hurt..

Putting him on the wing in an offensive role is not demoting him.. I'm saying get that guy to take the defensive burden off him and form a shutdown line. Schroeders best chance to succeed in a offensive role is centering the 2nd line, lets see If he can do it and finally find chemistry for that line.
Or try

Sedin sedin kesler
Raymond Schroeder Burrows
Higgins shutdownC Hansen

I dunno I just think they need to redefine his role here

#41 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

JS as Kesler winger if he's tried on the second line.

#42 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

If Schroeder is going to be our second line center then we should have just promoted Hodgson..
Posted Image

#43 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

If Schroeder is going to be our second line center then we should have just promoted Hodgson..

Maybe we should have... We didnt, we traded him and kesler got hurt. We screwed up but still got a player that can be a dominant power forward in the future. Time to take our lumps, move on and find a way to improve the team.

The good thing is we have a rookie top six skill level centre in Schroeder that is showing us his size is not an issue in the NHL.

#44 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

He makes a lucky spin-a-rama pass that miraculously results in a goal, and suddenly he's the playmaker we've been looking for? What a joke.

#45 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

He makes a lucky spin-a-rama pass that miraculously results in a goal, and suddenly he's the playmaker we've been looking for? What a joke.

Most players woulda dumped that in the corner but he found a way to put it right on weise's tape.. Some of us have followed our prospects development and want to discuss it. If you don't have any thing constructive to add then log off and go to bed.

#46 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

I lol'd at Weise as our 4th line center

me too..

Dank Hank Burr
Booth/Raymond Kesler Schroeder
Higgins LaPierre Hansen
Pinnizotto Lain Kassian
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#47 TheGreatCanucks

TheGreatCanucks

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

Kassian on the fourth line = NO

#48 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

If we just keep Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen together as a second line with killer speed, then Kesler can go back to doing what he does best, shutdown center and faceoff king centering the third line. Just like that we go from a lineup with almost no forward depth to one that has four solid lines, each with a distinct style: 1. Sedins 2. speed 3. Kesler 4. tough guys.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#49 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

I don't see why the Canucks can't just have Schroeder on the 3rd line with Raymond on the left and Kassian on the right.
You don't have to have a shutdown line as your 3rd.

We all saw how effective the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line was during the playoffs a few years back, so there's no reason why you can't recreate a new one with Schroeder and Kassian.

Regardless of who is actually on the 3rd line, it's Kesler who will be checking the top offensive line. Just have Hansen on his right-wing and let the 2nd line create offensive by causing turnovers, aggressively forechecking and outworking the opposition's top line.

#50 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

No Kesler isn't more suited to the wing.

Center is as much about defense as it is offense. And Kesler is obviously better at faceoffs and defensively than Schroeder.

Plus your reasons, (Speed and Wrist shot) Are both things Schroeder has aswell.

Maybe give Schroeder a shot at Wing, but don't bump Kes over for him.

if kesler is more suited to be a center then he should be a 3rd line center not a second line center with 0 playmaking ability

#51 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

if kesler is more suited to be a center then he should be a 3rd line center not a second line center with 0 playmaking ability

50 assists in a season as a career high says differently.

zackass.png

#52 canucksfan555

canucksfan555

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

Usually centers are more suited to a LW role, So I could see Schroeder maybe sliding into the 2nd line in the near future.. something along these lines:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Schroeder-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Higgins-Hansen
Booth-Lapierre-Weise

Extra: Pini

I

Edited by canucksfan555, 22 March 2013 - 04:12 AM.

#53 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

Firstly, Hansen has been our best non-Sedin player and up there with Hank for MVP. Take away Kesler and this team seems to be fine, take away a guy like Hansen and we lose our best secondary scorer along with one of our best PKers.

I'd love to see AV try this when Kesler gets back:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Burrows - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Pinizotto - Lapierre - Weise

Kesler needs a playmaker and Burrows is essentially a Sedin now. Hansen is our best net presence and it makes sense to put our 3 best players on the same line. Kes and Burr have proven chemistry as well which should help him get back to basics.
Posted Image

#54 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

:)
Posted Image

#55 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Kesler can run his own line.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinnozotto-Lapierre-Weise

Subbancopy.jpg

#56 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Schroeder at 2C level of production is exactly what we need as a team. Kesler doesn't need nothing.
Posted Image

#57 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Kesler can run his own line.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinnozotto-Lapierre-Weise

You bet when Kesler comes back AV is gonna want to break up the Hansen Raymond Schroeder line and stick Raymond with Kesler and Higgins, because Raymond has 'earned his ice time'.
Posted Image

#58 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fine skating with Kes.

7 Games after a very lengthy time off. He still put up 5 points in 7 games and his skating was still the same. I fully expect Kesler to return to form once he's healthy.
:towel:

#59 Assistant GM

Assistant GM

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

You're right, Schroeder has looked terrible on the second line the last couple of games :blink:.

He has the skill to be a second liner, but I would say keep the Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen line together as they've been clicking lately. With Kesler back and a potential player coming at the deadline - three lines of scoring.

#60 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hodgson had the potential, too early in his development to have realized it when he was here, to have offered so much offensively that Kesler could have ultimately plied his defensive role from the 3rd line? He had a knack for making plays we have yet to see from Schroeder.

But I don't believe Kesler is lost, and useless as a defensive player any more. He simply has been injured, effectively for 2 years. And as injured as he has been, his last is a broken foot from blocking a shot. Not a glass jaw or recurring degenerative knee problems. He's 28 not 38 and in superb condition. There is every reason to believe Kesler will be as effective as he was three years ago. And as such; I would not be considering supplanting Schroeder into his 2knd line centre role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.