The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder...Exactly what Kesler Needs?

RyanKeslord17

If we just keep Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen together as a second line with killer speed, then Kesler can go back to doing what he does best, shutdown center and faceoff king centering the third line. Just like that we go from a lineup with almost no forward depth to one that has four solid lines, each with a distinct style: 1. Sedins 2. speed 3. Kesler 4. tough guys.

I don't see why the Canucks can't just have Schroeder on the 3rd line with Raymond on the left and Kassian on the right.

You don't have to have a shutdown line as your 3rd.

We all saw how effective the Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line was during the playoffs a few years back, so there's no reason why you can't recreate a new one with Schroeder and Kassian.

Regardless of who is actually on the 3rd line, it's Kesler who will be checking the top offensive line. Just have Hansen on his right-wing and let the 2nd line create offensive by causing turnovers, aggressively forechecking and outworking the opposition's top line.

No Kesler isn't more suited to the wing.

Center is as much about defense as it is offense. And Kesler is obviously better at faceoffs and defensively than Schroeder.

Plus your reasons, (Speed and Wrist shot) Are both things Schroeder has aswell.

Maybe give Schroeder a shot at Wing, but don't bump Kes over for him.

Firstly, Hansen has been our best non-Sedin player and up there with Hank for MVP. Take away Kesler and this team seems to be fine, take away a guy like Hansen and we lose our best secondary scorer along with one of our best PKers.

I'd love to see AV try this when Kesler gets back:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian

Pinizotto - Lapierre - Weise

Kesler needs a playmaker and Burrows is essentially a Sedin now. Hansen is our best net presence and it makes sense to put our 3 best players on the same line. Kes and Burr have proven chemistry as well which should help him get back to basics.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fine skating with Kes.

Hodgson had the potential, too early in his development to have realized it when he was here, to have offered so much offensively that Kesler could have ultimately plied his defensive role from the 3rd line? He had a knack for making plays we have yet to see from Schroeder.

But I don't believe Kesler is lost, and useless as a defensive player any more. He simply has been injured, effectively for 2 years. And as injured as he has been, his last is a broken foot from blocking a shot. Not a glass jaw or recurring degenerative knee problems. He's 28 not 38 and in superb condition. There is every reason to believe Kesler will be as effective as he was three years ago. And as such; I would not be considering supplanting Schroeder into his 2knd line centre role.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fine skating with Kes.

Archived