The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do street lights turn off when I walk by?

So growing up, I noticed at night when I walk by street lamps that always, always, on any particular day, a street lamp will turn off as I walk by and it freaks me out. Not really paranoid about it, it is just very unusual and it frequently happens.

I decided to google it and apparently I am not the only one this happens to, (I thought I was the only), and am a little more relieved I am not the only one.

When I googled this, "why do street lights turn off when I walk by", the first page up was a wikipedia page with the title, "Street light interference phenomenon"!!!!

Street light interference, or SLI, is an alleged anomalous phenomenon where a person seems to turn off (or sometimes on) street lights, or outside building security lights, when passing near them.

Although street lights can turn off by chance, such as high pressure sodium street lights cycling (turning on and off repeatedly) at the end of their life cycle, believers in street light interference tend to claim that it happens to them personally on a regular basis, more frequently than chance would explain. Some propose paranormal explanations for SLI, sometimes based on scientific terminology, such as the explanation that electrical impulses in their brain interfere with the workings of electric lights. Anecdotes about people's experiences of SLI have been reported by news sources.[1]

SLI has never been demonstrated to occur in a scientific experiment, and those who claim to cause it have been found to be unable to reproduce the effect on demand; they give the explanation that the effect is not within their mental and physical control.[2] Many times they do report, however, that it occurs with specific lamps and not just randomly shutting off street lights or electrical lamps in general.[3][4]

Has anyone else noticed this in Vancouver??

I too have thought that somehow I turned off streetlights randomly, but often enough to be weird....then i saw the world, joined the army, saw more of the world, traveled Canada, bought and sold three houses and have this great hockey team to like...and somehow I have not noticed it very much the past twenty years or so. Although, last week i was walking my dog under a streetlamp that suddenly came on..and i almost jumped out of my skin.

You seem like a well grounded person, so let me start by saying it's not your fault.

However, your current situation has shocking potential....

...it could be just a phase you're going through, or how you conduct yourself. Just remember, resistance can transform any situation.

I was at a friend's sister's house on his birthday sitting in a corner that was dark. I looked around and saw a tall lamp and turned it on. She said, "how did you do that? That lamp hasn't worked in over a year." My buddy points at me and says, "he does weird s*** like that!!"

Archived