The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Gordon Recalled

- PikaBOO -

Why is it a sign of our doom that we can call up players from our AHL team? Isn't that the definition of depth? Isn't that the point of having an AHL team? To groom your AHL players to be able to fill roles on the big club? No? Am I wrong?

No you're right, every time we have an inury or a guy missing time, we should pull the trigger on a trade or aquire unwanted contracts through the waiver-wire. We should have 30 goal-scorers and top pair d-man who are healthy scratches every night incase a regular can't go. Are you listening Ottawa? You're doing it wrong.

No one has ever been able to contribute from our AHL teams. Not Bieksa, Kesler, Hansen, Edler, Tanev, Burrows. And only Kesler from that list was a "sure-fire" NHL'er.

Yes. Nothing against the player, but this call-up really says a lot about the state of this team right now.

It has to be a couple game stop-gap while they try to figure out a trade or something to help rescue this season.

Mostly true, but it's a question of timing and readiness. Not sure Gordon is "NHL ready". Bringing up AHL prospects before they are ready because they club doesn't have enough NHLers isn't depth, it's desperation. In the case of the last couple, mid-late 20's and still in the AHL says something about them, no?

Well, he's played 300+ AHL games, and significant amount of AHL playoff games. He's 27. If he's ever going to be an NHL'er, he has enough experience in any situation that he should be able to fill a role. What he does with his opportunity we will see, but it's not like he's 19 years old and just played his first season of pro hockey.

If Gillis comes out and says he's no longer looking at trading a goalie for a top forward because they have Andrew Gordon I might see that as desperation, otherwise the only desperation is on the faces of some "fans".

Mostly true, but it's a question of timing and readiness. Not sure Gordon is "NHL ready". Bringing up AHL prospects before they are ready because they club doesn't have enough NHLers isn't depth, it's desperation. In the case of the last couple, mid-late 20's and still in the AHL says something about them, no?

I really have no opinion on this. Good luck Andrew!

How has archi been playing? Didnt he come in and start scoring a ton? Just curious how close he might be to a call up or if he is still playing well?... If we take another step back and get out muscled I'd like to see what he's got. Losing Kass Booth Kesler Tito is losing alot of your edge.

Except that he has played almost 40 NHL games already, the same number as Sestito, 35 more than Pinizzotto, 15 more than Schroeder and just 8 less than Kassian.

In fact it is probably BECAUSE he has some decent NHL experience that he is up ahead of Sweatt who I thought might have just pipped him.

You guys know that when someone says "inb4 why not [insert players name here]" that they're not actually advocating for that player to be called up right? They're pointing out that a bunch of homers are going to be whining and crying that their choice deserved a chance over the actual callup. Just checkin'.

PS I don't know why Gaunce didn't get the call. He's a stud and I want to see how he'll handle the NHL.

Sure, but no one is (or shouldn't be at least) expecting him to come in and replace Booth or Kassian. Like I said before, once you have 4-5 forwards injured in your roster, you can only hope to have someone to call up that isn't an NHL liability.

Archived