Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
275 replies to this topic

#1 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Saw multiple sources on Twitter speculating that Edler could get a game or two for his hit on Smith from tonight's game.... Brad Ziemer, Blake Price, and this from Puck Daddy:

Canucks’ Edler steamrolls Mike Smith behind Coyotes goal; supplemental discipline coming? (VIDEO)

Alex Edler is typically a pretty sleepy defender. The big Swede can be an incredible hitter when the mood strikes, but he doesn't engage this part of his game all that often, and he's never been the type to put the body into a goalie.
That is, until Thursday. Chasing a puck behind the Phoenix Coyotes goal, Edler came up against netminder Mike Smith. Then he bowled him the heck over.
Smith finished the period, but he wasn't back in the Coyotes' net for the third period. Jason LaBarbera took over for the rest of the game.
As for Edler, since you're not allowed to do this, he was handed a five-minute major for charging. But will that be all, or will the Department of Player Safety tack on a little more?
It's been awhile since we saw a player suspended for contact with a goalie. There was Andrew Shaw on Mike Smith, who appears to be a magnet for player contact -- perhaps because he plays a lot of pucks -- and that earned a 3-gamer. That was a special one, as Shaw's intent was clear.
The last regular-season suspension was Jordin Tootoo's hit on Ryan Miller, which earned him a two-game ban. But that suspension came on the heels of Milan Lucic's even bigger hit on Ryan Miller, which earned no supplemental discipline at all.
You'll recall that the Lucic/Miller controversy led to a large debate over whether it was "open season" on goaltenders, and whether a goaltender was "fair game" when he came out from his crease to play a puck.
On that last point, the NHL is perfectly clear in the rulebook:

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

Clearly, the officials didn't believe Edler made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact, which is why he got the major penalty.
But it's highly likely that Edler's five-minute major is as far as the punishment goes. Tootoo's suspension came because he left his feet for a head hit in the crease. In Edler's case, it was outside the blue paint, he was after a puck, and he didn't leave his feet.
I've seen arguments that he did, but a close look suggests that this is one of those instances where his skates came off the ice because of the contact, and not prior to it. Edler stood up, either with an intent towards getting past Smith or to brace himself for contact, but you can see fairly clearly on the replay that he doesn't do any of the sort of elevation that gets guys suspended.
That leaves this incident more in line with the Lucic hit that wasn't suspended: Penalty on the ice, goalie hurt, Shanahan saying the on-ice punishment covered it anyway.
“The minor penalty called on the ice was the correct call,” Shanahan said of that one, “And, while it’s unfortunate that Miller was hurt, I saw nothing egregious about this hit that would elevate it to supplemental discipline.”
I wouldn't be surprised to hear Shanahan echoing this explanation in the coming days.
I do expect Edler to get a hearing, however, just as Lucic did, because there's also a question of whether this hit was premeditated. It was the second time on the night that Smith had been involved in a collision with a Canuck. Earlier, Daniel Sedin had been taken down and slid into Smith, and in an effort to protect himself, Smith raised his glove and wound up punching Daniel right in the nose. Daniel left the ice bleeding.
Edler will be given a chance to explain himself. If the Department of Player Safety doesn't like what he has to say, or if they determine Edler was responding to the previous collision, that could certainly influence a decision on a suspension.

http://sports.yahoo....20655--nhl.html

I don't think it should be suspendable, the major penalty was more than enough. Edler's not an aggressive player either, although he didn't make much of an attempt to get out of Smith's way, there was really nowhere else for him to go. Thoughts?

abl8vt.jpg

#2 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

I don't think he should, but I bet he'll get a game.

dontforgettolentil.png

#3 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Smith flops like no other

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#4 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

5 minute penalty was enough

#5 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

But its the canucks. I'm sure they'll squeeze a game or two. Unfair but I wouldnt be surprised.
Posted Image

#6 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

He made an effort to poke the puck, so in my mind I don't think he deserves one, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got a game.

RIP LB RR PD

#7 GoodVibrations

GoodVibrations

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

I wouldn't be too shocked if he gets a game or two. If that happened to Lu or Cory, I'd be pretty pissed if the guy didn't get some sort of discipline. Then again, I was pissed when Lucic didn't get suspended for his hit on Miller. I predict Shanny's Wheel of Justice will be getting a spin though.

#8 y0shi

y0shi

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVPuIvuP6O8

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ame=nhl-coyotes

Look familiar? Shaw got 3.

And Lupul got 2 games for his hit on Hedman a couple days ago, so...

I'm guessing, yes he will be suspended, probably for 2 or 3.

Edited by y0shi, 21 March 2013 - 10:57 PM.

CDCGML Posted Image - Tampa Bay Lightning

#9 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

I don't think he should, but I bet he'll get a game.

This. I wouldn't put it past the NHL to give him more than one game

23NCfNh.png

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome sig

#10 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Since Edler is a Canuck he'll get suspended.... but I don't even think that hit deserved 5 mins let alone a suspension.

29mln9e.jpg

CHOCOLATE RAIN, YOU GUYS! CHOCOLATE RAIN!

Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

#11 French Toast Mafia

French Toast Mafia

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

You never know with the NHL. Spin the suspension wheel, what number it lands on nobody knows!

#12 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Lucic got nothing.

zackass.png

#13 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hopefully not, but this is a Canuck so most likely.
Posted Image

#14 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

He shouldn't be suspend but with how the NHL does it, I have no idea...

#15 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,692 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Since Edler is a Canuck he'll get suspended.... but I don't even think that hit deserved 5 mins let alone a suspension.

I hate when fans try to make things out like this... How is it that he'll get suspended just because he's a Canuck?? Sure Hansen was suspended for a questionable hit that could be argued either way but other than Rome and Bitz' obvious suspensions (Clifford and Smith Pelley) not a single Canuck was suspended last year.

Players don't get suspended just because they are Canucks.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#16 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

God I hope so, anything to get him off the ice for a while.

#17 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

He shouldn't get anything. If every goalie played like Smith there will be no forwards left to play because they all would be suspended

sees someone dump it in then stands in front of a guy so they can't stop. See shaw, Kane and now Edler. Maybe he'll learn not to play the puck when someone is coming full speed. Just look at kane hitting him. Smith sees Kane then runs to the puck and then dives when Kane touches him. Its ridiculous

#18 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I don't know, but Drew Doughty is a whiner.

#19 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Tough call, Edler went after Smith pretty hard there. Then again Lucic got nothing so...

It's actually kinda nice to see Edler playing with a bit more of an edge, he always seems to play better when he's aggressive and physical. Hopefully he keeps it up but takes it out on skaters instead of goalies.

Edited by etsen3, 21 March 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#20 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVPuIvuP6O8

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ame=nhl-coyotes

Look familiar? Shaw got 3.

And Lupul got 2 games for his hit on Hedman a couple days ago, so...

I'm guessing, yes he will be suspended, probably for 2 or 3.

Um, I think you need to rewatch the Edler hit on Smith again. The intent of the hit wasn't even close to the same nor was it to the head like Shaw's hit was.
In either case I've always hated that untouchable rule for Goalies. You want to play the puck behind the net and not get hit, then get the hell out of the way, otherwise brace yourself and take it like everyone else has to.

#21 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Um, I think you need to rewatch the Edler hit on Smith again. The intent of the hit wasn't even close to the same nor was it to the head like Shaw's hit was.
In either case I've always hated that untouchable rule for Goalies. You want to play the puck behind the net and not get hit, then get the hell out of the way, otherwise brace yourself and take it like everyone else has to.

he's just showing simulates, Edler is less harsh than that one but there are similar, I didn't think Hansen would get suspended as there was no intent but the NHL thought different, all we know is the NHL is unpredictable with suspensions, as I thought Keith's hit on Danny last year was way worse than 5 games.

#22 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,363 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

C'mon Nuck fans, that should easily be worthy of a game or 2. I don't want him to, but it's almost certain he will.

It's not like these suspensions teach the players anything anyway. Not when bruins get to do whatever they want.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

small.png CDC Puck - New York Rangers

#23 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,955 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

That would suck. Total NHL fail.

#24 John Tortorella

John Tortorella

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Goalie was injured on sedin contact not edler. I say its about time we play like as*holes. Rest of league thinks we are so lets be
"Oh, and torts is an amazing coach, a father figure type
Ex: yells at you motivates you, but tells you you're amazing and keep it up when you succeed, not AV, the guy that barely talked to his players
Torts will destroy the media hype and all the pressure they put on the players" Shredder 09:23 PM Friday July 5th

#25 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Phoenix will certainly lobby for it. Maybe this is a bit "tinfoil hat-y" of me but when I saw Labarbera come out for the third, my first thoughts were that Smith was probably just fine but was being kept out as part of the Coyote's PR efforts. We'll see what happens and maybe Smith is indeed injured but I wouldn't be surprised to see whatever injury he has end up magically healed following the NHL's decision on Edler.

We'll see what happens...

Hopefully, the league will determine that the punishment on the ice (major penalty) was sufficient for the infraction and supplemental discipline is unwarranted.

I hate that my thoughts immediately go towards trumped-up "injuries" and a full-court PR press of suspension lobbying but it's happened too many times to count already (involving numerous teams around the NHL--definitely not an anti-Canucks conspiracy) where the player injured in a suspension case makes a remarkable recovery following the decision (and the severity of the suspension is effected by the perceived injury).

#26 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Smith is a notorious diver on these sort of plays. Edlers gotta slow up on that one tho. My guess is elder gets 1 game Looch on miller was savage tho and he got nothing... spin the wheel is right.

#27 forever_hope

forever_hope

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

I think Edler was trying to poke the puck through and slip past.. but he is still responsible for hitting Smith.

I don't like it my guess is he'll probably get a game.. more likely two which honestly, isn't such a bad thing if he can use this time to revamp his game.
Posted Image

#28 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Smith should have got two minutes for interference .. what a joke .. I mean .. REALLY?? .. :ph34r:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#29 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Smith is a notorious diver on these sort of plays. Edlers gotta slow up on that one tho. My guess is elder gets 1 game Looch on miller was savage tho and he got nothing... spin the wheel is right.

Ya. but "Looch is a Dooch", so he is marketable as a "cro-magnon throwback" .. and the freak show continues ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#30 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,624 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

I wouldn't be too shocked if he gets a game or two. If that happened to Lu or Cory, I'd be pretty pissed if the guy didn't get some sort of discipline. Then again, I was pissed when Lucic didn't get suspended for his hit on Miller. I predict Shanny's Wheel of Justice will be getting a spin though.

If it happened to Lu or Cory, they wouldn't have flopped around like a fish out of water, so it wouldn't have looked so bad.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.