The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

I called the Rick Nash decision before it was handed down. A start player on a big American hockey team, the NHL won't do squat. I watched the clip and Nash definitely went after the players head. You can see on the replay Nash was targeting the other players head. The NHL lis a joke.

So Mike Smith (6'4" 215 lbs) comes out of the net and plays the puck. Edler comes in trying to poke at the puck while trying to squeeze between Smith and the boards. Smith tries to protect the puck by leaning towards the boards and basically pinches Edler off from being able to skate between him and the boards. Contact is made and Smith goes down like he has been shot and flops around like he is dying. First of all...a five minute major is ridiculous. At best a 2 minute minor and, as mentioned already, maybe an interference call on Smith. Secondly...a two game suspension for that is nuts. So all a goalie has to do is skate out of the net, interfere with a player trying to play the puck, flop around like a fish out of water, and that player is tossed for a couple of games...wow!!!

So Mike Smith (6'4" 215 lbs) comes out of the net and plays the puck. Edler comes in trying to poke at the puck while trying to squeeze between Smith and the boards. Smith tries to protect the puck by leaning towards the boards and basically pinches Edler off from being able to skate between him and the boards. Contact is made and Smith goes down like he has been shot and flops around like he is dying. First of all...a five minute major is ridiculous. At best a 2 minute minor and, as mentioned already, maybe an interference call on Smith. Secondly...a two game suspension for that is nuts. So all a goalie has to do is skate out of the net, interfere with a player trying to play the puck, flop around like a fish out of water, and that player is tossed for a couple of games...wow!!!

What a load of fish guts. How is the Nash hit not punished with a clear shot to the back of the head of a player not even facing the same direction, but Edler gets two for accidentally rubbing out the goalie? If Edler gets two, Nash deserves at least 4. How is this any better than the bullcrap decisions a few years back that Shanahan was supposed to fix.

I guess the fix is in. The jersey you where really affects the boardroom politics behind the game and these calls.

I know that sometimes people say, we Canucks fans have an inclination for the conspiratorial sort of worldview, maybe we're a little bit paranoid or nutty living out here way out on the coast. But somebody's gotta say it, Edler's gonna miss games against the Kings and the Avs, as announced by the completely impartial and objective Rob Blake, who never was associated with any of those teams. If it was a real legal thing he would have recused hisself. Not to mention the fact that it is the desperate, struggling Phoenix Coyotes on whose behalf the decision comes down. I'm not implying anything here, just stating facts, the only thing here that's nonfactual is the sarcasm regarding Blake's potential non-association with certain franchises.

"A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

Addendum in invisible ink: "Unless the offender plays for Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, or New York Rangers - or is named Nash... and especially not if the player is named Lucic, Marchand, or Chara, or Byfuglien (unless he changes teams)."

What a joke I would have expected a fine or one game but 2 is to harsh. And watching that Nash hit in slow mo I don't see how its possible that wasn't suspendable. Nash raised up and went elbow first to the base of kopeckis neck from behind. I sincerely hope he is ok that could have been career ending. If it was Burr he would have gotten 3-4 games at least.

The Bruins get away with total horse sh** hockey...no surprise there.

... I have a feeling the NHL gave Edler the suspension because of how the game played out. You have to disect the 5 minutes prior to the hit.

Minutes earlier you can find a Phoenix player trying to take off Hanks head in a dirty play that could have seen us yet another player short (our best player)

Because Hank spun around at the last moment and was NOT injured, it's my guess that Edler took a run at one of their integral players to send a message.

Edler hasn't been suspended in 7 years. Because it does look intentional I think there was more reason for the hit than the media will care to explain, or that the Canucks will be willing to admit.

As far as I'm concerned, Ed deserved it.

No way can you take Nash out. Rangers cant win games with out him, they struggle with him in line up. He didn't make contact to the head though. but the hit was more reckless then Edler's. Rangers have to make playoffs in NHL's mind.

I am pissed off when it comes to this suspension. wake the f**k up shanny. the person you should be calling is Smith. Simply to say, you put yourself in that position, no way is it anyones fault you got run over, but your own. You wanna wander out of your net on a play thats already gained the zone, you better be ready to get ran over. makes me laugh to here Shanny say he did nothing, to try and avoid the contact, yet he know Edler wasn't being malicious. what a joke statement. he obviously had nowhere else to go, what was he suppose to do in that situation, other then try and squeeze by along the boards. Its rediculously obvious he tried to make himself skinny. I hate bitchin, but thats just horse sh*t.

Archived