The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

Um, I think you need to rewatch the Edler hit on Smith again. The intent of the hit wasn't even close to the same nor was it to the head like Shaw's hit was.

In either case I've always hated that untouchable rule for Goalies. You want to play the puck behind the net and not get hit, then get the hell out of the way, otherwise brace yourself and take it like everyone else has to.

Phoenix will certainly lobby for it. Maybe this is a bit "tinfoil hat-y" of me but when I saw Labarbera come out for the third, my first thoughts were that Smith was probably just fine but was being kept out as part of the Coyote's PR efforts. We'll see what happens and maybe Smith is indeed injured but I wouldn't be surprised to see whatever injury he has end up magically healed following the NHL's decision on Edler.

We'll see what happens...

Hopefully, the league will determine that the punishment on the ice (major penalty) was sufficient for the infraction and supplemental discipline is unwarranted.

I hate that my thoughts immediately go towards trumped-up "injuries" and a full-court PR press of suspension lobbying but it's happened too many times to count already (involving numerous teams around the NHL--definitely not an anti-Canucks conspiracy) where the player injured in a suspension case makes a remarkable recovery following the decision (and the severity of the suspension is effected by the perceived injury).

I wouldn't be too shocked if he gets a game or two. If that happened to Lu or Cory, I'd be pretty pissed if the guy didn't get some sort of discipline. Then again, I was pissed when Lucic didn't get suspended for his hit on Miller. I predict Shanny's Wheel of Justice will be getting a spin though.

If it happened to Lu or Cory, they wouldn't have flopped around like a fish out of water, so it wouldn't have looked so bad.

Don't like the timing of this, with our fully-booked infirmary. But ... this is probably a rare chance to see what our PP can do w/o Edler.

Unless AV applies for some clemency and asks the NHL to allow Edler to get on the ice for PPs only. That would be a good day to consider seppuku. Just kidding (hopefully).

i don't know if anyone as mentioned this, but Edler was playing the puck.

he kicks it up with his skate. If Smith didn't bobble it, he probably wouldn't have hit him.

If he would have used his stick, it would have been on his backhand, and that would have left Edler in a vulnerable, unprotected position because with Edler playing the puck, contact with Smith was inevitable.

The goalie can't get in the way of a player playing the puck. Smith bobbled it and Edler kick it up like he would have had Smith not been there.

The major was fully deserved but anything more is just unfair. Smith knows he's blocking the and is basically expecting to be hit. His head even snapped back a half second AFTER the hit, while on the way down. He's a notorious flopper in these situations. As well, I don't know how he didn't end up with a roughing penalty after those punches to Edler.

That being said, Edler should have slowed down a bit though I'm sure he never meant to steamroll him.

Archived