Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
275 replies to this topic

#271 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

"A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

Addendum in invisible ink: "Unless the offender plays for Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, or New York Rangers - or is named Nash... and especially not if the player is named Lucic, Marchand, or Chara, or Byfuglien (unless he changes teams)."

#272 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

What a joke I would have expected a fine or one game but 2 is to harsh. And watching that Nash hit in slow mo I don't see how its possible that wasn't suspendable. Nash raised up and went elbow first to the base of kopeckis neck from behind. I sincerely hope he is ok that could have been career ending. If it was Burr he would have gotten 3-4 games at least.

Edited by honey badger36, 23 March 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#273 NucksFan69

NucksFan69

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Nash : superstar - no hearing

Lupol : good player - canadian team - suspension

Edler - rising star - canadain team - suspension
bias much?

#274 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

The Bruins get away with total horse sh** hockey...no surprise there.

... I have a feeling the NHL gave Edler the suspension because of how the game played out. You have to disect the 5 minutes prior to the hit.
Minutes earlier you can find a Phoenix player trying to take off Hanks head in a dirty play that could have seen us yet another player short (our best player)
Because Hank spun around at the last moment and was NOT injured, it's my guess that Edler took a run at one of their integral players to send a message.

Edler hasn't been suspended in 7 years. Because it does look intentional I think there was more reason for the hit than the media will care to explain, or that the Canucks will be willing to admit.

As far as I'm concerned, Ed deserved it.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

#275 TrogBurr24

TrogBurr24

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

No way can you take Nash out. Rangers cant win games with out him, they struggle with him in line up. He didn't make contact to the head though. but the hit was more reckless then Edler's. Rangers have to make playoffs in NHL's mind.

I am pissed off when it comes to this suspension. wake the f**k up shanny. the person you should be calling is Smith. Simply to say, you put yourself in that position, no way is it anyones fault you got run over, but your own. You wanna wander out of your net on a play thats already gained the zone, you better be ready to get ran over. makes me laugh to here Shanny say he did nothing, to try and avoid the contact, yet he know Edler wasn't being malicious. what a joke statement. he obviously had nowhere else to go, what was he suppose to do in that situation, other then try and squeeze by along the boards. Its rediculously obvious he tried to make himself skinny. I hate bitchin, but thats just horse sh*t.

Edited by TrogBurr24, 23 March 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#276 NuckleheadFan

NuckleheadFan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

what gets me frustrated is the inconsistency of the league's decisions. if there were consistency, then i can accept the decisions more readily cause there's at least a perception that all teams are on a level playingfield.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.