The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

Wasn't smith perhaps initially injured during the play Daniel got injured? I could see a hit helping it turn worse but I seriously doubt edler can be soley blamed for the injury. This is one of those times it should be the play not the result. I get that it's highly unlikely though.

I think the 5 minute major was a justifiable penalty given how hard Smith was hit.

However Smith had no business being behind that net on the play. First of all the Canucks are on the powerplay, secondly the puck is dumped in from the blue line, not centre, and finally smith didn't even leave then net until Edler was already at the bottom of the circle. Edler was skating full speed and really had no opportunity to stop, especially considering that smith took up the entire back of the net leaving Edler no where to go. I still don't understand why Smith would think its a good idea to leave the net in that situation given the Canucks having the extra man and are skating in hard on the forecheck.

It did look like he tried to 'stop' into him instead of run him over, maybe squeeze the boards a bit to avoid major contact. He also seems to glide instead of really pumping his feet and 'charging' him. But, I'm fine with the penalty. He made contact. It didn't work well. Suspended though? Come on... if Smith didn't get shot by that sniper it wouldn't have looked as bad. Minor penalty, goalie interference.

Not sure I agree with this statement, so he can now stop hitting with Sestito in the lineup? Not pretending anything, just something that is blatantly obvious, needs to play more like Kronwall, because he definitely doesn't have the talent of Lidstrom.

Actually, no. It doesn't look familiar. In the Shaw hit, Smith was playing a dumped in puck and, as goalies do all the time, he went to make a quick pass before getting back into the net. However, Shaw came up quickly from behind him and hit an unsuspecting Smith deliberately in the head without attempting to go for the puck.

In the Edler hit, the puck isn't dumped in. It was brought in and Smith knows the Canucks are in the zone and going for the puck. He even clearly sees Edler heading that way and chooses to go behind the net to play the puck anyway when Edler was already at the faceoff hash marks. When he was turned sideways, Edler might have had room to squeeze between the goalie and the boards, hopefully stealing the puck along the way. But, because Smith knows he's there he turns as he tries to pass the puck, resulting in the body contact with Edler. Despite what the commentators say, if you watch the video you can clearly see Edler's stick move towards the puck. He simply misses the bouncing puck which also wasn't under Smith's control either.

So to review: With the Shaw hit, Smith made a common goalie play, did not know a hit was coming, and was deliberately hit in the head. With the Elder hit, Smith made a Dman play, knew opposing players were in the zone and already in motion going for the puck, unintentionally contributed to the hit by turning towards Edler (making it impossible for him to squeeze along the boards), and was hit squarely in the body with minimal contact. No, they don't look anything alike to me.

Debating this topic on this board is pointless. Hardly anyone will see it as a suspension worthy hit and if Edler is suspended hardly anyone will agree with it. If the same thing happened to Schneider we would be calling for heads. It's like a dog chasing his tale.

I will say that if Edler is going to throw hits like that I don't think he should turtle up against the boards. Own the hit if you are going to throw it. Get up and throw punches or take the beating. Everyone gets mad at Keith because he avoids the aftermath but so does Edler there.

It's funny watching the two broadcasts for the announcers reactions and how opposite they are. I think for Shorthouse to actually think a Canuck player did something worthy of anything more than a minor he would pretty much have to decapitate someone and even then Shorthouse and Garret would probably find a way to blame the opposing player for not being able to keep their heads attached.

I think 5 minute major was reasonable based on the rules, although I don't see where else Edler could have gone. Even if he had attempted to stop, it may have even been a worse collision. It looked like his shoulder came up because he wanted to brace himself against the impending hit

As the article put forward, It should be treated much like the Lucic call was. No suspension. The major was enough. BUT I'd wouldn't be surprised if Boston once again is given preferential treatment and the double standard is applied to Vancouver and Elder gets suspended.

I was just reading the Yotes boards and all the fans there say it should not be a suspension... it was bad enough they called it a 5 min major and on top of it... their own fans are tired with Smith's play style...

Smith is notorious for throwing himself at incoming players and hes still not learning his lesson...

I was just reading the Yotes boards and all the fans there say it should not be a suspension... it was bad enough they called it a 5 min major and on top of it... their own fans are tired with Smith's play style...

Smith is notorious for throwing himself at incoming players and hes still not learning his lesson...

Looked like Edler tried to squeeze through between Smith and the boards If Edler had of cut inside he would have bumped him there as well and going too fast to stop. So is the trapezoid an extended crease where a player can't bump the goalie, I guess we are gonna find out ? Seems to me that a goalie has to take some bumps if they are gonna go there and play the puck.

Read my post...I was 20-30 feet away....saw it first hand...no attempt at avoidance....was he hurt in crash with Daniel? most likely but he would have played 3rd period if it were possible..Talk about talking out of your ass...check the mirror bonehead. I;m not anti Edler but it was an obvious intent to hit smith.

Read my post...I was 20-30 feet away....saw it first hand...no attempt at avoidance....was he hurt in crash with Daniel? most likely but he would have played 3rd period if it were possible..Talk about talking out of your ass...check the mirror bonehead. I;m not anti Edler but it was an obvious intent to hit smith.

Archived