The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

Saw multiple sources on Twitter speculating that Edler could get a game or two for his hit on Smith from tonight's game.... Brad Ziemer, Blake Price, and this from Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo....20655--nhl.html

I don't think it should be suspendable, the major penalty was more than enough. Edler's not an aggressive player either, although he didn't make much of an attempt to get out of Smith's way, there was really nowhere else for him to go. Thoughts?

mmm edler hit wasnt that bad, smith was behind the crease blocking him with his fat ass same as the shaw suspension he basically dived that time like he got shot wat a joke if edler gets suspended the league is a joke o wait it already is.

maybe edler being suspended is a good thing we might have a positive plus minus for a few games

I'm not even sure Edler sees him until the last second and by then it's too late. I absolutely hate the rule that goalies are untouchable. If they decide to leave the crease, they should be fair game to be hit. In this case, he goes to stop the puck in traffic and he's invincible? Such garbage.

Further, if they were fair game it would probably reduce Lu's and Scneid's time handling the puck, which is never a bad thing.

Did Lucic get a 2 minute penalty for his hit on Miller and nothing else? In that case the puck was long gone when Lucic ran Miller, whereas here Edler came pretty close to the puck and didn't follow through in his hit.

Shouldn't be suspended, but if Mike Smith is injured that will probably change things.

Archived