The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

Did Lucic get a 2 minute penalty for his hit on Miller and nothing else? In that case the puck was long gone when Lucic ran Miller, whereas here Edler came pretty close to the puck and didn't follow through in his hit.

Shouldn't be suspended, but if Mike Smith is injured that will probably change things.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418797

That's what I thought. I expect a fine.

Vancouver Canucks defeceman Alexander Edler has a phone hearing with the NHL's Department of Player Safety today regarding his charging major in Thursday's 2-1 win over the Phoenix Coyotes.

Edler was assessed a five-minute major for charging after running into Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith behind the net late in the second period.

Smith was injured on the play and finished the period but wasn't back in net for the third. He was replaced by Jason Labarbera.

I think Smith deserves a game for retaliation if Edler gets one. Smith always slides in super slow to play the puck and goes flying when contacted.

In this play Edler tries to squeeze to the boards to avoid it but cant as Smith is all ho-hum skating at a snail pace.

Edit: After watching again he may not be trying to avoid it but i dont think he expected Smith to turn back into him so he had no chance to avoid it.

The goalie rule needs a revamp as players like this can do whatever they want and get away knowing to other player will be punished.

Smith used his blocker on Danny earlier in the game without penalty. Of course the hockey gurus on NHL.com suggested Danny ran Smith and that Edler elbowed Smith in their collision. I had taken off my tin hat but put it back on after this.

I see Burrows continues to be fair game as he took a tough crosscheck without a penalty called.

I hate when fans try to make things out like this... How is it that he'll get suspended just because he's a Canuck?? Sure Hansen was suspended for a questionable hit that could be argued either way but other than Rome and Bitz' obvious suspensions (Clifford and Smith Pelley) not a single Canuck was suspended last year.

Players don't get suspended just because they are Canucks.

It will probably break down like this.. Edler was trying to play the puck but made no effort to stop. It resulted in an injury to smith. 2 games

They should take into account smith does this all the time but they won't. Watch the other one, can't remember who it is but it's not the shaw one, the one where its a knee to the back of the leg. Smith is hesitant and looks over and sees his player isn't going to get to the puck before the opposing player so me makes a last second dash for it knowing full well he's going to get run over.

Your not supposed to hit a goalie no matter what but he constantly puts himself in that position. To me it's like a defenseman playing the puck and then quickly turning his back on a guy coming in to hit him.

You can't make them fair game to hit because their equipment makes them defenseless but there has to be some onus on a goalie that plays the puck at Inopportune times and pretends he's been shot... IMO they should do it like a dman diving to poke the puck off a guys stick streaking in. As long as you guy the puck first before contact, it doesn't matter if you take his legs out. That would make it so mike smith can't go behind the net for 3 seconds whenever he feels like his team needs a 5 minute powerplay

Archived