The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

I think he is saying Sestito has also stopped hitting, that the Canucks are being coached not to hit. I can't remember when exactly, but didn't Shorty say that the Nucks were being outhit last night 24-4? This isn't isolated to last night game. It's a big problem in our organization, especially if they are being coached not to do it.

I would be pissed if someone hit one of our goalies like that and would hope our guys would have a strong response. So, I absolutely wasn't upset by the melee that ensued after. Good for Phoenix. That being said, though, I still think a 5-minute major was excessive. It was a 2-minute penalty. No way does it deserve even a fine, much less suspension. And if he gets one while Lucic got only a 2-minute minor and nothing more (meaning Edler has already been punished more than Lucic was for a far dirtier hit), the NHL will have to change its name to the National Hypocrite League, especially if they use the fact that Smith used his blocker as an (intentional or unintentional) weapon against Edler but not Smith himself.

I absolutely believe goalies need to be protected. However, I also believe the game has to be protected and you simply can not have a player who has all of the rights of all players but none of the responsibility or risks of other players. Goalies have to be able to do their job without worrying about protecting themselves from a hit, but that should not mean goalies can come out and hold the puck indefinitely behind the net, purposefully blocking off an opposing players' skating lane and access to the puck all the while being protected by a "no touch" rule unique to them alone. If that is allowed to stand I can guarantee you that it will lead to some seriously boring time killing hockey in the very near future. Ahead by a goal and need to kill the last 10 minutes of the game? Just give the puck to your goalie and let him stand with it behind the net, maybe moving it a little every now and then to keep it in "play." No one can go for the puck or touch him, so he can do whatever he wants for as long as he wants. That's not hockey!

Past precedent can't really be used in this situation though.

Andrew Shaw got suspended for hitting Smith at almost the same spot, and Lucic didn't get suspended for tackling Miller and giving him a concussion. There's nothing the NHL can look at and say, "we have to model it after this hit", because of all the inconsistent calls.

That's why I think they're going to Give Edler a game or two because it was obviously predatory and Edler is an evil person.

I think it may be suspension worthy (but hopefully it isn't). As others have mentioned, if it was Luongo or Schneider... Canucks fans would be singing a different tune.

It may have been intentional. Or not. And yes, Smith (all goalies) needs to avoid getting caught in that situation. But Edler makes no effort to avoid or lessen the impact of the hit. I don't think it was malicious. But I do think it was lazy.

It's totally uncharacteristic of Edler. I doubt we ever see him do it again regardless of a fine, suspension or whatever. However the rule is in place to protect the goalie. Players need to make the bigger effort to avoid hitting the goalies because the majority of the time goalies are all in a vulnerable position, holding ground and focused on the puck.

The only reason the 'hit' looked violent is because Smith drops like a sack of potatoes. You can really see Turco's mentoring in Smith's game...

So how is it charging:

Instead of interference?

It did look like he tried to 'stop' into him instead of run him over, maybe squeeze the boards a bit to avoid major contact. He also seems to glide instead of really pumping his feet and 'charging' him. But, I'm fine with the penalty. He made contact. It didn't work well. Suspended though? Come on... if Smith didn't get shot by that sniper it wouldn't have looked as bad. Minor penalty, goalie interference.

I disagree .. I do not believe he deserves a suspension for this . Nucks fan or not ..Edler has no prior history , and this goalie has a history of being part of plays like this .. for me . its not just about this one thing ... Its that since burrows chirped about Auger , we have been screwed in almost every way by the nhl, and refs. Its like a mafia ..

I think the reason you can't hit goalies outside the crease is to protect the team more than the goalies. If both goalies go down to injury, the team is screwed. If two defensemen get injured or two forwards, game goes on. A goalie can be the single biggest impact player on the ice.

Archived