The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis. Pros Cons what has he really done?

nitti999

MG in my mind gets wat too much credit. What has he really done. Re-sign the Sedins and Burrows. They would sign anyhow. Eerhoff deal was good at the time. What else? Trade all our prospects. Sign bad deals? He inheritated his team in my mind. And please don't comment brought to SC final. Like I said the team was inherited. His moves since have shown what we have on the ice now. AHL quality forwards. Time for a change Gillis your done

Can anyone essemble a list.?

MG in my mind gets wat too much credit. What has he really done. Re-sign the Sedins and Burrows. They would sign anyhow. Eerhoff deal was good at the time. What else? Trade all our prospects. Sign bad deals? He inheritated his team in my mind. And please don't comment brought to SC final. Like I said the team was inherited. His moves since have shown what we have on the ice now. AHL quality forwards. Time for a change Gillis your done

Do you mean assemble?

I'm not a big fan of his and agree with some of your points.

The biggest problem with MG is that he is weak at trades. Most GMs hate him for when he was ruthless player agent and wont deal with the guy. MG also promised to improve drafting players but has also failed in that regard.

He built the most skilled team the NHL has seen in about 3 or 4 decades which really should of won a Cup. It didn't, he learned from this mistake (hardly his fault) and is now adapting the Canucks to a team that is more likely to win a Cup in today's NHL - a bigger, stronger, more physical team.

Since being here here's the big moves that turns our small, fragile team into a physical playoff-ready force:

Lost Mitchell but obtained Hamhuis and Ballard.

Lost Ehrhoff and Salo but obtained Garrison, Vandermeer and Barker.

All up our defence has gone from a quite old, fragile one to a defence in it's prime who all play the game hard and battle. This doesn't show in the regular season, but that sort of defence wins cups in the playoffs.

Up front, lost Samuelsson, Grabner and Hodgson.

Obtained Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Kassian - all powerforwards that complement our skilled guys like the Sedins, Burrows and Raymond quite well. Cup winners have the perfect mix of skill, size and speed and MG has moulded this all-skill team into a much more balanced one akin to those teams that have hoisted the Cup.

While normally I'd make fun of your inability to spell, I was kind of interested in looking at this a bit as well.

Notable Net Losses:

• Grabner - Trade

• Mitchell - UFA

• Morrison - UFA

• Naslund - UFA

• Linden - Retired

• O'Brien - Trade for Parent (aka nothing)

• Shannon - Trade for nothing

• Pyatt - UFA

• 2010 1st rounder (Ballard)

• 2010 2nd (Bernier)

• 2009 3rd (Bernier)

• 2010 3rd (Alberts

• 2011 3rd (Higgins)

• 2012 4th (Pahlsson)

• misc 5th+ rounders

• Rypien(RIP)

• Bourdon(RIP)

• Mike Brown - Trade (for nothing)

• Hodgson - Trade

• Salo - UFA

• Ohlund - UFA

Notable Net Gain:

• Booth - Trade

• Garrison - FA

• Hamhuis - FA

• Tanev - College UFA

• Ballard - Trade

• Barker - FA

• Alberts - Trade

• Kassian - Trade

• Ebbett - FA

• Pinizotto - FA

• Higgins - Trade

• Lapierre - Trade

• Schroeder - Draft

• Weise - Waiver Claim

• Malhotra - UFA (thanks '-Trapped In CDC-')

Notable Draft Picks:

Cody Hodgson - 2008 1st

Yann Sauve - 2008 2nd

Jordan Schroeder - 2009 1st

Kevin Connauton - 2009 3rd

Joe Cannata - 2009 6th

Alex Friesen - 2010 6th

Nicklas Jensen - 2011 1st

Alexander Grenier - 2011 3rd

Frank Corrado - 2011 5th

Brendan Gaunce - 2012 1st

Alexandre Mallet - 2012 2nd

Ben Hutton - 2012 3rd

-----------------------

In the end we lost (bold aren't playing in NHL anymore):

• THREE top 4 D men (2 shut down and 1 two way) (1 not playing)

• A #5 or 6 big body D man

• A 2nd line center, 2nd line winger

• Two 3rd line wingers (1 not playing)

• Two 4th line wingers

• A depth forward

• An elite young defense prospect (1st rounder)

• An elite young center prospect (1st rounder)

• A top winger prospect (1st rounder)

• SIX picks 4th round or higher (excluding 3rd/4th picks received and then re-traded away)

in exchange we got:

• THREE top 4 two-way defensemen AND a prospect top 4 defenseman

• Two depth defensemen

• A 3rd line winger and a 2nd/3rd line winger

• Two 4th line centers, a 4th line winger

• 2 depth forwards

• An elite young power forward prospect

Plus:

• The core of our team re-signed to contracts that are manageable and stable.

• Stable management group, changes as Gillis saw fit

• A "no stone left unturned" ethos when it comes to supporting the players and giving them the best chance possible to win on the ice, with their preparation and planning off the ice

-------------

You can go through it transaction by transaction and see that he wins some undisputed-ly (e.g. Higgins/Lappy/Hamhuis/Samuelsson) and loses some (e.g. losing Grabner/1st/Bernier for Ballard). There were lots of transactions in the middle, as the team evolved and different things were tried (e.g. Sundin, Demitra) - but in the end, looking at what we had compared to where we are now as a result of the changes he's made is probably most important.

In general he's allowed our previous younger players grow into larger roles, and has surrounded them with better role players than in the past - with the exception of defense, which only has Bieksa/Edler from before Gillis. Still, both of these players were signed to deals to keep them here because they were identified as valuable to the future (v.s. Ohlund/Salo due to age, Mitchell due to potential concussion issues... even though he won a cup 2 years later)

*may have missed someone you think is notable. either its a mistake or i just didn't think it was a big enough deal, mike weaver!

I don't think he's hit a homerun with any player transactions, but I've always been impressed that he was able to sign Hart, Art Ross, and Selke winners for well below market value.

$19M/season for Kesler, Sedin, Sedin, and Burrows for the past few years. That's easily about $27M on the market. Gillis did a great job of signing that talented core, giving himself tonnes of room to round out the rest of the team. That's a big reason why this team has been so successful in recent years.

I'm one of the harshest GIllis critics I know but to the poster "gushybear" please do not include the tragic losses of Luc Bourdon and Rick Rypien as "notable net losses" during Gillis' tenure. Mike Gillis is not responsible for these as they were not hockey transactions or losses that he could have prevented.

I absolutely loathe many of the hockey moves Gillis had made over the course of the last five years but one thing I commend him for is creating a first class organization in terms of doing what's right for the players, fans, and community.

Gillis has not only created a mini-dynasty that has strongly contended for the Cup every year for the last handful of seasons, but has developed the Vancouver Canucks into a world-class organization. His tenure in Vancouver coincided with the new facilities, stadium improvements and so much more. The things MG has done for this team goes far beyond what we see on the ice and even off it - he has created a winning reputation in Vancouver similar to that of the Red Wings which is applaudable in itself.

Gillis has not only created a mini-dynasty that has strongly contended for the Cup every year for the last handful of seasons, but has developed the Vancouver Canucks into a world-class organization. His tenure in Vancouver coincided with the new facilities, stadium improvements and so much more. The things MG has done for this team goes far beyond what we see on the ice and even off it - he has created a winning reputation in Vancouver similar to that of the Red Wings which is applaudable in itself.

Did a decade change? I'm not always "up" with the times. It's still 10 years right?

Also Gushy that was a fantastic post. People get all emo on here and start hating on everything they can and pissing and moaning about the people doing a job they have no clue about. It's nice to see cold hard facts presented.

way too much credit being given to MG for "creating a first class org.'

I think this team has been 1st class for years and he has done a good job in keeping it that way. This is mainly in regards to community outreach and such.

Not a big fan of alot of his player transactions.

Hodgson

Sundin

almost any florida trade.

etc.

Archived