The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis. Pros Cons what has he really done?

nitti999

Honestly people many people on this board sometimes! A few small spelling mistakes, big deal. I posted this from my iPhone and did not proof it correctly and so many complaints. Did I not get my question across? I have been a member on this site for what ten years. So annoying it makes me want to stop posting

Apparently my post received much response, so go shove it if you have such a problem with my spelling. And BTW I have a degree in business and own and run two million dollar business's in Vancouver. Yourself ? I am taken seriously everyday with my bank account. Also a season ticket holder. Yourself?

Apparently my post received much response, so go shove it if you have such a problem with my spelling. And BTW I have a degree in business and own and run two million dollar business's in Vancouver. Yourself ? I am taken seriously everyday with my bank account. Also a season ticket holder. Yourself?

Gillis is really bad at trading, thats no secret. But out of all of Gillis shortcomings, what stands out the most is the horrible way he has mismanaged the LU situation....

I cannot imagine another GM in the league, would at the very least tie up so much cap space in a backup goalie, And despite the brave face create an uncomfortable situation that has affected the goalies play (numbers dont lie)

patience has its limits.

He also came into the season, with ebbett as his number 1 choice AHL callup, which makes the Luongo situation even more baffling..

the deciding factor should be the TO trade. IF toronto, in any capacity offered gillis KAdri for LU, and gillis rejected. That should get him fired.

Another prime sedin season might get wasted with gillis twiddling with his thumb, And "patiently" waiting for the right sucker to offer him 5 first round picks, a top 6 forward,prospects and a backup goalie for his aging backup goalie with an albatross contract.

MG in my mind gets wat too much credit. What has he really done. Re-sign the Sedins and Burrows. They would sign anyhow. Eerhoff deal was good at the time. What else? Trade all our prospects. Sign bad deals? He inheritated his team in my mind. And please don't comment brought to SC final. Like I said the team was inherited. His moves since have shown what we have on the ice now. AHL quality forwards. Time for a change Gillis your done

Can anyone essemble a list.?

Think after 5 years of being here it is fair that we have a discussion regarding MG. He has made a fair number of trades, most looking not so good. His drafting isnt stellar but we cant say hes the worst. I would have liked to have seen atleast of couple of guys make more of an impact on this roster through the draft, as other teams who draft low have been able to do that.

I think he has played this goalie situation out the wrong way. When he gave Schneider his deal that was the final straw, Yet he didnt complete a trade and now Schneids is always going to have that veteran former#1 goalie, vezina Candidate, Cup finalist net minder behind him. I would say that would have some impact on Cory. As if he were to have a bad game or 2 he is automatically on the bench and has sat twice already this season for 4 games straight. I dont believe thats the correct thing to do. Let Cory work on his game and improve, let him play after he has a not so good game or 2 show him you have faith in him.

I also didnt like how the team, from management to coaching dealt with Hodgsons injury. It may have not changed how he felt and that he wanted out from the team, but when the coach called out your best most talented prospect out infront of the media and saying he wasnt injured, I think that is bad management. I would never want that to happen to my best prospect and I would have talked to the coach and then came out publicly and stated that AV was wrong in saying what he did, and we are only looking for Cody to get back to 100% health and if he gets another opinion we stand behind him.

MG has lost more trades than he has won. I would hope he is active this deadline, yes the price may be higher to acquire certain players, but in all honestly we have a very good team and we need to try to win a CUP now and not worry so much about not wanting to add a certain pick/prospect or player to make a deal happen. Because, if it means we can win a cup with that addition, I will be a very happy Canuck fan and wont care about the cost of winning a cup.

I'd also like to see MG look at his coaching staff and evaluate it. If we dont have good success this post season I think that a coaching change is needed.

All in all, I havent given up on MG as a GM, But from now till the draft and early FA is going to be huge for him to determine how long he stays. Time to put your stamp on this team, and unfortunately that probably means your going to have to trade the elite goalie you inherited to try and improve your team, ideally before the deadline so we can try to get something to help us win now

He built the most skilled team the NHL has seen in about 3 or 4 decades which really should of won a Cup. It didn't, he learned from this mistake (hardly his fault) and is now adapting the Canucks to a team that is more likely to win a Cup in today's NHL - a bigger, stronger, more physical team.

Since being here here's the big moves that turns our small, fragile team into a physical playoff-ready force:

Lost Mitchell but obtained Hamhuis and Ballard.

Lost Ehrhoff and Salo but obtained Garrison, Vandermeer and Barker.

All up our defence has gone from a quite old, fragile one to a defence in it's prime who all play the game hard and battle. This doesn't show in the regular season, but that sort of defence wins cups in the playoffs.

Up front, lost Samuelsson, Grabner and Hodgson.

Obtained Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Kassian - all powerforwards that complement our skilled guys like the Sedins, Burrows and Raymond quite well. Cup winners have the perfect mix of skill, size and speed and MG has moulded this all-skill team into a much more balanced one akin to those teams that have hoisted the Cup.

MG has put together the best Canuck team of all-time and for that he deserves credit. As far as drafting we won't know for another 5 years how well he is doing.

An analysis after 5 yrs is a excellent topic for discussion.

* Financial - A.

Has signed core players to below market money allowing for best cap usage.

* Player Personnel - A

Has brought in quality complementary forwards Demitra, Sundin, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Lapierre and Booth for next to nothing. On defense Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Ballard, Garrison also for next to nothing.

* Staff - C+

I'm not even a AV fan but I do recognize the fact he is a good coach. Brown, Bowness, Melanson, Henning, Arniel etc seem to be doing a decent job as far as most can tell. Drafting is hard to tell at this point but Hodgson ( Kassian ), Schroeder, Tanev is a good start.

* Misc. - A

sleep doctor's, nutritionists, prospect development plans, community work and team culture.

* Results - B+

While the optimum goal has still not been obtained 2 Presidents Trophies and a game 7 Stanley Cup final are as close as it gets. If we can keep knocking on the door you like to think that we will get there sometime. Pending cap issues and goalie trade will be big moves coming soon that will help define MG's tenure.

I for one believe the job MG has done is excellent. The core of this teams ages will make the coming years extremely difficult to stay at the top but I think we're in good hands as Canuck fans.

<p>

<br />

While normally I&#39;d make fun of your inability to spell, I was kind of interested in looking at this a bit as well.<br />

<br />

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><strong>Notable Net Losses:</strong></span><ul class='bbc'><li>Grabner - Trade</li><li>Mitchell - UFA</li><li>Morrison - UFA</li><li>Naslund - UFA</li><li>Linden - Retired</li><li>O&#39;Brien - Trade for Parent (aka nothing)</li><li>Shannon - Trade for nothing</li><li>Pyatt - UFA</li><li>2010 1st rounder (Ballard)</li><li>2010 2nd (Bernier)</li><li>2009 3rd (Bernier)</li><li>2010 3rd (Alberts</li><li>2011 3rd (Higgins)</li><li>2012 4th (Pahlsson)</li><li>misc 5th+ rounders</li><li>Rypien(RIP)</li><li>Bourdon(RIP)</li><li>Mike Brown - Trade (for nothing)</li><li>Hodgson - Trade</li><li>Salo - UFA</li><li>Ohlund - UFA</li></ul><span style='font-size: 18px;'><strong>Notable Net Gain:</strong></span><br />

<ul class='bbc'><li>Booth - Trade</li><li>Garrison - FA</li><li>Hamhuis - FA</li><li>Tanev - College UFA</li><li>Ballard - Trade</li><li>Barker - FA</li><li>Alberts - Trade</li><li>Kassian - Trade</li><li>Ebbett - FA</li><li>Pinizotto - FA</li><li>Higgins - Trade</li><li>Lapierre - Trade</li><li>Schroeder - Draft</li><li>Weise - Waiver Claim</li><li>Malhotra - UFA (thanks &#39;-Trapped In CDC-&#39;)</li></ul>Notable Draft Picks:<br />

<br />

<strike>Cody Hodgson - 2008 1st</strike><br />

Yann Sauve - 2008 2nd<br />

Jordan Schroeder - 2009 1st<br />

Kevin Connauton - 2009 3rd<br />

Joe Cannata - 2009 6th<br />

Alex Friesen - 2010 6th<br />

Nicklas Jensen - 2011 1st<br />

Alexander Grenier - 2011 3rd<br />

Frank Corrado - 2011 5th<br />

Brendan Gaunce - 2012 1st<br />

Alexandre Mallet - 2012 2nd<br />

Ben Hutton - 2012 3rd<br />

<br />

-----------------------<br />

<br />

In the end we lost (bold aren&#39;t playing in NHL anymore):<ul class='bbc'><li>THREE top 4 D men (2 shut down and 1 two way) <strong>(1 not playing)</strong></li><li>A #5 or 6 big body D man</li><li><strong>A 2nd line center, 2nd line winger</strong></li><li>Two 3rd line wingers <strong>(1 not playing)</strong></li><li><strong>Two 4th line wingers</strong></li><li><strong>A depth forward</strong></li><li><strong>An elite young defense prospect (1st rounder)</strong></li><li>An elite young center prospect (1st rounder)</li><li>A top winger prospect (1st rounder)</li><li><span style='font-size: 24px;'>SIX </span>picks 4th round or higher (excluding 3rd/4th picks received and then re-traded away)</li></ul>in exchange we got:<ul class='bbc'><li>THREE top 4 two-way defensemen AND a prospect top 4 defenseman</li><li>Two depth defensemen</li><li>A 3rd line winger and a 2nd/3rd line winger</li><li>Two 4th line centers, a 4th line winger</li><li>2 depth forwards</li><li>An elite young power forward prospect</li></ul>Plus:<ul class='bbc'><li>The core of our team re-signed to contracts that are manageable and stable.</li><li>Stable management group, changes as Gillis saw fit</li><li>A &quot;no stone left unturned&quot; ethos when it comes to supporting the players and giving them the best chance possible to win on the ice, with their preparation and planning off the ice</li></ul>-------------<br />

<br />

You can go through it transaction by transaction and see that he wins some undisputed-ly (e.g. Higgins/Lappy/Hamhuis/Samuelsson) and loses some (e.g. losing Grabner/1st/Bernier for Ballard). There were lots of transactions in the middle, as the team evolved and different things were tried (e.g. Sundin, Demitra) - but in the end, looking at what we had compared to where we are now as a result of the changes he&#39;s made is probably most important.<br />

<br />

In general he&#39;s allowed our previous younger players grow into larger roles, and has surrounded them with better role players than in the past - with the exception of defense, which only has Bieksa/Edler from before Gillis. Still, both of these players were signed to deals to keep them here because they were identified as valuable to the future (v.s. Ohlund/Salo due to age, Mitchell due to potential concussion issues... even though he won a cup 2 years later)<br />

<br />

*may have missed someone you think is notable. either its a mistake or i just didn&#39;t think it was a big enough deal, mike weaver!<br />

• 1 month later...

Archived