Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nitti999

Mike Gillis. Pros Cons what has he really done?

Stop making threads please. First of all when any GM takes over a team he inherited the team. Is Higgins and Lapierre deals bad? Did he not sign Hamus? Go troll the Flames board, you would fit in there better.

Yeah but you have to go back two months. And then they lock the thread because you are bringing back old topics

The Canucks need an overhaul now. Ever since Gillis has been here all he has done is tinker with the line-up with the exception of the Cody Hodgson Zack Kassian trade.

Does anyone have faith that Gillis can pull off the big moves necessary to rejuvenate this franchise? His track record suggests he can't do it. According to him this team was just as good as the one that almost won the cup yet almost all his moves since that cup run have been failures.

The Canucks need a real hockey man in town to turn this franchise around. A guy like Brian Burke. Gillis has proven he is in over his head as GM.

I think he's done a pretty good job. over the pat 5 years, less then a handful of teams have performed as consistently as us. As a GM a trade might look on paper when the trade is done, but it might not look as good after. We can't see that happening and it's hard. Give him credit, as he's achieved by far more then any other Canuck gm in team history.

That being said this is a crucial summer for him. As the team he's built as gone 1-8 in the last 2 playoffs. I'm interested to see how he reacts to this years epic failure of all proportion. Then we judge his moves come september.

MG has put together the best Canuck team of all-time and for that he deserves credit. As far as drafting we won't know for another 5 years how well he is doing.

An analysis after 5 yrs is a excellent topic for discussion.

* Financial - A.

Has signed core players to below market money allowing for best cap usage.

* Player Personnel - A

Has brought in quality complementary forwards Demitra, Sundin, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Lapierre and Booth for next to nothing. On defense Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Ballard, Garrison also for next to nothing.

* Staff - C+

I'm not even a AV fan but I do recognize the fact he is a good coach. Brown, Bowness, Melanson, Henning, Arniel etc seem to be doing a decent job as far as most can tell. Drafting is hard to tell at this point but Hodgson ( Kassian ), Schroeder, Tanev is a good start.

* Misc. - A

sleep doctor's, nutritionists, prospect development plans, community work and team culture.

* Results - B+

While the optimum goal has still not been obtained 2 Presidents Trophies and a game 7 Stanley Cup final are as close as it gets. If we can keep knocking on the door you like to think that we will get there sometime. Pending cap issues and goalie trade will be big moves coming soon that will help define MG's tenure.

I for one believe the job MG has done is excellent. The core of this teams ages will make the coming years extremely difficult to stay at the top but I think we're in good hands as Canuck fans.

I think the problem is that Mike Gillis was a better agent than GM. He is approaching building this team with his head in the books.

On paper, with previous player stats etc.., this team SHOULD win. However, just 'cause stats say one thing, does not mean chemistry is there.

Seems to me that while the core of this team is the same (sedins, kesler, etc.), we have had some peripheral player changes (lost erhoff, salo, glass, torres and so on in favour of Roy, Sestito, Ebbett, and so on). It seemed like even when we ran out of gas against Boston, the guys really cared about eachother; had fun.

What I see today as a fan at the games, and on TV, is a group of players that make sense on paper, but in real life, don't gel well at all.

Gillis has to look up from the books and see that some heart & soul combined with crazy characters would work better than what he has assembled.

I think he's done a pretty good job. over the pat 5 years, less then a handful of teams have performed as consistently as us. As a GM a trade might look on paper when the trade is done, but it might not look as good after. We can't see that happening and it's hard. Give him credit, as he's achieved by far more then any other Canuck gm in team history.

That being said this is a crucial summer for him. As the team he's built as gone 1-8 in the last 2 playoffs. I'm interested to see how he reacts to this years epic failure of all proportion. Then we judge his moves come september.