40 replies to this topic

#31 How the west was won

How the west was won

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

What's the point of signing up for the forum? To discuss the Canucks and other hockey.

I don't go in the "Arm Chair GM" forum very often unless I want a laugh. (things like Booth for Ovie)

I disagree with the OP's opening statement that this isn't an "Arm Chair Gm thread - it is IMHO.

So...you would like to load up one line.

Have you ever coached?
I have.
Guess what happens when you don't balance your lines?
Maybe, your top line scores a couple - but guess what happens when they come off the ice? The other team outscores your top line and you lose.

I'm not putting down the OP - I'm putting down the idea.

Relax pal, it's not like he's actually making those the lines.

Have you ever thought that people come on to the armchair GM with a purpose to bounce off ideas as to figure out players worth and what type of players fit with other players?

There are a lot of hockey minds on here that don't just knee jerk insult/panic and that can be a useful tool for someone who is trying to learn more about the game.

Also, the GM doesn't make the lines, the coach does. But you should known that cause you've coached before.

#32 Pimp C

Pimp C

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

Why are people putting Kesler on the third line? Schroeder has one good game and people think hes Crosby or something. When Kesler is playing, HE IS OUR SECOND LINE CENTER.

#33 Pimp C

Pimp C

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

And this is how the lines should be:
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Sestito

Switch Sestito with Booth when he comes back.

If we get a real 3rd line C:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Goc/Z. Smith/Nielsen/Matthias - Hansen
Booth/Sestito/Weise-Schroeder-Lapierre (Lapierre takes the faceoffs)

#34 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

Why are people putting Kesler on the third line? Schroeder has one good game and people think hes Crosby or something. When Kesler is playing, HE IS OUR SECOND LINE CENTER.

kesler plays like a winger that takes faceoff at best.. he has absolutely 0 playmaking ability nor does he utilize his wingers to be effective as a offensive center.. if anything they should let kesler take the faceoff and then switch over to play the wing and let an actual center that can pass the puck to create space for him.

#35 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

kesler plays like a winger that takes faceoff at best.. he has absolutely 0 playmaking ability nor does he utilize his wingers to be effective as a offensive center.. if anything they should let kesler take the faceoff and then switch over to play the wing and let an actual center that can pass the puck to create space for him.

when your in the offensive zone doesn't matter who's center or on the wing. It's just on the break out that Schroeder might have more playmaking ability, but otherwize a playmaking winger on that line is fine. Plus Kesler can handle the big guys in front of the net, Schroeder can't, specially in the playoffs.

#36 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

Too soft of a second line. And someone needs to anchor that second line, which is usually Kesler. If we don't get a top 6 forward, I hope our lines are these when Kes is back:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinnizotto-Lapierre-Weise

When Booth comes back, I think he should be on the fourth.

Raymond and Hansen work best together. Kassian is not a first liner, second liner, or third liner, he might still become a fourth liner - but probably just a minor leaguer that the management is just too embarrassed to send down after trading a young, true, talented second line centre for him.

#37 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Raymond and Hansen work best together. Kassian is not a first liner, second liner, or third liner, he might still become a fourth liner - but probably just a minor leaguer that the management is just too embarrassed to send down after trading a young, true, talented second line centre for him.

You should really consider approaching the Canucks organization. I'm sure they would make room in the scouting department for someone with your astute player evaluation skills. Why are you selling yourself short by limiting your input to CDC?

Edited by riffraff, 23 March 2013 - 08:11 AM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#38 davydgoliath

davydgoliath

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

I fail to understand why people have such a fascination with proposing how the Canucks should layout their lines.
Seriously...it's mind boggling...what exactly are you hoping to accomplish?
Do you think MG/AV have nothing better to do and come on here to see what some people on CDC want and say yes, that's lineup we need!

In other words, it's pointless. A complete waste of time.

Holy Buzz-kill. Your cynicism is even more pointless in my opinion. People have opinions and want to bounce them off other people, that's why it's a "forum". Go enjoy the sunshine, just look up, you'll see it.

#39 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

This isn't really a armchair GM thread, just what do people think of this.

Sedin Sedin Kesler
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Booth Lapierre Burrows
Higgins Ebbett Kassian

We upgrade our 1st line into our power play set up. Our 2nd line becomes the speed/skill line we've missed since Raymond/Kesler/Sammuelson

Our 3rd line becomes the definition of hard fore checking while attempting to cause turn overs into break aways.

And the 4th line is the best we have.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Or

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Booth Kesler Kassian
Weise Lapierre Higgins

I'd rather have Kesler on the 2nd line to give us better depth. If we put Kesler with the Sedins we become too top-heavy. We can't rely on Schroeder's unit to score consistently against top lines, and Lapierre isn't a consistent scorer enough either. Kesler's also the best shutdown option we have as well.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#40 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Just a variation of a downright terrible idea that keeps being repeated on CDC.

Let's waste a guy with Kesler's faceoff and selke abilities on the wing, in order to prematurely use a rookie as a top 6C. Schroeder as a top 6 winger, ok, but move Kesler?

Second, he's not the kind of player you want with the Sedins anyhow - Burrows is - Burrows has the puck possession, cycling game and is the most intuitive player on the Canucks roster - he's a puck hound who also goes to the front of the net and can finish with regularity - the only way you upgrade on Burrows is find the identical player who is 20 lbs bigger without losing the quickness - in other words, non-existant.

Folks here keep wanting to turn rookies into top 6 centers - yes, Schroeder's game is more advanced the length of the ice than Hodgson's was, but he's still a rookie, still only 43% in the faceoff circle - the way that AV uses players is perfectly appropriate.

#41 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

It could work having Kes on the firstline, but fromtheway he's played so far, I would rather him center the thirdline
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.