The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baby shot in the head and killed after teen threatens mother in botched robbery attempt

schlaBAM

Seriously america? Y'all are f***ed.

And what do you know, another gun violence story!

I can't believe a teen would have the nerve to put a gun through a baby's head.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — A Georgia woman said Friday a teenager trying to rob her at gunpoint asked “Do you want me to kill your baby?” before he fatally shot her 13-month-old son in the head.

Sherry West wept while she told The Associated Press that she pleaded with the gunman and a younger accomplice who approached her Thursday morning while she walked near their home in coastal Brunswick.

“He asked me for money and I said I didn’t have it,” she said. “When you have a baby, you spend all your money on babies. They’re expensive. And he kept asking and I just said ‘I don’t have it.’ And he said, ‘Do you want me to kill your baby?’ And I said, ‘No, don’t kill my baby!’”

Police were combing school records and canvassing neighborhoods searching for the pair. While police have said the two boys were between the ages of 10 and 15, the mother says she believes the younger boy was as young as 5 years old.

She said the teen fired four shots, the first into the ground. West didn’t see a shell casing ejected, and said she assumed the gun wasn’t real.

Then he fired at her head and the bullet grazed her left ear — she has a small scab and bruising there. He fired again and shot her in the left leg above the knee. “I didn’t know I was hurt.”

“The boy proceeded to go around to the stroller and he shot my baby in the face,” she said. “And then he just shoved me when I started screaming and he ran down London Street with the little boy.”

Police spokesman Todd Rhodes gave few details about the investigation Friday, but said no weapon has been found and that investigators were checking school attendance records for leads.

Several people in the neighborhood called 911 after they heard the gunshots fired, but Rhodes said investigators believed that the mother was the only witness to what happened.

“Understand this: There is no clear motive right now,” he said.

He urged anyone with information to call Brunswick police. There is a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

The mother lives in a rented house in the city’s Old Town historic district. Beverly Anderson’s husband owns the property and she said West has lived there for six or seven years.

“We’re just very sorry about what happened and very aghast that something could happen in our little neighborhood,” Anderson said. “It’s a quiet, safe little neighborhood.”

Anderson said people walk up and down the street, children walk to school and families are frequently outdoors. “It’s scared everybody,” she said. “They don’t feel so safe outside.”

She said West stayed home to care for her baby, who was often spotted in his mother’s arms.

The mother's other son had been killed while trying to ambush some kid with a knife. All these kids have different last names. I feel a twinge for the baby's life cut short, but it is trash targeting other trash down there.

Did you read half of my post? Look at her history of raising kids, this isn't one of society's best here.

Besides, as far as I am concerned, with no witnesses, I hope police are putting some of their investigation on the mother herself.

I don't get why you think that just because the parent is bad that we shouldn't feel any more disgusted or less sympathetic, I mean really what other response did you think your first comment would get?

I have a 14 month old and the thought of someone shooting him in the face and extinguishing his spark of life makes me want to hug him just a little longer next time.

This is what happens when guns are everywhere.

Archived