The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baby shot in the head and killed after teen threatens mother in botched robbery attempt

schlaBAM

Those "gun in the home is more likely to be used on family member than intruder" studies are flawed and have been debunked because, among other things, they don't take onto account what happens the majority of the time where the intruder flees at the sight or even the possible presense of a gun.

Anyways, I don't want to blame any victims, but in a country where you've had the kind of issues the U.S. has had in the last 45 years, where you have lots of monsters who'll kill anybody for anything and ruin lives for nothing, you'd think a lot of folks would take better precautions

Here is a situation where it is nice for a normal citizen to have a gun handy. Who know what would have happened if he didn't have a gun.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/22/i-just-put-three-rounds-in-his-a-dramatic-911-call-captures-oklahoma-man-shooting-home-intruder-after-police-couldnt-arrive-fast-enough/

A dramatic 911 call recorded a Oklahoma man’s confrontation with an intruder who broke into his Ponca City home early Thursday morning. The homeowner ended up shooting the intruder several times when police didn’t arrive in time.

The roughly five minute 911 call begins frantically enough: “You better get these (expletive) here or they will die,” the man told a 911 dispatcher.

The homeowner stayed on the line with 911 as he waited for the police to arrive. However, the police didn’t arrive before the intruder found his way into the house.

“They’re beating on my front door right now,” he said.

“Okay, we’ve got them on the way,” the dispatcher replied.

“They better hurry up, because I will blow these (expletive) away.”

A short time later, the home intruder managed to gain entry into the home. It was at this point that the homeowner fired several shots at the suspect.

“I just put three rounds in his ass,” he informed the dispatcher.

Click here to listen to the 911 call.

Ponca City Police say the incident took place at around 4:30 a.m. Thursday. The intruder was transported to a nearby hospital by ambulance and then airlifted to another Tulsa hospital. His condition was unknown Friday and police have not identified the suspect.

“The case is under investigation. Ponca City Police say once they complete the investigation the case will be turned over to the DA,” KOKH-TV reports.

Can't help but think of that story recently of the hockey player who got too drunk and mistakenly broke into a home and wouldn't leave. When the media interviewed the husband after the incident, who wasn't home, he said over and over how lucky the guy was because he would have shot him. Makes you wonder how many defense shootings/killings are actually warranted.

Can't help but think of that story recently of the hockey player who got too drunk and mistakenly broke into a home and wouldn't leave. When the media interviewed the husband after the incident, who wasn't home, he said over and over how lucky the guy was because he would have shot him. Makes you wonder how many defense shootings/killings are actually warranted.

In Canada the law is clear - if you kill someone protecting your property without clear evidence that your life is in danger you can face charges.

And that has not changed even with the new self-defence provisions passed by the CPC as set out in this press release from the Office of the Prime Minister.

Use of Deadly Force

The use of deadly force is only permitted in very exceptional circumstances — for example, where it is necessary to protect a person from death or grievous bodily harm.
The courts have clearly stated that deadly force is never considered reasonable in defence of property alone. The legislative reforms currently being proposed do not make any change to the law relating to deadly force.
Courts will therefore continue to make any necessary changes on a case-by-case basis, developing the common law if and where appropriate.

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=3966

Canada is not the US of A where the Castle Doctrine rules in many states... thankfully.

I understand the laws. It's just so bizarre to me that the laws turn the tables on the innocent. Criminals are taking a chance when they decide to commit a crime. If they are killed in the process, well maybe they should not have been up to no good. Now, I'm not saying that all criminals should be shot. But if someone is stealing a car and the owner shoots and kills them, do you really feel that bad for the criminal? Yea the owner probably should not have shot him, but if I saw a story like that I'd have a hard time faulting the owner. Instead the owner would be facing charges because he killed someone who was stealing from him? Just doesn't make sense.

So since there is no caste doctrine in Canada. What are you supposed to do? Just hide and hope the intruder doesn't find you and hope the police arrive quickly? Or try to physically remove the intruder (without killing him) and just hope he doesn't kill you? Or maybe just run away and let him have his pick of what he wants?

I just want to know how home intrusion is dealt with in Canada? Are the courts usually lenient with the (protect a person from death or grievous bodily harm) or would you need a boat load of proof that your in danger?

I only live about 20 minutes from where this happened and it scares me to take my daughter to the park now. Pretty sad. This area has had a lot of problems on a number of issues and the cops just don't care. There have been black people bragging about killing white people for fun and they are still walking the streets.

There are numerous studies and informal questionaires of criminals that say that they fear armed citizens more than the police, and that certainly doesn't stop being the case in the home.

I myself have thwarted a robbery attempt and even a likely bear mauling just by presence of a gun, you just cannot discount the deterrent effect.

Yes I can as there are a number scientifically valid studies that show that self-defence against a criminal is an extremely rare occurrence in comparison to the chance that a firearm will injure or kill a family member, friend or acquaintance and is many times more likely to be used to escalate violence in an argument or domestic dispute.

There are numerous studies and informal questionaires of criminals that say that they fear armed citizens more than the police, and that certainly doesn't stop being the case in the home.

I myself have thwarted a robbery attempt and even a likely bear mauling just by presence of a gun, you just cannot discount the deterrent effect.

Archived