The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler Suspended

Strombone1

Smith didn't look to injured when he was tuning Edler in the head afterwards.

I knew this would be the outcome and I'm still choked. Now we have two potential game changing players on our team labeled as "repeat offenders." Hansen and Edler better not touch anyone in the post-season. Awesome.

Side note for those who keep referencing the Lucic/Miller incident. IIRC this was the hit that galvanized the league to take action against players who hit goaltenders, like we are seeing now.

I agree with the suspension, prob shoulda been 1 game. Let's not confuse Shanahan's insanely inconsistent discipline with the truth: Edler made a stupid play and injured their goalie. We'd expect a suspension too if it happened to one of our goalies.

I'm actually not terribly upset Edler is out of the lineup for a bit, his D-pay makes me cringe this season.  Maybe it'll give him time to reflect on his game a little bit.

I just don't get it. Lupul got two games for a blindside hit to the head. Is Shanahan saying this is somehow equivalent to that? Pair this with the lack of a hearing or suspension for Nash and you have the same antics as the old regime, favour your buddies (you know, Shanny's buddies on Broadway). Clearly only two things matter for supplemental discipline: 1. was there contact to the head? and 2. was there an injury? with the latter pulling more weight than the former, as that is the only reason these three decisions could be made. Watch Smith pull a Hossa and miraculously be perfectly fine, especially with how quickly he popped up and wanted to tear Edler's head off.

Let's see from Shanahan's POV (who btw has a history with the Canucks...):

- Is he a Canuck? = automatic +1 game (minimum)

- Does he have a history? No

- Was it unintentional? No

- Is it Boston/NYR/Chicago? No, no and no. = add another +1 game

Total = 2 games.

Simple.

Wow....this was an unintentional hit - careless yes - but it wasn't a Lucic type hit.  Edler hasn't been suspeneded before - no different than Hansen on Hossa.  Should have been 1 game.  Then again, how can us fans expect any consistency in the NHL?  Lupul 2, Nash 0, Edler 2.  I see a pattern...I guess if Sedin had done it, it would be 0...

Archived