The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler Suspended

Strombone1

The only way to send Smith the message is to take him out big time enxt opportunity .. if the NHL wants more goals scored, then treat a goalie like any other player if he goes outside his crease .. voila .. instant offense ..

Why are any of us surprised that the NHL in inconsistent? .. they are as bush league as when Gretzky was the "star" attraction ..

So the NHL says and I think it was Pierre McGuire that also said this but according to them on the Hansen suspension: "the injury doen't play a rule in the suspension". How so? Clearly in both the Hansen and Edler videos, they state that there was an INJURY as a key point, so ???? yes, injury does play a role, and it shouldn't....

good job nhl stay consistent like always if your going to suspend players make it so its even because their have been other goalies besides miller hit and walk away with nothing can't believe this i expected a game because the moron gm's wanted the goalies protected better well now they have it and its overkill

maybe goalies shouldn't be holding onto the puck for longer than they should move the puck and stop wasting time and you won't be hit simple as that

I think a fine would have been a better option. Shanny doesn't seem to remember that there is an option to fine people. I think he likes the power to suspend people. Power a bit gone to his head. It's times like these that I wish I lived in Europe so I could just watch leagues over there with consistency. When was the last time a fine was sent out? Other than a coach or gm one. I think all fans should have stayed with the boycott ideal that was so strong during the lockout. We boycott so we can see some consistency. (I'm dreaming I know.)

He makes himself totally vulnerable doing this. He's done it a few times that has resulted in him being run over. He KNOWS players are on the fore check after the puck that his behind his net. If the league is going to protect him when he does that then he's unstoppable. He can continue to do so and either force players to run him over or stop on a dime as you mentioned. Either way they're probably going to get slapped with a major, a suspension, or both.

No it wasn't. Even Shanahan never claimed that. It was a clean body hit only considered illegal, even according to the suspension video, because they didn't think Edler made an effort to avoid any contact with a goalie. Not head hit and not a hit that would have been illegal against any other player.

I think a fine would have been a better option. Shanny doesn't seem to remember that there is an option to fine people. I think he likes the power to suspend people. Power a bit gone to his head. It's times like these that I wish I lived in Europe so I could just watch leagues over there with consistency. When was the last time a fine was sent out? Other than a coach or gm one. I think all fans should have stayed with the boycott ideal that was so strong during the lockout. We boycott so we can see some consistency. (I'm dreaming I know.)

First of all those fines are pocket change to the guys making this kind of money. But I believe the NHL has the right idea of where to put the money, ie the Player's Emergency Assistance Fund (which if I'm not mistaken helps players who have suffered career ending injuries), although there are other charities deserve it more. This is something which the NHL should look into, say taking half the fine for that Player's Emergency Assistance Fund, and then send the other half to help out a local hospital/ charity in the city in which that player plays/ lives in.

Archived