The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler Suspended

Strombone1

Such a JOKE, Hansen got suspended for his tap on Hossa, same thing happened to Burrows a few games later and not even a penalty on the play.

Lupul gets suspended and Nash gets away with one

Lucic steamrolls Miller gets away with it, Edler gets 2 games. WTF is going ON? I don't care that Edler got suspended, its just that this league is SO inconsistent, no one knows what the call will be....and that uncertainty isn't going to change the way players play.

Such a JOKE, Hansen got suspended for his tap on Hossa, same thing happened to Burrows a few games later and not even a penalty on the play.

Lupul gets suspended and Nash gets away with one

Lucic steamrolls Miller gets away with it, Edler gets 2 games. WTF is going ON? I don't care that Edler got suspended, its just that this league is SO inconsistent, no one knows what the call will be....and that uncertainty isn't going to change the way players play.

I've seen the video a dozen or so times and it is obvious that if Smiths' head was hit it was only because he had his head down, despite knowing Edler was coming, and NOT because Edler did anything to target the head.

For proof, look at the screen captures below. You can clearly see Edler's arms are down. In fact, he doesn't even stand up straight until contact is made. Even then, you can see Edler leaning in more towards the boards, not into Smith.

edler1_zps1e2011c6.jpgedler2_zps9bc29e52.jpgedler3_zpse08730ec.jpg

Those are not the images of a deliberate head hit!

And despite the fact that Shanahan apparently gets a bonus every time he says "hit to the head" in one of those videos, no where does he say that in this one. Why? Because it wasn't! Given the fact that he was making the video to justify suspending Edler, I find it absolutely beyond all reasonable belief that Shanahan would not have said it was a head hit if it was.

Furthermore, if you pay careful attention to the video I believe it actually makes a good case for Edler attempting to avoid contact. A mere second before the contact Smith was standing in the center of the ice behind the net. Elder moves up against the boards, hoping to get behind the goalie. Despite knowing Edler is coming towards him Smith moved into Edler's lane, unintentionally initiating the contact.

edler4_zpse2b118e3.jpg

It was worth an on-ice minor for slight recklessness but nothing more. And giving Elder a 2-game suspension for it only proves the NHL owns a large bull farm and needed somewhere to put a steaming pile of byproduct.

Such a joke. Apparently charging is defined as making contact with a goalie outside their crease regardless of speed, intention or jumping. Goalies should not be untouchable, but not completely fair game either. If they are just plain in the way or try to shield the puck from fore-checkers, contact should be okay in my opinion. Edler tried to squeeze by, just made as much an effort as he has since the 2012 playoffs.

Oh well. Atleast now Ballard will get to play right? Edler's sloppyness has been getting on my nerves for some time now

It is just a shame that Rick Nash's intentional elbowing of the head of Kopecky requires not even a hearing while Edler is suspended for a much less dangerous hit. Could it be that the Rangers don't have to play according to the rules because Shanahan had played for New York himself? The NHL does not have a credibility.

It is just a shame that Rick Nash's intentional elbowing of the head of Kopecky requires not even a hearing while Edler is suspended for a much less dangerous hit. Could it be that the Rangers don't have to play according to the rules because Shanahan had played for New York himself? The NHL does not have a credibility.

Grrrrr angry. I do not think a charging penalty was the correct call. It was not a charge. How far before the hit does Shanny watch ?? The clip included with his "decision" is the split second prior to impact. I sure hope he doesnt' make his decision based on that.

Does he see that Edler was not targeting Smith, but was skating in that direction then Smith gets in the way and there is a collision, no way to avoid it. I do not agree with the suspension, but it also does not surprise me.

The league is a big joke. Shanahan is so inconsistent. .

What I take from Gillis' response is he is PO'd....and I don't blame him one bit. I would be very frustrated dealing with all this B *S

Archived