Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edler Suspended

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#91 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image

#92 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,240 posts

You know what I'm going to do??

Drink a case of Pilsner

Pilsner?..Shanny pull the wheel of jusice on you too.

#93 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

I think a fine would have been a better option. Shanny doesn't seem to remember that there is an option to fine people. I think he likes the power to suspend people. Power a bit gone to his head. It's times like these that I wish I lived in Europe so I could just watch leagues over there with consistency. When was the last time a fine was sent out? Other than a coach or gm one. I think all fans should have stayed with the boycott ideal that was so strong during the lockout. We boycott so we can see some consistency. (I'm dreaming I know.)

There was a fine on top of the suspension.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Edler will forfeit $35,135.14. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Edited by Milk Hot Dog, 22 March 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#94 Serendipity

Serendipity

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

I have a picture of when he hits him and it's a hit to the head. Look at the suspension video and stop it right when he does the hit, you will see it's to the head

Perhaps incidental contact with the head - but Edler does not target the head. And if he did - you can bet Shanahan would have brought it up in his video.

#95 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Ya I do, it's primary contact was the head
If that was Shane doan on Cort Schneider you guys would be saying 5 games

Yeah but Doan is a turd .. your point?

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#96 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yeah but Doan is a turd .. your point?

Okay if OEL did that hit you would be calling his head
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#97 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

First of all those fines are pocket change to the guys making this kind of money. But I believe the NHL has the right idea of where to put the money, ie the Player's Emergency Assistance Fund (which if I'm not mistaken helps players who have suffered career ending injuries), although there are other charities deserve it more. This is something which the NHL should look into, say taking half the fine for that Player's Emergency Assistance Fund, and then send the other half to help out a local hospital/ charity in the city in which that player plays/ lives in.

Edited by laxgoalie, 22 March 2013 - 06:54 PM.

6104d373-1a23-4efe-aa1c-cc63679010d4_zps716fa427-d766-42cf-a22d-90b1f8e9d39e_zps

#98 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

What's frustrating is we can't voice our frustrations with Shanahan's decisions so the NHL hears it.

He is very selective as to suspensions and who gets them

#99 LionofJudah

LionofJudah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Oh well... hmm. I'm speechless.
Sabali, Sabali, Sabali, yonkontê. Sabali, Sabali, Sabali, kiye. Ni kêra môgô.
Sabali - that's patience.

#100 Canucks17_33_22

Canucks17_33_22

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

I wonder if its vice versa that one of our goalies got ran over - would there still be a suspension?

#101 trollup

trollup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

If that hit is deammed to be a suspendable hit, then I have lost all respect for Shanny and this Whole joke of an inconsistant league. Shanny would have had his ass chewed out, for not hitting the goalie harder in his playing days. The refs wouldn't have even considered it a penalty. Sorry Canucks I will not be a part of this comedy club of a league anymore. No wonder cheerleading competitions are more popular in the USA, there is more contact allowed. The NHL will never be in the same class, as the NFL, NBA, or MLB until the clowns running this league figure it out. There is no consistancty with anything.
What's a penalty? No one knows anymore. The players are always looking back to see if a call has been made. How is one hit on a goalie suspendable and anouther not?
No Consistantcy. No Support

I'm done

#102 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

I wonder if its vice versa that one of our goalies got ran over - would there still be a suspension?

Well, if the exact same thing happened to one of our goalies, now, I would be hoping for a two game suspension.

Before? I would have said "What was our goalie doing behind the net with opposing players coming crashing in on him? Why did he put himself in such a vulnerable position?"

#103 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

what would be awesome is if the Canucks showed clips on the Jumbotron of Mike Smiths "collisions" before the next game the Ceyotes play in Vancouver. Then repeat one of them at every whistle.
Also get the "Make Some Noise" voice to yell "Watch Out Mike" every time he leaves his crease.
You know we would get fined but it would be worth it.

Failing that the Fans should chant the "watch Out Mike" next game

#104 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Completely ridiculous. I knew they would suspend him.

Zf3XIDB.png

Sig by: Samuel Påhlsson

#105 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Plus he tags on 'INJURY' like he always does for suspensions which is the dumbest thing ever. Suspend the act and the intent - not the outcome.

No one tagged on injury when Mason Raymond had his back broken.
Posted Image

#106 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

I agree with him getting suspended (should have one not two), but Shanahan is so inconsistent it's a joke. Lucic did the same damn thing and got off free.

Actually this is far worse and deserved nothing.

Lucic had plenty of space to avoid the contact. Smith on the other hand knew what was coming, and moved almost right up against the boards to draw the contact. You can tell by the way Edler "squeezed up" (I guess you would say) That he tried to get by Smith and bowl right through him.

This league continues to be a joke. If Edler gets 2 for this, Lucic should have got 4 or 5 and Nash should have gotten atleast 3.

zackass.png

#107 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

If this inconsistency persists, Shanahan should be replaced.

I'm getting sick of all the controversy in sports, not just in the NHL.

DSedin.jpg HSedin.jpg Todd.jpg Luongo.jpg Markus.jpg Kesler.jpg Burrows.jpg

#108 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,415 posts

whatever, maybe this will wake him up

perhaps

it's us vs them now.
Posted Image

#109 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

He should have hit him farther and he still would have gotten 2 games

#110 Jagr68

Jagr68

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

My opinion...

#111 LionofJudah

LionofJudah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm trying to see how I would feel if it were the other way around. I think I would have been yelling at my screen to just see one of our goalies start leaving the net with players coming in. But I dont know how I would feel if the hit happened. It's a on the fence thing. Edler was right in the area when Smith leaves his net and Edler does squeeze the boards but he does still make contact and if the shoe were on the other foot I might be a little mad. Then again would it just be"homer glasses"in that situation as well as this one. Tough call.
Sabali, Sabali, Sabali, yonkontê. Sabali, Sabali, Sabali, kiye. Ni kêra môgô.
Sabali - that's patience.

#112 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

And Nash gets nothing of course. -_-

canucks141.png

#113 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Edler deserved the suspension. But let me get this straight.... Lucic can run Miller, and its perfectly fine? Sure. Then there's the Nash incident last night, and there wasn't even a hearing. When you're 6 foot 4 and you jump I guess you aren't targeting the head.... Ok.... The Lupul gets suspended for 2 games, fair suspension but what about Nash? I wonder where Shanahans magical spinning wheel on what to do with suspensions is at.

yeh but I heard on the radio that the hit on miller the first time by lucic was a "first time" incident so shannahan let it go but it happened again by tootoo and that's when shananhan decided to send a message by giving him a 2 game suspension, the same as Edler.

#114 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

yeh but I heard on the radio that the hit on miller the first time by lucic was a "first time" incident so shannahan let it go but it happened again by tootoo and that's when shananhan decided to send a message by giving him a 2 game suspension, the same as Edler.

Lucic was not the first player to run a goalie. The Lucic vs Miller hit should have been the precedent setter but no surprise that Shanny let that one slide. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#115 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I couldn't believe he initially got 5 minutes, and I really can't believe that he got two games. Total victim of circumstance. I might have biased vision, but I saw Edler cruising through, unable to get around Smith, not wanting to necessarily stop in his tracks because he's a defenseman 200 feet from his own end, and tries squeezing by while making complete contact with Smith.

The sad part in all of this is that Edler now has a 'record'. The next time anything questionnable happens and gets reviewed, particularly in the playoffs, when Edler is known to drop the BOOM, they'll consider his 'record' in any decisions. LAME

Edited by Slegr, 22 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#116 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,969 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

I guess I can just use my post from the Edler suspendable? thread:

Honestly compared to the Shaw suspension, it's reasonable. Compared to the Nash no-penalty-no-suspension, it's ludicrous.

That's not in addition to, it's a part of having to miss games. You forfeit your salary from any games you miss as a part of the suspension which is what they're referencing versus any additional fine.

Edited by elvis15, 22 March 2013 - 07:21 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#117 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

WHERE IS THE CONSISTENCY?

WHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE?

#118 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

When will the league realize that Smith loves to come out like this and purposely throw himself in harms way, then dive when the contact is made.

We need to establish something otherwise this will open the door for goalies to draw penalties and suspensions like this.

zackass.png

#119 KeslerBEAST

KeslerBEAST

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

silly nhl

#120 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

This league is so inconsistent.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.