The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Martin St. Louis on the block?

Why in God's name do people want a $7 million dollar player to make Kesler effective on the 2knd line?

League MVP's and top line players are brought in to get top offensive billing, not tag opposing teams which is Kesler's primary role!

The only old player i want the Canucks to target is Jagr... St.Louis would've been great 2 years ago, but I really dont want an undersized fading former superstar to be the 'answer' for our scoring woes.

The Western conf is different from the open style game they play in the East, he will struggle here imo.

The only old player i want the Canucks to target is Jagr... St.Louis would've been great 2 years ago, but I really dont want an undersized fading former superstar to be the 'answer' for our scoring woes.

The Western conf is different from the open style game they play in the East, he will struggle here imo.

I would think Marty wants to remain in Tampa. It's the organization that gave him a home, and he's given a lot back to the franchise and community. I doubt Stevie Y would disrespect that.

BTW, Stamkos plays on a line with Conacher and Purcell. Marty plays with Tom Pyatt and Alex Killorn. St. Louis only plays with Stammer on the PP. So even if you were to take away all his PP points (which isn't fair, he'd be 1st unit PP on every team in the league but regardless) he'd still be just 2 points behind Henrik's team-leading 28 points. And that's playing on a line with Tom Pyatt and Alex Killorn.

Also he's a very well-rounded player who can kill penalties, and wouldn't look out of place on Kesler's line if they had to shutdown another line. Boy, sure does sound nice eh? Doubt he's leaving Tampa Bay though.

He's got 39 points in 31 games. I wish some of our older players would fade like that.

You can make the argument that he's playing with Stamkos, but you could also argue that Stamkos gets to play with a guy who gives him golden passes on a regular basis. Add to that Kesler and Stamkos have a similar style, especially in the offensive zone where both guys like that one timer from the left side.

Uhm; cuz Tampa is 3 points out of the league basement, 28th out of 30 teams in the standings and losing money?

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/standings.htm?season=20122013&type=CON

Young prospects, picks and $7 plus million off the books is a lot of resources to start rebuilding and St Louis has significant value.

I doubt it. Why would stevie Y trade him?

A big, fast 2knd line centre that scores 50 to 75 points, and shuts down teams key lines is most teams dream.

Too much fluff in thoughts that we only win if we make him more by trading for an all star to play with him. Kesler, aside from getting injured, does what we need of him. If our goal is secondary scoring who can shift from 2knd & 3rd lines; we look at Goc or Johanson or Mueller...

The point was; if get a player of the status of St Louis, Iginla, etc., they would be here to light it up with our premium offensive players > not our defensive ones...

who cares if someone has to be brought in to make Mesler better.......the fact is, it's true. Kesler needs a player better than he is to boost his play, otherwise he tries to do it all himself, and he's not that skilled.

I would trade for him in a heart beat. He is my favorite player and will be until he retires. This guy has it all; heart, skill, vision, speed, a stanley cup ring. Doubt he gets traded as he is the heart of the team, but if we managed to get him I strongly believe we would have another cup run.

My apologies; owed $11.5 mill for next season and the one after. It changes the answer not one bit.

The question was why does Tampa trade him; answer remains > because they are 28th out of 30 teams and not making money. If not winning, why have boat loads of money in Lecavalier, Stamkos and St Louis. Does this makes sense to you?

Lecavalier has a contract three times less attractive than Lou's so he's not moving, Stamkos is young and dynamic. That leaves Marty. St Louis is still electric and has significant value. So move his salary for futures and re-stock the cupboard for when they can win!

Got a better answer post it; don't just whinge please?

Where is everyone getting this $7 million?? Do your homework before posting numbers. A VERRRYYY respectable $5.625mil caphit

http://stats.nhlnumb...s/TBL?year=2013

Archived