4. Letang
5. Keith

Personally, my selection before the poll had been:

1. Chara
2. Keith
3. Weber
4. Doughty
5. Karlsson

Overall, we got to agree that Chara's Stanley Cup gives him an edge over Weber, otherwise little else would seperate them. Both have similar leadership qualities and play a similar game.

Vs. Keith, Weber more consistent and has more all-round ability thanks to his size, but I personally gave Keith the edge for winning the Cup.

Thanks again for voting guys.

#2 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Wheres Alex Pietrangelo????? Man this kid is so underrated.

2pzbeb6.jpg

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#3 SeaBass

SeaBass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Who would the next 5 be if you expanded the list to 10?
1. Chara
2. Weber
3. Karlsson
4. Letang
5. Keith
My guess...
6. Suter
7. Pietrangelo
8. Markov
9. Doughty
10. Subban

#4 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

Wheres Alex Pietrangelo????? Man this kid is so underrated.

He didn't get enough votes to crack top 5. Someday, he'll be there. Let him make an Olympic squad and win a Stanley Cup. He'll then be top 5.

#5 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

1. Chara
2. Weber
3. Karlsson
4. Letang
5. Keith
My guess...
6. Suter
7. Pietrangelo
8. Markov
9. Doughty
10. Subban

That depends on what people would vote for. Continue polling, or shall we just leave it at five?

#6 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

1. Chara
2. Weber
3. Karlsson
4. Letang
5. Keith
My guess...
6. Suter
7. Pietrangelo
8. Markov
9. Doughty
10. Subban

Is this now a general best d-man opinion or what actually happens right now?

I don't think Weber is no. 2 at this time and Suter should be higher up on that list, Pietrangelo as well. Karlsson would be #1 if he was playing, but can he be 3rd overall when not playing? Kris Letang has been probably the best d-man this year overall imo.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#7 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

Karlsson would have won the Norris if he wasn't injured. Almost double Chara's offence and his plus-minus was through the roof. Obviously not as physical as Chara, but he was an offensive machine and in today's NHL that's what wins Norris trophies.
Posted Image

#8 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

I don't think Weber is no. 2 at this time and Suter should be higher up on that list, Pietrangelo as well. Karlsson would be #1 if he was playing, but can he be 3rd overall when not playing? Kris Letang has been probably the best d-man this year overall imo.

that's the one problem with the Norris trophy... players win it based on their "name" rather than if they were the best d-man in the league. And it's hard to figure out who is the best when you consider there is 2 totally different types of d-men... the offensive and the "stay at home" defensive d-men. Personally, I think they should add an "Orr" trophy to go to the top scoring d-man and leave the norris to the defensive d-man.

I agree that Suter should be higher (at least this year.) But I will say that he has the benefit of playing next to a rookie that (so far) looks like the 2nd coming of Lidstrom (and the kid is 19 years old!)

#9 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,682 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'd say, the rookie has the benefit of playing with Suter.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#10 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

I agree that Suter should be higher (at least this year.) But I will say that he has the benefit of playing next to a rookie that (so far) looks like the 2nd coming of Lidstrom (and the kid is 19 years old!)

I'd say, the rookie has the benefit of playing with Suter.

I think they both benefitted from playing with each other, but rookies tend to get more out of playing with an elite player than the other way around. Anyways, Suter has done way better than I expected after leaving Nashville and Shea Weber. And even if not so easily comparable, Suter has imo played better without Weber than Weber without his Gary.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#11 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

having a cup ring shouldnt determine your placing.

Weber is better than Keith in my mind... miles better.

Keith plays on a stacked Chicago team that competes every year and Weber is pretty much the glue that holds Nashville together.

Without Keith, Chicago still makes the playoffs, without Weber Nashville is a bottom dweller.

I say:

Weber
Chara
Pietrangelo
Letang
Karlsson (some of you might think he is a little low but all around defenseman stats, and the way each of these stars play, i think its right. points dont mean everything with Dmen)

#12 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Weber is generally one of the most consistent blueliners in the league - a lot of blueliners have spiked during certain seasons, enter Karlsson and Doughty. Outplayed Weber, but only for one season. Doughty's Stanley Cup briefly had him above Weber in my books. Weber was consistent. Has yet to win a Cup, but already has gold in Olympics, WC, WJC, as well as Memorial Cup and President's Cup rings. He's sitting on a potential gold mine and can go farther.

#13 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

having a cup ring shouldnt determine your placing.

Weber is better than Keith in my mind... miles better.

Keith plays on a stacked Chicago team that competes every year and Weber is pretty much the glue that holds Nashville together.

Without Keith, Chicago still makes the playoffs, without Weber Nashville is a bottom dweller.

With his speed, intelligence, and two-way play, Keith is probably the closest thing to Bobby Orr the league has (either him or Drew Doughty). Regarded as one of the best shutdown blueliners in the game, Keith was key to their 2010 Stanley Cup. Sure they had Toews, Kane, Byfuglien, Hossa, etc, but Keith was the glue between the offense and defense. Made everything possible.

Put him on a team like the Blue Jackets. That team can instantly contend for the playoffs (which btw, they almost already are this season). Given time, they can build around him and eventually develop a respectable squad.

#14 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I think they both benefitted from playing with each other, but rookies tend to get more out of playing with an elite player than the other way around. Anyways, Suter has done way better than I expected after leaving Nashville and Shea Weber. And even if not so easily comparable, Suter has imo played better without Weber than Weber without his Gary.

I should have noted what I mean is that Suter is benefitting more from having JB next to him than Shea is having

#15 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

Letang

#16 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Okay, so it looks like the votes are all in:

1. Chara
2. Weber
3. Karlsson
4. Letang
5. Keith

Personally, my selection before the poll had been:

1. Chara
2. Keith
3. Weber
4. Doughty
5. Karlsson

Overall, we got to agree that Chara's Stanley Cup gives him an edge over Weber, otherwise little else would seperate them. Both have similar leadership qualities and play a similar game.

Vs. Keith, Weber more consistent and has more all-round ability thanks to his size, but I personally gave Keith the edge for winning the Cup.

Thanks again for voting guys.

I pretty much agree with your personal list, though currently I'd put Karlsson over Doughty. The idea of the list doesn't imply that the player has to currently be healthy, and unless Karlsson shows a consistency with being injured, I wouldn't change my mind on that. This list really is, who's the most valuable player to have, and for that reason I'd probably put Karlsson even higher.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.