4. Letang

5. Keith

Personally, my selection before the poll had been:

1. Chara

2. Keith

3. Weber

4. Doughty

5. Karlsson

Overall, we got to agree that Chara's Stanley Cup gives him an edge over Weber, otherwise little else would seperate them. Both have similar leadership qualities and play a similar game.

Vs. Keith, Weber more consistent and has more all-round ability thanks to his size, but I personally gave Keith the edge for winning the Cup.

Thanks again for voting guys.

Is this now a general best d-man opinion or what actually happens right now?

I don't think Weber is no. 2 at this time and Suter should be higher up on that list, Pietrangelo as well. Karlsson would be #1 if he was playing, but can he be 3rd overall when not playing? Kris Letang has been probably the best d-man this year overall imo.

I agree that Suter should be higher (at least this year.) But I will say that he has the benefit of playing next to a rookie that (so far) looks like the 2nd coming of Lidstrom (and the kid is 19 years old!)

having a cup ring shouldnt determine your placing.

Weber is better than Keith in my mind... miles better.

Keith plays on a stacked Chicago team that competes every year and Weber is pretty much the glue that holds Nashville together.

Without Keith, Chicago still makes the playoffs, without Weber Nashville is a bottom dweller.

I say:

Weber

Chara

Pietrangelo

Letang

Karlsson (some of you might think he is a little low but all around defenseman stats, and the way each of these stars play, i think its right. points dont mean everything with Dmen)

Is this now a general best d-man opinion or what actually happens right now?

I don't think Weber is no. 2 at this time and Suter should be higher up on that list, Pietrangelo as well. Karlsson would be #1 if he was playing, but can he be 3rd overall when not playing? Kris Letang has been probably the best d-man this year overall imo.

having a cup ring shouldnt determine your placing.

Weber is better than Keith in my mind... miles better.

Keith plays on a stacked Chicago team that competes every year and Weber is pretty much the glue that holds Nashville together.

Without Keith, Chicago still makes the playoffs, without Weber Nashville is a bottom dweller.

I think they both benefitted from playing with each other, but rookies tend to get more out of playing with an elite player than the other way around. Anyways, Suter has done way better than I expected after leaving Nashville and Shea Weber. And even if not so easily comparable, Suter has imo played better without Weber than Weber without his Gary.

Okay, so it looks like the votes are all in:

1. Chara

2. Weber

3. Karlsson

4. Letang

5. Keith

Personally, my selection before the poll had been:

1. Chara

2. Keith

3. Weber

4. Doughty

5. Karlsson

Overall, we got to agree that Chara's Stanley Cup gives him an edge over Weber, otherwise little else would seperate them. Both have similar leadership qualities and play a similar game.

Vs. Keith, Weber more consistent and has more all-round ability thanks to his size, but I personally gave Keith the edge for winning the Cup.

Thanks again for voting guys.

Archived