The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG will have to make some sneaky trades if he wants the Canucks to win a Cup this season. When you look back at Cup winners, the majority of them make a move that pays off big for them in the playoffs. Recchi and Richards/Carter are two great recent examples.

We have a unique opportunity where we can put Booth on LTIR so his cap doesn't count, and along with Malhotra that's 6-7 million off the books to play with. MG can throw around picks for an expensive player in that case, and come Game 1, both Booth (and maybe even Malhotra) can hit the ice and it won't affect our team.

Chicago blasted the NHL 3 years ago when they won this way - they were well over the cap come playoff time and they absolutely dominated the playoffs. Despite the fire sale at the end of the year, they had a cup. That was genius management by their GM.

We have a unique opportunity where we can put Booth on LTIR so his cap doesn't count, and along with Malhotra that's 6-7 million off the books to play with. MG can throw around picks for an expensive player in that case, and come Game 1, both Booth (and maybe even Malhotra) can hit the ice and it won't affect our team.

Also, there is no way Malhotra plays for us again, and players coming back might affect the team in chemistry, just as the player in trade could, and that's a little more disruptive in a compressed season like this with much less time between the deadline and the playoffs.

Could the Pen's trade be a smart ploy by the Pens to up the Market for stud pickups? If the Pen's trade makes sellers demand high prices, other Cup contenders will either have to overpay for them, or not acquire them. I doubt the Pens would trade one of their better prospects, but you never know...

I have been saying this all along.

this will be the slowest trade deadline in the history of any sport.

I cannot think of a more unfavourable environment for trading.

Some of the big UFA's might go

But

It is going to be hard for any team to give up a 1st this year with how deep the draft is.

I have been saying this all along.

this will be the slowest trade deadline in the history of any sport.

I cannot think of a more unfavourable environment for trading.

Some of the big UFA's might go

But

It is going to be hard for any team to give up a 1st this year with how deep the draft is.

Archived