The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumors] Canucks looking for minor deal

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/les-rumeurs-dans-la-lnh-1.601984

To sum it up :

The Canucks could be looking for short term solutions rather than a blockbuster deal or acquiring a high-profile player

The rumored candidates for the Canucks are Shawn Matthias, Jochen Hecth and Marty Reasoner

They say this strategy is base on the Canucks' cap problem for next year.

To me Matthias would be my only interesting player, yet also depend on the price.

If Gillis adressed the teams needs in the off-season we wouldnt be in this mess right now. This is typical of him, he will trade our 2nd or 3rd rounds picks for old rentals who has playoff experience and his favourite.. 'leadership' aka another Pahlsson...

If Gillis adressed the teams needs in the off-season we wouldnt be in this mess right now. This is typical of him, he will trade our 2nd or 3rd rounds picks for old rentals who has playoff experience and his favourite.. 'leadership' aka another Pahlsson...

Matthias would be nice - Florida would make a good small trade partner - lots of precedent, and they have a lot of C depth in their youth

I'd take Hecht off that list - weak in the faceoff circle, and add another Panther - Goc.

Reasoner would be ok, but would rather take Cizikas from the Isles.

I really dont want a pahlsson, 2 years ago trade deadline was great for us because we aquired speed,grit and determination in Lapierre and Higgins, last years dealine i did not understand the pahlsson deal and the Kassian deal could still work out, I think it would be nice to get a winger this year.

As for the off season, i see us trading LU and buying out either Booth or Ballard, we will probs sign Tanev to a 2 year deal worth basically nothing and I could see us inking Lapierre,Higgins,Raymond back as well

Yes, but if they acquire lets say a 2nd line player with 4M cap hit, are we still under the cap? I think that is what they re refering to, if we trade for a rental, he's off the book, he we traded for asigned player then we got a problem, specially with Burrow snew contract kicking in

Im not really concerned about next season. The time has come for the Canucks to follow the model of other teams and supplement their 3rd and fourth lines as well as the bottom d positions with young players on entry level contracts. Players in that 19-21 year old range that hopefully are ready to play are Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado, Connaughton and maybe this years first rounder if we get a taleted one.

I also presume Luongo will be gone and Lack would back up at a much reduced rate.

Archived