Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[PGT] Canucks 3 Avelanch 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#121 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

:picard: Wanting a trade in the coaching system has nothing to do with being a bandwagoner! Stop tossing this word out like it's someone else's salad.

You really think this team is managed well enough to win??? You don't think there's a problem with AV still?

If our team didn't have the injuries or suspensions, Schroeds would be on the Wolves or he'd be on the 4th line again... Ballard would be benched for lessor players.... PP would still suck.... Canucks would play defensively with a 1 or 2 goal lead.... There would still be no motivation... AV would still be mixing up the lines so no one has chemistry.... Kass would still be used as a grinder.... Sedins would still be getting abused.... None of the call ups would get a fair chance or they will be put in a position to fail.... AV would still be stubborn and not change his tactics... AV would still play favorites.... Schroeds, Hansen, Mayray would never see the light of day again.... Edler would still be getting mass minutes and a free ride..... etc.

Circumstances has given AV no other option, but to go against his personal wishes.... and you want to give him credit??? This isn't the first time it's happened either (Injuries forced AV to make the obvious choices and everyone praised him for these moves), but people like you think he's a genius??? :picard: If he would make these OBVIOUS adjustments with a healthy squad than we have a fighting chance in the Playoffs.... As soon as we get healthy again, watch the 'genius' revert back to being himself = counterproductive!!!

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a player on the Wolves that we can't call up to play in the bottom 6.... Ballard has been impressive, but we're better off with him on D.

Lets give the kids a taste of what it's like in the big league....maybe it will help motivate some of them?

That's not how it works lol AV doesn't call up players from the wolves it's the GM who makes that decision and then asks AV if he can fit that player somewhere in the lineup. And how can you base everything on the injuries, call-ups and so on. Can you prove that if we had no injuries and were healthy that we still wouldn't be winning? Probably can't and so I thought :)

#122 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

Now we see the team when we have a goalie playing well, but the team with average goaltending looks awful, and I won't forget that. We still need big improvements, before we plan on going far.

Raymond is going to cost us 3.5+ if he keeps this up, are you guys comfortable in giving that to him and having to play him on the 2nd line? I'm still critical of players coming off contract years.

Nice win though, keep it up boys!!! :towel:

I'm still critical of players coming off contract years. Or broken backs?

And by the way, don't you think there may be correlation between our D playing "more defensively" and our goalie getting wins?...........I know I do because I have pleaded for our D to concentrate more on defence for a couple of years.
Kevin.jpg

#123 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Or Jensen gets called up. Ballard has done a good job as a forward though, wouldn't mind seeing him there for a couple more games.

Have you watched a whole game even of Jensen on the Wolves............I have and he is not ready, so behave yourself.
Kevin.jpg

#124 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

Does anyone recall the skills contest when the players were shooting at the discs in the goal.................I watched Raymond wreck one after the other in short time and it occurred to me how I didn't recall that accuracy from him before.

Can it be that all the time we were all hoping he was building muscle and working out how to stay upright (joke) he was ACTUALLY working on his shot accuracy?

Food for thought. Anyway I'm glad he did because there would be no point Schroeder feeding through these sweet passes if Roadrunner (beep beep) was not going to finish them off. :frantic:
Kevin.jpg

#125 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

:picard: Wanting a trade in the coaching system has nothing to do with being a bandwagoner! Stop tossing this word out like it's someone else's salad.

You really think this team is managed well enough to win??? You don't think there's a problem with AV still?

If our team didn't have the injuries or suspensions, Schroeds would be on the Wolves or he'd be on the 4th line again... Ballard would be benched for lessor players.... PP would still suck.... Canucks would play defensively with a 1 or 2 goal lead.... There would still be no motivation... AV would still be mixing up the lines so no one has chemistry.... Kass would still be used as a grinder.... Sedins would still be getting abused.... None of the call ups would get a fair chance or they will be put in a position to fail.... AV would still be stubborn and not change his tactics... AV would still play favorites.... Schroeds, Hansen, Mayray would never see the light of day again.... Edler would still be getting mass minutes and a free ride..... etc.

Circumstances has given AV no other option, but to go against his personal wishes.... and you want to give him credit??? This isn't the first time it's happened either (Injuries forced AV to make the obvious choices and everyone praised him for these moves), but people like you think he's a genius??? :picard: If he would make these OBVIOUS adjustments with a healthy squad than we have a fighting chance in the Playoffs.... As soon as we get healthy again, watch the 'genius' revert back to being himself = counterproductive!!!

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a player on the Wolves that we can't call up to play in the bottom 6.... Ballard has been impressive, but we're better off with him on D.

Lets give the kids a taste of what it's like in the big league....maybe it will help motivate some of them?

I completely agree with this statement. I have ALWAYS said AV is not a bad coach, just not the right fit for this team.
Is there any wonder that now that we have a line up full of plugs like Gordon, Ebett and Ballard on the 3rd line, we are starting to over achieve?

MG built a skilled team to win with offence but AV's natural sweet spot for coaching is a grinding defensive game.
That is where he is worth full value as a coach.

Like the comment quoted, EVERYONE of us could see that Schroeder was being misused on the 4th line and put in a position to fail by playing with the likes of Sestito and Weise.

EVERYONE knew that he should at the very least be given a shot with Raymond and Hansen or anyone that actually has some hands.

Schroeder finally ended up on that line NOT because of AV's intelligence but his lack of options.

If the last 3 games prove anything, we should realize that to win a cup, we need to either

1) Find a coach that fits with the skilled roster we have

OR

2) Trade some of our skilled guys for guys like Talbot and Henrique and fully commit to AV's natural style of coaching and grind out a Stanley Cup old school NJ Devils style.

#126 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Really, the only thing noteworthy about this win - besides the fact it's another W in the win column - was the play of Schneider. He followed up his shutout yesterday with another great performance. The Schroeder line produced another goal but otherwise didn't have an out-of-this world game or anything.

On the flip side, the Sedin line and the bottom 6 were absolutely useless. It's frightening how the Sedins are not only just failing to put up points but struggling to create offense at all, on the powerplay and at even strength. They had a great first couple PP's but after that were total non-factors. I know I'm being pretty harsh on them lately but these are our TOP players. They're not babies. They're not rookies for whom there are no expectations. They're expected to lead this team on the ice and right now they're doing absolutely nothing to contribute so they deserve the heavy criticism they're getting from fans and the media. I really love these guys so for me it's extremely difficult to see them playing like this.

All in all, this was a good victory when you consider the circumstances but we have to keep in mind they just beat the last team in the West. There's still a ways to go before I personally start believing this team will make some noise in the playoffs. Even if they are capable, that will come down to health as well. Who knows when the Canucks will get Kesler back. One thing to watch will be what the Canucks do leading up to and at the trade deadline.

Canucks barely reached 40% on the FO's. This poor % seems to hurt the Twins more than any other players. Their puck possession game seems to be what makes them most effective. As much as they have tried to bring more physicality to their game it still requires a lot of work. Passing up the shot is almost reflex. What really disturbs me is their poor defensive play in the d-zone. I could understand why AV might have Hank taking a FO in the last minute but why not another C instead of Danny? Instead another scoring chance for Colorado.

#127 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I completely agree with this statement. I have ALWAYS said AV is not a bad coach, just not the right fit for this team.
Is there any wonder that now that we have a line up full of plugs like Gordon, Ebett and Ballard on the 3rd line, we are starting to over achieve?

MG built a skilled team to win with offence but AV's natural sweet spot for coaching is a grinding defensive game.
That is where he is worth full value as a coach.

Like the comment quoted, EVERYONE of us could see that Schroeder was being misused on the 4th line and put in a position to fail by playing with the likes of Sestito and Weise.

EVERYONE knew that he should at the very least be given a shot with Raymond and Hansen or anyone that actually has some hands.

Schroeder finally ended up on that line NOT because of AV's intelligence but his lack of options.

If the last 3 games prove anything, we should realize that to win a cup, we need to either

1) Find a coach that fits with the skilled roster we have

OR

2) Trade some of our skilled guys for guys like Talbot and Henrique and fully commit to AV's natural style of coaching and grind out a Stanley Cup old school NJ Devils style.

Maybe the first year AV was coach Van played a defensive game. It took 2 1/2 seasons for Van to get decent puck support in their d-zone. Van is in no way a decent defensive team at this time. Playoffs started tomorrow and they would be out the 1st round. I would qualify this comment by noting their poor FO's puts much added pressure on the d-coverage.

#128 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

The league is allowing clutch and grab on the Sedins and that's what's hurting their production
This is good for the Sedins in the long run because the problem we used to have was, there would be holding and hooking calls for those plays in the regular season and the Sedins would then make the opposition pay on the PP.
However once the playoffs start, the whistles were put away and the Sedins disappeared because of all the clutching and grabbing.
Now they can play a full season in a manner which will be consistent to the playoffs and they can adjust their play and think of a way to produce under similar conditions to the playoffs

#129 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Maybe the first year AV was coach Van played a defensive game. It took 2 1/2 seasons for Van to get decent puck support in their d-zone. Van is in no way a decent defensive team at this time. Playoffs started tomorrow and they would be out the 1st round. I would qualify this comment by noting their poor FO's puts much added pressure on the d-coverage.

Since the injuries to Booth, Kesler, Kassian, we have simplified our game and play more of a defensive game than previously so at this current time, I would say that they DO play a defensive game right now.
If Playoffs started now with all our injuries, yeah I would say we would be hard pressed to win but the only way to win with this current line up is by playing defensive hockey.

Thats not saying that wont change once we get all our players back and MG adds some more players at the deadline

#130 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I almost turned the game off when the Higgins call was made even though the Canucks were winning. I've been a Canucks fan for over 20 years, but starting to actually not enjoy watching the game of hockey itself. I don't see a reason to watch something that is fixed. It's like playing a game of Risk or Settlers of Catan against someone who doesn't care whether they win or lose. Boring.

#131 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Trade Luongo

But he didn't let in a goal.

#132 curtman81

curtman81

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

when a avalanche was moving his hockey rod real fast and wild at the few last seconds of a game my heart nearly attacked but then a bikesa fell hard on a ice and the avalanched stopped yes then the bell sounded loud and hard yes that was a real heart stop.

Master Yoda?? Is that you??

#133 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

AV looking like a genius.

Posted Image

What's that Ruff lovers!?

Posted Image

Bandwagoners need to be fired.

Bwaaaahaaaahaahahaha. Bandwagoners, right. Boi that's priceless. I don't like Vinny, does that make me a bandwagon fan??? Think about your answer.

#134 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

The league is allowing clutch and grab on the Sedins and that's what's hurting their production
This is good for the Sedins in the long run because the problem we used to have was, there would be holding and hooking calls for those plays in the regular season and the Sedins would then make the opposition pay on the PP.
However once the playoffs start, the whistles were put away and the Sedins disappeared because of all the clutching and grabbing.
Now they can play a full season in a manner which will be consistent to the playoffs and they can adjust their play and think of a way to produce under similar conditions to the playoffs

The problem is...they are not adjusting. Their effectiveness is suffering and they have no answere just like in the playoffs.

With all the injuries to the team and the difficulty the team has had scoiring, the Sedin line has been the only constant. These guys have played together their entire careers and are what teh team's offensive strategy is built around. Now is the time when they should be leading and carrying the team through these hard times but that is not the case. It is the new guys and younger role players that are stepping up. Tanev, Schroeder, Raymond and Hansen have been our best players by far.

I have a tremendous amoutn of respect for the Sedins as players and people but just like in theplayoffs, they seem to be neutralized when things get tight and tough.

They should have fed off that AVs team last night and yet, they were barely noticeable despite their 20 minutes of ice-time. The only thing noticeable was the change in momentum afterthey passed on an open net chance on teh PP and then gave up a 2-1 with a poor coverage decision.

Their lack of leadership right now is very discouraging.

#135 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Uhh sedins, bieksa, kesler, hamhuis all took pay cuts and they've played great lol so your point is irrelevant

Kesler has been a wash,Bieksa has shown up now and again and Hamhuis if he's playing great last 2 seasons,you must be watching a different team.

#136 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

The problem is...they are not adjusting. Their effectiveness is suffering and they have no answere just like in the playoffs.

With all the injuries to the team and the difficulty the team has had scoiring, the Sedin line has been the only constant. These guys have played together their entire careers and are what teh team's offensive strategy is built around. Now is the time when they should be leading and carrying the team through these hard times but that is not the case. It is the new guys and younger role players that are stepping up. Tanev, Schroeder, Raymond and Hansen have been our best players by far.

I have a tremendous amoutn of respect for the Sedins as players and people but just like in theplayoffs, they seem to be neutralized when things get tight and tough.

They should have fed off that AVs team last night and yet, they were barely noticeable despite their 20 minutes of ice-time. The only thing noticeable was the change in momentum afterthey passed on an open net chance on teh PP and then gave up a 2-1 with a poor coverage decision.

I still have faith that these guys can adjust. I'm noticing much more clutching and grabbing in the last 10-15 games. I hope this trend continues because the Sedins are too smart NOT to figure it out.

It's a tough adjustment when the rules completely change when the playoffs start but the Sedins will have over a full month of this style of hockey and my hope is, they will start altering their play in April and experiment with different styles like scoring off the rush, Hank shooting more, etc.

The inconsistency between regular season reffing and playoffs is what has hurt the Sedins the most in my opinion. Now that we are getting consistently bad reffing, I think the Sedins will find a way to produce

#137 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Goalies get plenty of blame for losses.

AV gets blamed for the team playing like crap because people are sick of seeing the Canucks try sit on a lead for 20-40 minutes of play. Hell, I hate seeing them dump the puck and change even when we are up two goals and there's only 5 minutes left on the clock.. get some offensive pressure on then, that's not the time to back off and turtle. Everyone sees them doing it, and it's bitten us a couple of times when teams tie it up because we're being too defensive and giving them too much time in our zone.

You realize EVERY team in the league dumps the puck in to make a change most of the time right...

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#138 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well said. Describes my thoughts and feelings as well. No shortsighted dimwits can come in and call someone a bandwagoner when their post is well thought out and articulated like this.

#139 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I still have faith that these guys can adjust. I'm noticing much more clutching and grabbing in the last 10-15 games. I hope this trend continues because the Sedins are too smart NOT to figure it out.

It's a tough adjustment when the rules completely change when the playoffs start but the Sedins will have over a full month of this style of hockey and my hope is, they will start altering their play in April and experiment with different styles like scoring off the rush, Hank shooting more, etc.

The inconsistency between regular season reffing and playoffs is what has hurt the Sedins the most in my opinion. Now that we are getting consistently bad reffing, I think the Sedins will find a way to produce

WE all hope you are right and for the Nucks to succeed, you better be.

However, after the SCF run and last year's playoffs where they wer unable to adjust, I am losing hope and they are not gettting any younger. They have shown zero inclination to score off the rush, in fact, they often stop up on a 3-2 etc to set up the cycle.

Colorado isn't an obstruction team compared to some of the contending teams yet they were totally inneffective last night even on the PP. The other players have to put up with the same clutching and grabbing the Sedins do yet they are finding ways to set up plays and produce.

Watching them pass up an open et on the PP to pass the puck back through traffic in front is very disturbing. That's just not a good NHL play in any book and it happens all the time. THe Twins play a rather 'static" cycle which is localized and doesn't spread out the defence. THey are the best in the world at it but it has proven to be "manageable" in the playoffs (and lately) where infractions are let go and teams play more physical. If you can hit one of the twins and pin him against the boards, their entire offensive strategy breaks down.

LIke I said, I respect their talent and durability but am not convinced their style can be productive in the "new NHL" or playoffs and if your top offensive guys can't be effective using up 20 minutes a night of ice time, you are going nowhere post-season.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 25 March 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#140 Banksy91

Banksy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Do you actually watch the games? You do realize that Schroeder did initially get his opportunity to play with Hansen and May Ray when he was first called up. He did not play that well and did not produce and as such was demoted and then eventually sent down. He was struggling. Please do not say that he was not given enough time initially to gel with the second line. In a short season like this you do not have time to allow youngsters to work things out and gel.

But after being demoted he was called back up and now he is finally playing well and producing. The demotion back to the AHL worked and lit a fire under him thus vindicating the decision of MG to send him down (that decision is not made by AV alone...)

So please everyone stop using this "he wasn't used properly" garbage. You have to earn your minutes on the second line. He was not earning before but now he is, simple as that.

#141 Banksy91

Banksy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

That's not how it works lol AV doesn't call up players from the wolves it's the GM who makes that decision and then asks AV if he can fit that player somewhere in the lineup. And how can you base everything on the injuries, call-ups and so on. Can you prove that if we had no injuries and were healthy that we still wouldn't be winning? Probably can't and so I thought :)

Actually, most likely what happens is that MG sits down with the coaches and they discuss what changes and call-ups are needed and try to come to consensus before making any final decision. Of course, MG will ultimately get the final say. No decision will be made in isolation without consultation between coaches and GM.

#142 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

The only reason the Canucks won this game was because of horrific goaltending by Colarado.

#143 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Really? I haven't seen him lace up the skates or stop any pucks.

I think Schneider deserves a lot of the credit, what with his show-stopping saves he's been making. Might just be me though.

Remember that then before he gets slagged for the Canucks poor performances. Must be fun to be the coach. If you win it's because the players did it all. If you lose it's the coaches fault, fire him.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#144 westvandude

westvandude

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

back on NW div lead, though wild has 2 gms in hand

just keep winning

good back to back gm effort.

Why would you abbreviate game to gm? it's only 2 extra letters.

#145 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

the team plays better with kesler and booth out because they accept their lack of offensive skill and grind out ugly wins. with those other two in the lineup they start thinking they can out score their opponents when they really can't.

Well 1) Booth sucks. Of course we play better without him.

2) It is unfortunate that Kesler is injury prone. When he is actually healthy, he is a great player. It still erks me that he doesn't pass

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.