73 replies to this topic

#31 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Because you don't understand just how hard it is to completely switch from defence to forward and actually look good doing it.......

He doesn't look good doing it. You can tell immediately he isn't geared for forward. yes he has filled in well and that is good. But 4 million for to keep him as forward? You're crazy man. He makes even Booth's 4 million look like a steal.

I like Ballard but his time here is up.

G4fSut.gif

#32 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

POPULAR

He doesn't look good doing it. You can tell immediately he isn't geared for forward. yes he has filled in well and that is good. But 4 million for to keep him as forward? You're crazy man. He makes even Booth's 4 million look like a steal.

I like Ballard but his time here is up.

When did I say they should keep him as a forward indefinitely? His time has been up here for over two years thanks to a coaching staff that does not understand how to use him properly so I will be happy to see him go elsewhere more for his sake than the Canucks.

Right now his 4.2 million makes no real difference though as it does not impact the team at all. When that changes I am sure they will move him out.

He has done the job pretty effectively I think. He has created more good offensive chances 5 on 5 in the two games he has been at forward than pretty much the entire forward corps minus Hansen, Raymond, and Schroeder have. He has helped make our forecheck actually look decent again. Is he a budding forward in defencemans clothing? Of course not.

But the fact that he has done it without it hurting the team and in fact even chipping in is something to give him credit for.

#33 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Ballard has always been capable of offensive flashes, but he's been a liability more times than not in his own end. A lot of people say it's the coaching staff not using him right - and maybe it is. But good players find a way to capitalize on their chances and hasn't.

Personally, I feel much of it has to do with confidence, and each mistake he makes only piles on to his nerves. To that end - having him play forward is a bonus on a lot of fronts. Right now, because of injuries/illness - he's an asset to have at forward; he's fast, creative and understands the defensive end enough to be able to backcheck well. Furthermore, he's playing more. And without that noose around his neck that each mistake will bench him, his confidence can grow.

I don't know if it'll be longer term, but I think the more he plays up the better it'll be in the long run until there's a better option. Right now, the teams winning, and there's not many better options than that. So I'd ride it out and let him play up there, and if/when the team makes a move or callup that betters the team on the front end, hopefully the playing time will help him when he moves back to defense.

I also think that having a player that is on a forward line that can play D when needed (injury or penalty kills) is an asset you can ignore.

Regardless of the hate for the guy, fans just want the team to do well. Right now it's helping and we're winning. So ride it out until it doesn't, or hope it continues and helps this guy get his head back to where it was years ago in Pheonix when he looked like a potential stud.

#34 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

I don't know what to think of this. It's sort of working, but it feels ridiculous at the same time. He's paid like a 3rd/4th defensemen, but gets treated like a 7th/8th while fighting for a 5th/6th spot, and now he's a better option on the wing that anyone we have on the farm?

I hope it ends up being a brilliant move, but I'm betting it ends up looking like more confused desperation. Does it boost his trade value to show that he can play every position? Should we put goalie pads on him next?

#35 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

As much as I like Ballard and think that he hasn't been given a fair shake in Vancouver, 4.2m on a 3rd or 4th line winger is too much IMO.
If that's how AV is going to use him, he should be traded.
Although I do agree that he is currently filling in nicely and it is great in a sense that he can change to playing defence.

#36 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

The way he has been skating hard on the fore-check, and digging pucks out of the corners with lots of hard work, is exactly what I have been wanting to see from the rest of our forwards... they way we used to play. Maybe this will rub off on to the rest of the players and we can find that "A" game again. At the same time, maybe Ballard can gain some confidence and score a couple before he goes back to his regular spot. This is one of those AV experiments that worked, and nice to have in the back pocket for later. I'd still like to see us call up Jensen though instead.

#37 mistaaT

mistaaT

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Yeah - not buying into the love.

Granted he may have outplayed some of the guys on the 4th line but overall he was pretty meh.

Looks lost out there and far too often reverted back to being a defender.

#38 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yup, a $4.2M 4th liner. So anyone who think this will work out needs to think of the buisness end of things

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#39 brownky

brownky

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Ballard is speedy and has great vision when it comes to passing. He isn't afraid to go to messy areas, and while he gets bumped off the puck a bit, if he can start to flex his offensive muscles on the wing, someone is going to cash in a lot of one-timers.

I actually think with his speed, he'd be a good match for Kesler on the wing. Ballard seems to think Pass-first, which to Kesler is gold.

But I don't break up the Hansen Schroeder Raymond line every game for awhile either, so what do I know?

#40 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Tied with booth for points as a winger

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#41 kessnasty

kessnasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Clearly he's been in the doghouse for some time. The extra work he's putting in (forechecking hard, etc.) is likely because he knows this is one of the few opportunities he will get from AV to prove himself.
However, to those who believe he's "enjoying" his time as a winger, I disagree. Any established top 4 defenseman (established enough to warrant a 4 mill+ contract at the time of the signing) prides themselves on all their hard work and dedication it took to get them to where they are (in Ballard's case, as a defenseman of value in the NHL). To me, it seems like AV is using Ballard as a spare part. It seems like Ballard is a bit sad to be honest. If you watch his interviews, he seems like he's holding back what he really wants to say about the line-up change from D-man to winger, and he quietly avoids questions about how he feels about his new role.
In the most recent postgame interview, he hints that he doesn't necessarily want this line-up change to last THAT long.

Just my opinion.
Please use proper reason and logic when making an argument.

#42 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Putting a defensemen up front isn't a reward for playing well. It means that he's not pulling his weight as a d-man. Remember when Bieksa got the same treatment a couple of years ago? It certainly wasn't because they wanted him to showcase his talents as a winger - it was because he was a liability on the back end.

#43 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

NO NO & NO

4 million for a guy who can barely play forward? I dont think so

and 5.3 for a back-up.

Subbancopy.jpg

#44 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

and 5.3 for a back-up.

Totally different situation.

Edited by freebass, 25 March 2013 - 10:19 AM.

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#45 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yup, a $4.2M 4th liner. So anyone who think this will work out needs to think of the buisness end of things

I thought he was on the 3rd line.

So you'd rather have a $4.2M fifth or sixth Dman? Or have him sitting in the press box?

This is obviously a temporary situation, due to all the injuries. I fully expect that Keith will be gone before next season.
Kudos to him for his effort and incredible ability to keep his mouth shut. A great team player.

#46 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Not likely to be a good line^ but I think he was better then 4th line I saw him on. I'd like to see him playing with Kessler actually. Could u imagine a Ballard/Kessler/Hansen or kassian checking line . Mean

It blows my mind that Canucks fans can't spell a players name. Especially Ryan Kesler of all players.

#47 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

It blows my mind that Canucks fans can't spell a players name. Especially Ryan Kesler of all players.

that an shea webber proposals

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#48 Blue & Green

Blue & Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Tied with booth for points as a winger

Lol, tied with Booth in who will be bought out first.

This Ballard love ballad is cracking me up.

#49 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yeah - not buying into the love.

Granted he may have outplayed some of the guys on the 4th line but overall he was pretty meh.

Looks lost out there and far too often reverted back to being a defender.

I am in wonder of the ignorance shown in this Forum at times .. did you learn hockey doing play-by-play with your brother on a table hockey game? .. if so, I think you should stop playing with a marble and go back to the "puck" .. Ballard epitomizes what a good team player is .. period.

And the sooner he is gone, the sooner folks can focus on just how bad Bieksa can be at times ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 25 March 2013 - 11:42 AM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#50 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Kessler:

Posted Image

Kesler:

Posted Image

Know the difference

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#51 Jma7

Jma7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

I agree with the need to deal Ballard, but the difficult question is what are you willing to trade him for. I think Ballard could have been great here in Vancouver but his confidence really was shaken when he was continually benched. I am guessing that he could be traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick at this time, perhaps less with other teams knowing that the Canucks want to deal him. I'm not sure if that is worth dealing him or not
Posted Image

#52 ckris

ckris

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Mmm.. still looks the same to me.

Kessler:

%20http://www.writeups.org/img/inset/MassEff_ME1guns_h2.jpg%20

Kesler:

%20http://nationalpostsports.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/051611-kesler.jpg?w=620%20

Know the difference

#53 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Kesssler. or Kesler or Kessler. You know who he is, why the hate for a sticky key board or to fast a keystroke.?
Save the indignation for things that matter.

#54 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Kesssler. or Kesler or Kessler. You know who he is, why the hate for a sticky key board or to fast a keystroke.?
Save the indignation for things that matter.

Sticky keyboard my a*ss.

Hanson! Kessler! Weiss!

Figure it out children...

#55 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

POPULAR

If Ballard is happy and AV is happy I am delirious.

The great players in any sport can make a fist of playing in any position and Ballard will only get better as he plays more.

On top of that the guy is just so keen to stay here and be part of the team..............that says it all for me.
Kevin.jpg

#56 A Skylit Drive

A Skylit Drive

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Love it he should be there permanently unless there is an injury to one of our key let side defenders.

I agree 100%
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageRip Luc Bourdon Forever a canuck...

#57 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

The great players in any sport can make a fist of playing in any position and Ballard will only get better as he plays more.

On top of that the guy is just so keen to stay here and be part of the team..............that says it all for me.

I agree with this. He's all about this team, and those are the sorts of players you want on the roster.

#58 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I don't know what to think of this. It's sort of working, but it feels ridiculous at the same time. He's paid like a 3rd/4th defensemen, but gets treated like a 7th/8th while fighting for a 5th/6th spot, and now he's a better option on the wing that anyone we have on the farm?

I hope it ends up being a brilliant move, but I'm betting it ends up looking like more confused desperation. Does it boost his trade value to show that he can play every position? Should we put goalie pads on him next?

That's a great idea. We can then trade Lu or Schneider and not have to worry about finding another goalie to fill the backup role. :lol:

Edited by darnucks, 25 March 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#59 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

.... Van wins 3 games and Ballard is automatically a good foward in the eyes of CDC :picard: when we start to lose expect him to be the reason in peoples minds. Ballard is a D man and is meant to play D. Screw playing a D man as a foward, Van needs natural wingers playing god are we really this desperate? if so then we need to rebuild big time

#60 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Geez watch it, Bodee .. that is the second +1 I have given you this month .. I would swear Hell froze over, but it is finally melting here today .. :towel:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.