The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard the winger

Nuck-Shot

Clearly he's been in the doghouse for some time. The extra work he's putting in (forechecking hard, etc.) is likely because he knows this is one of the few opportunities he will get from AV to prove himself.

However, to those who believe he's "enjoying" his time as a winger, I disagree. Any established top 4 defenseman (established enough to warrant a 4 mill+ contract at the time of the signing) prides themselves on all their hard work and dedication it took to get them to where they are (in Ballard's case, as a defenseman of value in the NHL). To me, it seems like AV is using Ballard as a spare part. It seems like Ballard is a bit sad to be honest. If you watch his interviews, he seems like he's holding back what he really wants to say about the line-up change from D-man to winger, and he quietly avoids questions about how he feels about his new role.

In the most recent postgame interview, he hints that he doesn't necessarily want this line-up change to last THAT long.

Just my opinion.

Putting a defensemen up front isn't a reward for playing well. It means that he's not pulling his weight as a d-man. Remember when Bieksa got the same treatment a couple of years ago? It certainly wasn't because they wanted him to showcase his talents as a winger - it was because he was a liability on the back end.

I agree with the need to deal Ballard, but the difficult question is what are you willing to trade him for. I think Ballard could have been great here in Vancouver but his confidence really was shaken when he was continually benched. I am guessing that he could be traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick at this time, perhaps less with other teams knowing that the Canucks want to deal him. I'm not sure if that is worth dealing him or not

If Ballard is happy and AV is happy I am delirious.

The great players in any sport can make a fist of playing in any position and Ballard will only get better as he plays more.

On top of that the guy is just so keen to stay here and be part of the team..............that says it all for me.

The great players in any sport can make a fist of playing in any position and Ballard will only get better as he plays more.

On top of that the guy is just so keen to stay here and be part of the team..............that says it all for me.

I don't know what to think of this. It's sort of working, but it feels ridiculous at the same time. He's paid like a 3rd/4th defensemen, but gets treated like a 7th/8th while fighting for a 5th/6th spot, and now he's a better option on the wing that anyone we have on the farm?

I hope it ends up being a brilliant move, but I'm betting it ends up looking like more confused desperation. Does it boost his trade value to show that he can play every position? Should we put goalie pads on him next?

.... Van wins 3 games and Ballard is automatically a good foward in the eyes of CDC :picard: when we start to lose expect him to be the reason in peoples minds. Ballard is a D man and is meant to play D. Screw playing a D man as a foward, Van needs natural wingers playing god are we really this desperate? if so then we need to rebuild big time

Archived