The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond... keep or trade?

Mrock-763

Trade him right F?#!%@G now (LOL), his value is somewhat high now. He's a streaky player and I think he can be easily replaced by Jensen/Kassian next year.

I think Mason is not solid enough to be a 2nd liner on a contender, but he doesn't fit well on our bottom 6 either, Higgins and Hansen are better suited.

I'd be happy with a 2nd round pick in this year, since it is a deep draft.

Don't think it'll matter. Buffalo loves Ott, and is trying to re-sign him. Ott has much more value than Raymond on either team. Ott does everything. If Raymond isn't scoring he's invisible. There's plenty of guys who can play a better defensive/grind/PK game then him.

All you people talking about streaky player, not there in the playoffs da da da da da.

Who exactly are you comparing him with? I would be interested to know which of them severely damaged their back and had a number of other play affecting injuries.

It was a miracle this player came back as soon as he did.

It is also a myth he doesn't perform in the playoffs. He has the 5th highest number of shots and 6th highest points despite injuries.

Completely agree. The guy took a paycut this year to prove his worth so I expect him to look for a nice raise after this season.

This is great in a sense that he's stepping up and scoring timely goals when we need him to (with our injury depleted line up) and it also sets us up to make a nice trade at the deadline because I think he has definitely upped his value this season.

This guy was negative value last season.

If we could add a solid piece (proven performer) by packaging Raymond + another asset (draft pick, roster player or prospect) we should definitely move forward because despite his play as of late, there's too many question marks with Raymond (playoff performance, contract year, whether he can sustain this play, etc)

Raymond's career ceiling will be 25 goals

Right now, he is playing lights out (in terms of his potential) where we are happy with his performance again but at the end of the day, he's still only on pace for 46 pts and 23 goals in a regular 82 game season.

If we can get a perennial 50 pt player who has grit, why on earth wouldn't we trade for him?

You're not going to get what you're looking for. Raymond is a ufa at the end of the year. This means teams out of the playoffs won't be interested. Teams in the playoff picture are looking to add pieces not subtract them. Anybody interested in Raymond would be looking to trade prospects/picks as opposed to quality roster players for him. Which won't help our playoff picture at all. Unlike ea, a trade in real life has to benefit both sides.

I have to admit he's proved me wrong. Resign him if he will take a manageable deal.

He looks different this year finally playing with a real playmaker. 27 years old so he's just entering his prime years here. The next 3 or 4 years will probably be his career years. Keep the home grown talent and get rid of Booth Ballard.

I was miffed with his play last year.

BUT, he was recovering from a major back injury....

This year with Hansen and Shroeder , Guys that can keep up with him and can distribute the puck....

I would not break the chemistry these guys are enoying...especially when it translates onto the scoreboard!

You're not going to get what you're looking for. Raymond is a ufa at the end of the year. This means teams out of the playoffs won't be interested. Teams in the playoff picture are looking to add pieces not subtract them. Anybody interested in Raymond would be looking to trade prospects/picks as opposed to quality roster players for him. Which won't help our playoff picture at all. Unlike ea, a trade in real life has to benefit both sides.

For starters, Hansen is contracted for 1.35 mill, this season and next. What are you talking about, too many 3rd line $3 mill wingers???

:ph34r:

And Raymond most expendable?

Well off the top line he's our most versatile scoring forward with Kesler injured. He's virtually the one Canuck this year routinely catching goalies unaware sniping goals from all over the place. Slap shots off the break, a hot wrist shot cutting through the slot, dekes, the spin o'rama in the shoot out... Hansen would be next in line, but he does not add the same element of puck control. Raymond has looked dangerous all year!

I say keep, and get our physicality elsewhere. We're back to 8 games above 500 (even i caught myself looking at doomsday) without Kesler. We're gonna get him back and have Booth + Manny's equivalent salary to spend at the deadline. Can't see us offloading Raymond for futures.

It depends whether or not the Canucks think he is a top six forward or not. If you are going to pay Hansen and Raymond both 3 Million, then you have a problem because that's too much for 2 guys who are 3rd liners and unproven top six forwards. If I had to choose one, it would be Hansen easily. Then, there's Higgins. Unfortunately, it isn't necessarily who is the guy with more skill, it's the guy with more chemistry with Kesler. That's why Higgins should be re-signed. Raymond is the odd man out, imo.

The only way, all three(the 3rd liners, that are occasionally on the 2nd line). Is that, Jordan Schoeder solidifies himself as a 3rd line center, and that the team somehow finds a way to get rid of Booth, Ballard, Luongo, and a lot more salary. It's also key, to sign a proper scoring forward.

Real Lucky that Hansen has an one more year in his contract, so there's time but I've said it at the start of the season. Only one of Raymond, Booth, or Higgins will stay. Trying to move Booth will be difficult, Raymond may be able to land more money/better roster spot elsewhere, and Higgins will probably be the cheapest and has the best chemistry with Kesler.

Add the fact that Kassian should be eventually getting better, and Jensen is stepping up. There's no reason to sign so many wingers for around the 3M. Raymond is probably the most expendable.

You mean like he did last season? :picard:

Btw, the year after his 25 goal season his even strength production was just about identical despite a broken thumb and shoulder injury. Where his production dropped was on the pp. Which should have been expected. When you combine getting 33% less pp time with your 70 point center is replaced with a 30 point center a drop in production is to be expected. Which is to say he wasn't "garbage" that season.

Archived