The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond... keep or trade?

Mrock-763

First you're wrong.

Ott is a UFA in 2014-15

Second,if you think Raymond gives them a better chance of getting in the playoffs or playing better in the playoffs you're dreaming. EVERY team wants a guy like Ott and that's exactly why BUF gave up a first to get him.

Third, why trade for a rental like Raymond if you could try and sign him for free in the off season? Why give up an asset for that?

derp derp

Raymond is freaking sick and a lot of you still hate on him. Even when he wasnt producing he was still a very valuable player. Guys a legit forward and I think he still might have a 30 goal season or two. Definite keeper for the next couple seasons.

This is Raymonds first year after a string of injuries, T-1st in goals for the team and 4th in points. I think he could do even better next year with some momentum built up and added time with Hansen/Schroeder/Kes.

The entire team is underwhelming on the score sheet come playoffs. Raymond still fits the bill of a guy that could step up though, while everyone wants a bruising powerforward, Raymond has more goals for us in the playoffs than Bertuzzi did in his 8 year tenure.

sign him for a year or 2. see how much the cap rises, try to get rid of booth and ballard if we haven't already and give him a nice pay rise if he continues to preform after that.

Seems to me that MayRay is motivated by the hope of a big pay day. Watch his production drop off next year, when he reverts back to the perimeter game we have been long accustomed to. Since there is almost zero chance of us matching what he might possibly receive in the open market , I say trade him while his value is high. Possibly to a contender for a prospect or 2013 first rounder to restock the cupboards, or risk getting nothing in return. With Pittsburgh loading up today, it is looking more and more like our chances this year are fading fast...

Uhh I wouldnt think to bring Ott here for his scoring prowess.. just saying. Not sure why youre comparing points with two players, one who is a spiner/scorer and another who is more edgy and gritty role player.. who does their role better?

This is Raymonds first year after a string of injuries, T-1st in goals for the team and 4th in points. I think he could do even better next year with some momentum built up and added time with Hansen/Schroeder/Kes.

The entire team is underwhelming on the score sheet come playoffs. Raymond still fits the bill of a guy that could step up though, while everyone wants a bruising powerforward, Raymond has more goals for us in the playoffs than Bertuzzi did in his 8 year tenure.

It depends whether or not the Canucks think he is a top six forward or not. If you are going to pay Hansen and Raymond both 3 Million, then you have a problem because that's too much for 2 guys who are 3rd liners and unproven top six forwards. If I had to choose one, it would be Hansen easily. Then, there's Higgins. Unfortunately, it isn't necessarily who is the guy with more skill, it's the guy with more chemistry with Kesler. That's why Higgins should be re-signed. Raymond is the odd man out, imo.

The only way, all three(the 3rd liners, that are occasionally on the 2nd line). Is that, Jordan Schoeder solidifies himself as a 3rd line center, and that the team somehow finds a way to get rid of Booth, Ballard, Luongo, and a lot more salary. It's also key, to sign a proper scoring forward.

Real Lucky that Hansen has an one more year in his contract, so there's time but I've said it at the start of the season. Only one of Raymond, Booth, or Higgins will stay. Trying to move Booth will be difficult, Raymond may be able to land more money/better roster spot elsewhere, and Higgins will probably be the cheapest and has the best chemistry with Kesler.

Add the fact that Kassian should be eventually getting better, and Jensen is stepping up. There's no reason to sign so many wingers for around the 3M. Raymond is probably the most expendable.

Archived