The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we owe AV an apology?

DSVII

I love al the av gushing now in this thread after schnieder gets rolling and.the canucks win a couple lower scoring games. Puleeeze.

Lets see what everyone is saying in a month if the canucks start to go back the other way and we cant buy goals versus teams who are actual playoff threats.

I will never beleive that the canucks win the cup with av,. Just not gonna happen.

Y'all ignorant fools have cost this team ten times more games putting all your negativity out there than Vigneault has since he was hired. He's an excellent coach who understands the value of defence and individual responsibility. How many people are there with their ropes tied to the back of the Canucks' bandwagon, digging their heels in, pulling with all their might to hold this team back, claiming to be fans? Refusing to root for the team properly until the coach is fired, or the goalie is traded, or this or that player is switched to this or that line, or the GM says what they themselves are thinking? Sack up and root for your team, or find one that you want to root for.

There is a black cloud hanging over this franchise, a poisonous atmosphere, ever since we lost the Finals. That should have been counted a success but fools have let it fester and rot, and defined it as a failure when it was our greatest achievement in almost two decades. We need to lance this boil, scour it and cauterize it before the rot gets any deeper and gets into any truly essential systems...we have been lucky so far, but it's time to be smart as well. When a successful team's own fans are actively rooting against it, the hockey gods will only tolerate that for so long. The end of last season is a taste of what we will all get for a main course, if y'all don't recognize your wrongs and repent what you're doing.

:picard: Yes just now we praise AV for his accomplishments these last few games... Forget his winning-est coach in franchise history by a huge margin, Forget the back to back president's trophies (franchise firsts) forget the absolute dominance of the NW division under his tenure, forget the Jack Adams trophy, forget the fact he coached this team to 1 win of the ultimate prize under impossible conditions... forget all that lets just judge him on the last 4 games.

As someone else stated yes Schneider played well but players playing well has nothing at all to do with the coach - only people who have never played the game before would make such a claim.

What about us fans who still root for the team but want changes so things can maybe get even better?

Just because someone wants to see changes to improve the team it does not make them less of a fan or suggest they have abandoned them at all.

There is a difference between being a bandwagon fan and being a passionate fan. Being a passionate fan of a team does not mean you cannot question the team or worry about the direction they are headed. In fact, the "fan" you describe would never care enough to stick around to make any complaints at all - because to complain about or question anything you have to actually give a crap about it.

I don't think fans like you are bandwagon fans. You trust that whatever the team does is the right thing and worth cheering for without question. I applaud you for that and don't look down on that at all. But I also don't think a fan like me who does question the team's moves and such at times is any less a fan than you are. Me being a fan for over 30 years rules me out as a a bandwagoner by definition, doesn't it?

No one says you can't question things or criticize the team... but to constantly lay the blame for all the woes of a team on one guy, while ignoring his elite coaching resume is not fair. He can coach till his eyeballs burst out of his head but ultimately its up to the players to preform. Unfortunately all the coaches in the league better than AV already have jobs... I don't see the rationale to do a major shakeup like the overhaul of the coaching staff while we are still competing for the division lead.

You can say he hasn't had much success in the playoff, often times citing he has only made it past the 2nd round once, but he still has a better playoff record than any other coach we have had before. This team CAN win with AV behind the bench... just ask any of the players and I am sure they will tell you that is 100% how they feel.

He was worse in his first go round on the second line. He was producing next to nothing and creating just as much. He was not playing well and that can't fly on the top 6. He had a chance to stay with the club and really didn't do anything. You can say it was because he was on the 4th line but honestly even when he's played with the 4th line since his call up he looked way better.

No...that is not why he's paid the big bucks.

And if you are wrong the unfortunate truth is more things will be found to pick out and complain about. You said it yourself...why give AV credit. Seriously if you can't give any credit your criticism can't be considered objective at all.

Not trying to change your opinion. I'm saying though that you stance (unreasonable hatred by your own words) is just as ridiculous as the ones gushing over AV who think he does no wrong. Blind support and blind hatred are both blind and equally stupid points of view.

You could say the exact same thing you just said about many of the players as well. Truth is if you can't give credit and criticism your opinion is pretty weak.

That pretty much sums up my stance. I think it is time for a coaching change and have for a few years now. That's just my opinion and I always respect people who disagree. It drives me nuts when both sides of the argument refuse to give credit/ criticism. AV deserves credit and he deserves criticism. It doesn't mean that you're not a fan because you point these things out. Everyone seems to take it so personally if someone has a different perspective on the matter.

What do people expect out of this team? From my perspective - we're built from the back out (at least salary wise). We have solid goaltending and quality defense. This is our strength and the reason we're still in the playoff hunt.

The fact that we have gone the year with only Hank and Lappy as proven NHL centers for the majority of the season is the reason we're not running away with the NW as usual.

I have no idea why people are piling onto AV when this is clearly above his head (an MG issue.)

For a team that says "we only care about the cup" we sure cry about the regular season.

I'll reserve judgement until after the playoffs, as usual.

Edit: While I don't think AV is the be-all and end-all of coaching, anyone who wants a head coach fired while maintaining a playoff spot and working with 75% of the available salary cap for a season is a fool.

Analogy: I don't like Christy Clark and the Liberal government... but if an earthquake hit tomorrow I wouldn't be calling for her head.

I would be calling for her head if the province wasn't able to adequately able to respond to the emergency.

Condescending explanation: In light of the current Canucks roster, I don't blame Alain Vignault for the current injury, roster and subsequent production of the Canucks lineup this season.

I would be blaming him if the team was unable to cope and found itself out of a playoff spot.

What do people expect out of this team? From my perspective - we're built from the back out (at least salary wise). We have solid goaltending and quality defense. This is our strength and the reason we're still in the playoff hunt.

The fact that we have gone the year with only Hank and Lappy as proven NHL centers for the majority of the season is the reason we're not running away with the NW as usual.

I have no idea why people are piling onto AV when this is clearly above his head (an MG issue.)

For a team that says "we only care about the cup" we sure cry about the regular season.

I'll reserve judgement until after the playoffs, as usual.

Edit: While I don't think AV is the be-all and end-all of coaching, anyone who wants a head coach fired while maintaining a playoff spot and working with 75% of the available salary cap for a season is a fool.

Analogy: I don't like Christy Clark and the Liberal government... but if an earthquake hit tomorrow I wouldn't be calling for her head.

I would be calling for her head if the province wasn't able to adequately able to respond to the emergency.

Condescending explanation: In light of the current Canucks roster, I don't blame Alain Vignault for the current injury, roster and subsequent production of the Canucks lineup this season.

I would be blaming him if the team was unable to cope and found itself out of a playoff spot.

Your analogy is flawed though.

You are suggesting that the Canucks poor play this season is completely random (which an earthquake is in relation to anyone doing anything to cause it) and has absolutely nothing at all to do with the coaching staff. Right off the bat you are coming from a position that is 100% false. Coaching decisions good or bad impact the results on the ice even if people disagree as to how much of an impact it has.

So you don't believe that this team would be in real trouble in the standings if Calgary, Edmonton, and Colorado were even above average teams? I beg to differ.

Y'all ignorant fools have cost this team ten times more games putting all your negativity out there than Vigneault has since he was hired. He's an excellent coach who understands the value of defence and individual responsibility. How many people are there with their ropes tied to the back of the Canucks' bandwagon, digging their heels in, pulling with all their might to hold this team back, claiming to be fans? Refusing to root for the team properly until the coach is fired, or the goalie is traded, or this or that player is switched to this or that line, or the GM says what they themselves are thinking? Sack up and root for your team, or find one that you want to root for.

There is a black cloud hanging over this franchise, a poisonous atmosphere, ever since we lost the Finals. That should have been counted a success but fools have let it fester and rot, and defined it as a failure when it was our greatest achievement in almost two decades. We need to lance this boil, scour it and cauterize it before the rot gets any deeper and gets into any truly essential systems...we have been lucky so far, but it's time to be smart as well. When a successful team's own fans are actively rooting against it, the hockey gods will only tolerate that for so long. The end of last season is a taste of what we will all get for a main course, if y'all don't recognize your wrongs and repent what you're doing.

Archived