The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we owe AV an apology?

DSVII

-AV is a good coach.

-The players on this team are also very good.

-Sometimes good players play bad.

-Sometimes good coaches coach poorly.

-Bad coaches still win games.

-Bad players still win games.

-Neither AV nor the players are any more responsible for a win streak than they are for a losing record.

-Changing players around could be the impetus for a vast improvement in the teams record.

-Changing the coach could do the same thing.

-An apology is not owed from anyone whose position has been consistent for a reasonable amount of time, unless you support your argument with "AV only chews gum LOL :picard: " or "AV haters are dum :picard::towel: ", and in these two cases, apologies are owed from the parents and teachers of said offenders.

As far as the apology...it wouldn't mean anything anyway really. The idea here is being passionate about ones team. Sometimes that might mean blindly following or unfairly criticizing that team. The trick is to find the middle ground but both of those come with being a fan. No apology needed...as soon as we lose a game or two it will just go right back. AV is a guy who does not get enough credit for this team; but that doesn't mean he can't be or shouldn't be replaced.

m k.

Who is truly a good coach then?

Uh, Babcock only won Cups because of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc.

Bylsma won the Jack Adams because of Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Letang, etc

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

'But anyone could win with Roberto'....

whateva

m k.

Who is truly a good coach then?

Uh, Babcock only won Cups because of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc.

Bylsma won the Jack Adams because of Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Letang, etc

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

'But anyone could win with Roberto'....

whateva

I don't.

I've never slagged him, if only, because I like a laid back approach. Some coaches are very "in your face", yell/stress/etc. I don't believe you get positive out of negative behaviour. Sure, they're grown men and you don't have to coddle the players, but I really feel that in order to get people to perform you treat them with respect and allow them to work through issues. When players aren't performing well, they already know that...they don't need someone to point it out to them (for the most part). What they do need is direction and ideas in how to turn things around.

I believe AV has just the right amount of "grip" on the boys....when you have a core of players in place that's been around and together for awhile, they usually know what needs to be done. Just support them in that and guide them if necessary.

People don't know all the in's/out's of the Ballard situation, etc. It isn't always revealed if players aren't 100%, etc., so there is always possibility of reasons beyond what we see from the outside.

Haven't read the thread (yet)...will do so now. But, based on the title, this is how I feel. Go AV.

-AV is a good coach.

-The players on this team are also very good.

-Sometimes good players play bad.

-Sometimes good coaches coach poorly.

-Bad coaches still win games.

-Bad players still win games.

-Neither AV nor the players are any more responsible for a win streak than they are for a losing record.

-Changing players around could be the impetus for a vast improvement in the teams record. (or, it could completely disrupt the chemistry that comes with familiarity and take us from being a team that has a pretty good shot and is in the thick of things in the recent past to a team that isn't...our record hasn't been a problem, our playoff performances have been....but I attribute MUCH of that to injuries and being shellshocked by piss poor officiating. I believe they're learning to adjust to this and will adapt accordingly)

-Changing the coach could do the same thing. again - "could", or could have a negative impact

-An apology is not owed from anyone whose position has been consistent for a reasonable amount of time, unless you support your argument with "AV only chews gum LOL :picard: " or "AV haters are dum :picard::towel: ", and in these two cases, apologies are owed from the parents and teachers of said offenders.

In doing so (having time to read some of the comments), I've added something that you've overlooked. :) What we do know is that this team/coach is capable of coming very close to winning it all. What we don't is how someone else may fare in that if brought in. How they'll adjust/fit in, etc. So do we go with the unknown, to try to improve on something that's a proven formula for at least some success? Or do we stick with it and hope that the valuable experience of a team that's been through this (together) before will allow for tweaks and adjustments that may just put them over the edge?

We know team toughness in the playoffs has been an issue.

We know the officiating has been awful and inconsistent.

I say we go with what we know and who we have and learn to push back, as has been the case (to some degree). Dish it out as well as take it.

Saw Kadri go at Chara with a good hit last night...didn't care that it was the 9 foot beast...he played him hard despite this. Our guys need to do this...go down swinging (basically).

Sure, a SC win would be awesome but it would be so much sweeter with the guys who have been trying to get us there.

Well said however.

-Homer Deb

I'm on record as saying:

If AV wins a cup with Vancouver, I will declare him the greatest Canucks coach ever.

I still stand by that statement. Until then I say he's a good coach, not a great coach.

said it before and il say it again .. hes the best coach for the circumstance we are in this year .. he just doesnt do as well with a high offence team ,, he can grind and eak out low scoring wins like he did the first year .. give him talent and he doesnt change from that style ..

AV owes us an apology!

1- not playing Hodgsen enough to keep him interested in staying here, plus slaming him about pain threshol

Hasn't the "Hodgsen" topic been covered already, the lil' prima donna wanted to be played somewhere between or above Sedins and Kesler and that was not going to happen. Nothing AV could do about Cody wanting royal ice time that was not available.

2-playing Schroeder and other offensive youngsters on the 4th line

Please read the above sentence: "playing Schroeder and other AHL bubble youngsters on the 4th line"

3-Garrison not on pwrplay til 20 + games

I think AV was waiting for Garrison to hone is signature slap shot to the point that it actually hit the net more than 0.02% of the time.

4-giving Edler all the minutes inspite of his miscues

Letting your top players play through a slump... Lets take the top 20 best coaches in NHL history and see what percent of them do not employ the "play through it" tactic.

5-having a pwrplay that in the last three yrs is sinking like a led zepplin

Having a powerplay that struck fear into the very heart of the opposition two seasons ago, was okay last season and, yes, has tanked this season. If this seasons crap PP is AV's fault than the killer PP of two seasons ago was his doing too.

Also, when someone mentions that someone or something is falling like a led zeppelin than they should be wary of the comeback being an untitled 4th album of pure platinum hits (or it's metaphorical equivalent).

I could go on, but what's the point, he wins and that's the bottom line, is it not?

Pfft no. Hows our power play been for the last year? We've been struggleing with coaching type problems since the boston game last year. Guy needs to grow a pair with players that are underachieving too. Get caught puck watching again kb3 or edler? Guess what, you get to bag skate and get 12 mins next game while ballard/tanev move up to 2nd pair.

Goalies have been keeping this team afloat for too long. AV needs to go.

Pfft no. Hows our power play been for the last year? We've been struggleing with coaching type problems since the boston game last year. Guy needs to grow a pair with players that are underachieving too. Get caught puck watching again kb3 or edler? Guess what, you get to bag skate and get 12 mins next game while ballard/tanev move up to 2nd pair.

Goalies have been keeping this team afloat for too long. AV needs to go.

Archived