The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kiprusoff to the Leafs

Maybe some team will bite on Iggy, but you have to be retarded to think that a roster player + 2nd round pick is a good deal for a rental player that may or may not re-sign with that team. Joe Morrow is not a roster player, and one of the 2nd round picks for Murray will become a 3rd round pick if the Pens get knocked out early or if Murray doesn't re-sign with Pittsburgh.

Imagine you are Chicago, LA, or whoever. You give up a top 9 forward, or top 6 defenseman and a 2nd (or 1st)round pick for Iginla. You then lose in round 1 or 2 and Iggy decides to test the market or go back to Calgary. The team making the deal is left with essentially nothing. If nothing else, the pick has to be conditional on the team re-signing Iginla or at least making the 3rd round.

Sounds like a great deal....if you are a Flames fan. For the other 29 teams, it might be better just to wait and try to sign him as a UFA next year. The teams that are 'contenders' supposedly on Iggy's list (All of them won the Stanley Cup in recent years) obviously have done it before without him, so I don't see why they would have to break the bank to get him.

I wouldn't be surprised if a deal doesn't get done and Iggy finishes the season with Calgary. It's not like he's a centre or a defenseman. Most of those teams (maybe with the exception of LA) can already score, they need depth and defensive strength.

This explains why you could never manage a team.

You can either be bad/mediocre/above average team every year...........................or.....................you go all in and try to be the best.

Sometimes you have to go all in as you're not going to "magically" win a cup when you don't improve your team.

lol, so its a horrible deal to give up their back up goalie ( who they have been offering up as trade bait as long as we have Luongo) who has no future on the team while Quick is around, but a good deal if they gave up a first and a second round pick?

Calgary sent two more scouts to the Boston game today, and they have been scouting them for a while. Boston is struggling to score and Iggy's the perfect fit and plays a style that suits the Bruins.

The price for Iggy is 1st, bluechip prospect and a B level prospect. For teams looking to add Iggy they won't give up significant roster players, obviously.

Someone will always overpay come trade deadline lol. Even a guy like Gaustad can fetch a 1st. I'm not worried about teams paying for someone like Iggy, neither should you especially given the recent trades.

and I'm retarded to think Iggy can get us a good return? good one lol

If you think Iginla as a rental should garner a 1st round pick, a bluechip prospect and another prospect/pick unconditionally, then yes, I do think you are retarded. It may be more plausible if the 1st round pick is conditional upon Iginla re-signing with the team, with the clause that it becomes a 2nd if he doesn't. More importantly, I would think that a GM that thinks this is a good idea to also be retarded.

Here's why: All of the teams Iggy has put on the 'supposed list' are recent Cup winners, so I don't see any motivation by any of them to mortgage the future to 'win now' when they already have won recently. All 4 of those teams are strong as they are right now, and I would think twice about giving up future talent for a forward that may or may not make an impact (Jarome will start with less ice time on many of these teams, they are much deeper up front than Calgary is)

Toronto may do alright without getting someone new for their crease, b/c I think Scrivens has the potential to do well; instead, I think if Kipper's not moved in this deadline Tampa may have interest in him in the off-season. They're not going to be buyers now but repeatedly it's been noted that they may be one good goalie away from contending. Kipper could be the guy.

Regarding Iginla, I REALLY hope the Bruins don't get him... not only would he help their offense but as mentioned he's tough, and it's not like the Bruins aren't that already (though any of Bruins/ Pens/ Rangers if they make it could be interesting to watch); if they do deal him, I hope Feaster gets Marchand as part of the deal, and we'll see if he's so tough without his Bruins line-mates defending his antics :P

You said he was worth a 1st, a bluechipper, and another prospect. Your words. And I do think you wear thick Flames coloured glasses.

I see no problem trading Iginla for a prospect only, or for a couple picks. Multiple picks AND/or multiple prospects for a rental player, that's where I think the value sinks. The team taking on Iginla is taking the bigger risk, the other team's return should be tempered somewhat to reflect that. He's not a 30 year old Gretzky, he's not worth a king's ransom.

By the way, one of the picks for Murray is conditional, as I said. If he's gone or if Pitts is out early, it's a 3rd round pick instead.

If the Flames want picks and prospects for Iggy, they are crazy to expect it all to be unconditional.

Archived