The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keith Ballard may stay a forward

Anyone saying Ballard has struggled this year has issues with reality. Saying that there are three games he wishes he could do over is fair however. Ballard has played a very solid season, at all positions. He has handled BS treatment like few athletes do, with honor.

This, he was our best defenseman early on. Then his play slipped a bit to the standard the rest of our defense has played at this year. Which, when Ballard plays like that is "struggling".

Just wish AV would give him consistent opportunity. He makes great plays, is really good one on one, great shot blocked, can bail out his defense partner and is really good at getting the puck out of the zone and up to the forward. Which is harder than it seems.

Ballard is probably one of our more hard-hitting forwards which is good and bad, but he still has that defensive mind set keeping him deeper in our zone than he's suppose to be. He did seem good parked in front of Bobrovsky and that Bobrovsky save in OT on Ballard was amazing.

holy dear oh dear what the catasrophy this canuck forwards are yes loads are injured yes many several ahls have came yes they came and gone get hurt yes the times have come for ballard yes ballard is the defense that the canuck have and oh deary dear when the defence ballard is the forward yes the canuck are in trouble what a numbers this diseases are taking on yes none others than canuck.

He created some great chances against Columbus tonight and made one or two amazing passes that lead to great scoring opportunities. Even nearly had a tap in goal.

Ballard is a far better forward than he is defender, and that's what this team needs right now. We've got plenty of big, physical bodies on the back-end like Alberts, Barker and even Vandermeer waiting in the wings, but not enough forwards right now. Ballard is turning out to be a speedy power-forward; something every team searches for. He's got 1 assist in his last 3 games and has generated plenty of offence - that's more than most Canucks (even more than Daniel Sedin).

Bufuglein(sp?) was a forward on Chicago and did a good job at it. I'm sure we all remember how annoying he was in front of Luongo. Ballard could potentially do the same maybe?

He plays D now in Winnipeg which I'm pretty sure is his natural position (unless I'm mistaken in which case my whole point is worthless now haha)

+/- is a team stat, not an individual player stat. And if having two poor games in a row is enough to get scratched every player on our team would have spent time in the press box at some point.

+/- is totally over-emphasized to point out how great or crappy an individual player is. It is even more ridiculous to point to it in a single game or two rather than over a much longer period of time anyway.

Who the hell cares about +/-......

Im pretty sure everybody here but you cares more about winning than about a friggin' +/- stat

Plus Bally has been going hard on the forecheck and doing what a legitimate top 9 forward should do.......

..........You should know that if you are a legitimate Canucks fan and watch their friggin' games :picard::picard::picard:

While we're short a few guys I don't mind this move. He skates very well and (obviously) is aware defensively.

This thread alluded to it being a long term thing though.

He is not a top 6 forward because he won't put up top 6 numbers (hi Booth), and although he has the defensive tools to play in the bottom 6, his contract is too bloated to justify him down there.

He's a defenceman. Not a forward. If it helps short term, great. But long term he doesn't fit for the reasons I just mentioned.

+/- is a team stat, not an individual player stat. And if having two poor games in a row is enough to get scratched every player on our team would have spent time in the press box at some point.

+/- is totally over-emphasized to point out how great or crappy an individual player is. It is even more ridiculous to point to it in a single game or two rather than over a much longer period of time anyway.

Archived